IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Feb 22, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #1,816 of 2,101
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm more confident in buying the MM as my next IEM now.

I was hearing good things about Kublai Khan, EVO, Sultan, Turii, and u12t for metal/rock, but I really wanted to go TOTL with the hype of MM. I just wasn't sure if I'd be missing out when it comes to my favorite genre on the Mentor since I haven't heard much people mention those genres on this IEM.

I owned EVO for best part of a year. I think was ok with metal but the bass dominance got boring after a while. It clouded the treble making it seem rolled off and lack air imho.

U12t I found a bit boring for metal.

I recently own Aroma Thunder which is good for metal. But I’m picky and sold it because of the laid back nature and I want more separation. Still, a lovely coherent listen with fast DD.

I see you’ve got Sony IER-Z1R? How do you find this with metal? I’ve been looking to get one to pair with my Sony sources, but worry about fit, lack of coherency, recessed mids etc.

I’m also looking at MM to be fair. But fear I’d miss the DD bass. (Aside: I recently tried Phonix and marginally preferred Thunder to it because of the lack of DD in Phonix)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,817 of 2,101
I'm also keen to hear the Mentor and should hopefully be able to in the coming months. I've yet to hear an IEM that's blown me away with a truly holographic and expansive soundstage so looking forward to experiencing that.

I will say I too am a bit leery that BA bass can satisfy my preferences on the low end. Well tuned BA's can be very punchy and fast, which works well with double bass kick laden metal, but I still feel that there's no true replacement for a DD.

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #1,818 of 2,101
I owned EVO for best part of a year. I think was ok with metal but the bass dominance got boring after a while. It clouded the treble making it seem rolled off and lack air imho.

U12t I found a bit boring for metal.

I recently own Aroma Thunder which is good for metal. But I’m picky and sold it because of the laid back nature and I want more separation. Still, a lovely coherent listen with fast DD.

I see you’ve got Sony IER-Z1R? How do you find this with metal? I’ve been looking to get one to pair with my Sony sources, but worry about fit, lack of coherency, recessed mids etc.

I’m also looking at MM to be fair. But fear I’d miss the DD bass. (Aside: I recently tried Phonix and marginally preferred Thunder to it because of the lack of DD in Phonix)
I definitely don't want the U12T then. I want something more energetic and exciting.

I didnt like the Z1R at all for metal and rock. It just didn't sound right to me. Maybe it was the recessed mids. Love them for hip hop though.
The kublai khan was good too but I had fit issues with it. It’s a big IEM. That will give you more sparkle, but nothing can touch the MM for detail retrieval and soundstage. As I’ve said before it’s like difference between stereo and surround sound.
I see. I don't care too much for sparkle when I'm listening to metal so it's all good. I really am craving that imaging the Mentor has to offer though. Hoping I can hold off on wanting to buy IEMs for quite a while after that purchase.

Thanks for the heads up on the KK fit.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #1,819 of 2,101
I definitely don't want the U12T then. I want something more energetic and exciting.

I didnt like the Z1R at all for metal and rock. It just didn't sound right to me. Maybe it was the recessed mids. Love them for hip hop though.

I see. I don't care too much for sparkle when I'm listening to metal so it's all good. I really am craving that imaging the Mentor has to offer though. Hoping I can hold off on wanting to buy IEMs for quite a while after that purchase.

Thanks for the heads up on the KK fit.
Oh then you’ll love them. I would describe the sound stage as addictive.

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,821 of 2,101
Thanks for the music recommendations. I've listened to them on KR5 and Vision Ears Elysium as they're my two primary IEMs at present. Haken, Dream Theater and Kataonia are probably closer to my tastes than some of the other tracks. Production quality is variable and no IEM will fix that, but I'd say KR5 does a better job overall. Elysium lacks a little bass depth and punch in comparison. Treble is a little crisper though, so it depends what you're after. I will hopefully try Maestro SE next week.
Did you get a chance to hear the Maestro SE? If so, curious to get your thoughts on them. I'm sure we'll get additional impressions this weekend too from those that are attending CanJam.

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #1,822 of 2,101
Oh then you’ll love them. I would describe the sound stage as addictive.
Just sold my Z1R, Anole VX, FiiO M11 Plus LTD, ifi Gryphon, and Astell&Kern Kann MAX to fund the Mentor. Bought them used/like new on musicteck. I'm super excited to own them now.

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,823 of 2,101
I just had a listening session with my Empire Ears Legend X after taking a long break from them.

I was surprised at how well they worked with metal to my ears.

I think these will be my new gym IEMs since I sold the Anole VX which were my previous gym IEMs as they both have a good fit and do not cost over 3k usd.

In metal and rock songs, the bass does not overpower the mids as the Z1R does. I also don't like a lot of treble for rock since I don't care a lot for cymbal strikes.

I stopped listening to these in favor of new toys, glad I gave them a chance again. They are better with rock than anything I have currently. I hope that will change when the Mentor comes in.

Apr 2, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #1,824 of 2,101
Hi,
I'm looking for an IEM to upgrade from Timeless AE. I'm very happy with timeless ae (eq'd down some midbass) but I do like variety in gear to listen to wide variety of progressive rock and metal bands (Btbam, NeO, Leprous, Haken, PTH etc are some of my favorites).
Which IEMs would you all recommend as a decent to significant upgrade in imaging, details, stage in $500-600 range?
I haven't made up my mind if I want to dump 500ish first on something to get an idea of diminishing returns or to make a bigger leap straight to 1k+. I'll appreciate the recommendations nonetheless. Thanks.

Apr 2, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,825 of 2,101
Hi,
I'm looking for an IEM to upgrade from Timeless AE. I'm very happy with timeless ae (eq'd down some midbass) but I do like variety in gear to listen to wide variety of progressive rock and metal bands (Btbam, NeO, Leprous, Haken, PTH etc are some of my favorites).
Which IEMs would you all recommend as a decent to significant upgrade in imaging, details, stage in $500-600 range?
I haven't made up my mind if I want to dump 500ish first on something to get an idea of diminishing returns or to make a bigger leap straight to 1k+. I'll appreciate the recommendations nonetheless. Thanks.
I would recommend either the campfire audio solaris 2020 on used market, or the plunge audio 4ba universal model, I'd take the latter over the former but both are terrific for metal genres, and from what I've tried they definitely compete in the 1k+ market SQ wise

Apr 2, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #1,826 of 2,101
:tophat::tophat:

Apr 2, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #1,827 of 2,101
Hi,
I always say the same thing, but Fiio fd7 is perfect. Simply perfect

Apr 2, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #1,828 of 2,101
Hi,
Timeless is a detail monster. To improve it you have to go for a multi BA or EST set.
Watch the AuR Audio Neon Pro. It is like the Anole VX (details everywhere) but more fun.

For me the best IEM for metal is the Mest MK2, but is not inside your price range.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #1,829 of 2,101
Timeless is a detail monster. To improve it you have to go for a multi BA or EST set.
Watch the AuR Audio Neon Pro. It is like the Anole VX (details everywhere) but more fun.

For me the best IEM for metal is the Mest MK2, but is not inside your price range.
I see a lot of people in this thread owning Mest Mk2 and it seems like something that I will love as well. It's not that it's outside my budget* either but I'm not sure if I should jump straight to it instead of trying something in the middle.
Thanks for the recs.

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #1,830 of 2,101
I see a lot of people in this thread owning Mest Mk2 and it seems like something that I will love as well. It's not that it's outside my budget* either but I'm not sure if I should jump straight to it instead of trying something in the middle.
Thanks for the recs.
Grab the Neon Pro this is coming from friends who have both or listened to the MK2, they choose the NP over the Mk2 and its cheaper as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back