IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Apr 7, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,636 of 2,094
+1 for the EJ07m for metal (Kinda Lava in my case 🌋
That’s an awesome album, been a while since I’ve heard anything Disgorge (both US/Mex) Gotta play some today.
I replaced EJ07M to OG EJ07 and it just hit the right spots for me. These are my favorite for anything metal.

Attachments

• 90DE89AA-7FE3-43C5-9BD4-8BC5F3B90BF0.jpeg
    90DE89AA-7FE3-43C5-9BD4-8BC5F3B90BF0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 7, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #1,638 of 2,094
Glad I could inspire you to listen to it again, it's some sick sh** indeed 😁👍🏻
For what reason did you switch, what is better/different on the OG?
This album is also highly recommended, the drum machine gives a perfect brain massage on the kinda lava 😁💆🏻‍♂️🧠🥁

Screenshot-20220406-195525-com-aspiro-tidal.jpg
Used to listen to lotta brutal/technical/gore grind a decade back, Disgorge was among my favorites. Got a chance to watch Putrid Pile live as well. Shaun LaCanne is a good dude, very down to earth.

OG EJ07 is the most neutral among the 07 lineup. Compared to OG my previous 07M was a bit colored with the extra mid bass boost and higher mids overall treble but that mid bass boost felt slightly much at times for my taste especially with modern production like Cattle Decap, it was not slow or boomy infact it kept up with everything I threw at it with great control but that mid bass quantity was slightly above my preference so replaced them with 0G 07. It’s more sub bass focused and easier on treble so the mids have more presence in the mix which I really enjoy especially with heavy chunky old school death metal like Rippikoulu, Dismember…and stuff. It also feels more 3D sounding in comparison. The long nozzle on the OG’s resin shell helps with better fit for my ears.
Kinda Lava seems quiet heavy on bass, am sure it’s great fun sounding iem. They just don’t fit my sound preference.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #1,639 of 2,094
Yeah you are right, the bass is quite boosted on the Kinda Lava, but never to the point where it gets too much and overwhelming, for my ears. Still less bass than FH3 for example, which I actually pretty liked for its juicy bass.
For me the KL is just perfect as my library also consists of quite some bass heavy stuff which is not so much fun to listen to when there is not enough bass impact :)
Would love to listen to OG one day to compare it for myself.
Also i am very keen on listening to the MEST MK2, did you have a chance to listen to this set by any chance? Wondering how it compares bass wise to the other sets

Apr 8, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #1,640 of 2,094
Yeah you are right, the bass is quite boosted on the Kinda Lava, but never to the point where it gets too much and overwhelming, for my ears. Still less bass than FH3 for example, which I actually pretty liked for its juicy bass.
For me the KL is just perfect as my library also consists of quite some bass heavy stuff which is not so much fun to listen to when there is not enough bass impact :)
Would love to listen to OG one day to compare it for myself.
Also i am very keen on listening to the MEST MK2, did you have a chance to listen to this set by any chance? Wondering how it compares bass wise to the other sets
If you are used to KL bass and find it satisfying then you might find OG 07 lacking bass so you probably have the best one right now. If you want slightly less mid bass quantity M is where it’s at.

I haven’t heard the Mest MK2, from what I understand they have more bass quality and less mid presence for my liking so I never bothered. Lotta people love them, maybe @progdvd could give you some impressions.

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #1,641 of 2,094
what type of iem do you think is better to listen to metal? there BA, DD, or Hybrid? Many people recommend the fd7 but I haven't had very good experiences with only DD for metal, now I'm in doubt between fa7s( all ba), fh7( hybrid) and fd7( DD). Some time ago I had the fa7 that I quite liked, but I think the texture and impact of the bass of the fh7 is second to none.

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #1,642 of 2,094
what type of iem do you think is better to listen to metal? there BA, DD, or Hybrid? Many people recommend the fd7 but I haven't had very good experiences with only DD for metal, now I'm in doubt between fa7s( all ba), fh7( hybrid) and fd7( DD). Some time ago I had the fa7 that I quite liked, but I think the texture and impact of the bass of the fh7 is second to none.
Btw those I’ve had good luck with BA for its speed and technicality to handle anything extreme metal but some don’t like the BA bass/timbre but I never found it bothering my listening. A well tuned BA can be almost as good as DD. You might miss some rumble and punch on BA but I’ve had no issues. Sometimes single DD iems has also impressed me with speed like NF NM2+ but the tuning was a bit too bright for certain poorly mastered music esp early black metal. I am using a tribrid atm and tbh it’s excellent. Shuoer EJ07, its the best I’ve heard yet with that Viceral DD punch and surprisingly fast and precise for a DD and BA’s handling mids and EST up top but tuned more smoother so poorly mastered tracks don’t sound like crap anymore.
It’s all about tuning not the driver materials imo, yes BA has its characteristic so does DD but all well tuned iem be it BA or DD can sound excellent. Getting into hybrids, driver count does have it’s pros esp with busy/complex music but if it’s poorly executed it will sound incoherent and crappy.
PS - I’ve read good stuff about FH7 on metalfi

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #1,643 of 2,094

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #1,645 of 2,094
hi Vruksha.
I'm not sure if you tried modded firmware on your 1A, as there are many region settings, and each one gives different sound signature on 1A.
Thanks, I am running Mr Walkman One FW with WM1Z tuning J3 region, loving it to bits!

May 12, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #1,646 of 2,094
Thanks for detailed reply.
Yes library and tuning preference plays a big part. Undoubtedly ej07m is upgrade over S8F so as Monarch and Mest.... But I still love it. I on the other hand like V shape and I'm not particularly treble sensitive. S8F was never fatiguing for me both in sound or fit. For me there isn't anything to improve on S8F being all BA iem it's good as it gets.
Monarch was my upgrade from S8F, bass is somewhat slower but after all it's DD bass it has more power, better timbre and this particular subbass is just like having subwoofers in your ears, so addicting. And that is not the best part. IMO Monarch shines with its mids and treble tuning. Best i ever heard period. Mids are forward, clear, detailed.... I'm out of audiophile terms atm here.... It's just beautiful. And that treble is smoothest and super detailed but without ever being harsh or sibilant.
And I notice ej07m and Monarch have very similar high mid tuning. There are some differences with bass and treble but I think generally they are in the same league.
On the other hand Mest is doing its own thing. Unfortunately I cannot compare them directly now because my Monarch is on the way to Linsoul for repair, but from memory Monarch is exchanging punches with Mest and its not losing, both have something what they do amazing.

I was curious about how you feel about ej compared to something we both heard. I'm glad you found ej so good, I know how much I enjoy my gear.
This hobby is expensive, I think we are obsessing about trifles. It's good that we found something we love. For one I'm ready to retire, I can't afford chasing something perfect anymore, nor I want to. I'm going to enjoy music now. Still daily listening to new Amorphis... And my usual prog, djent, power, thrash stuff.

Cool to see another with such high praise for Monarch! I keep coming back to it as well. Its subwoofer-like bass and, like you say, smooth mid and treble tuning just lets you enjoy music in a unique way. Though, nitpicking, of course, I recognize the coherence issues, particularly BA-timbre in the mids contrasting with the too-whispy cymbal crash in the treble of the estats. And, of course, I always need to EQ the mid-bass up a bit. Perhaps the MKII fixes all that but it's too much $$ to roll the dice and realize it doesn't and/or it doesn't fit well with my ears or some other issue... That's actually the same way I always felt about the MEST: $1.5k is a lot to realize perhaps you don't get anything from the bone conduction drivers due to fit or something else.

Anyway, just popped in to give more praise to the Monarch. Carry on, lol. :thumbsup:

May 12, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #1,647 of 2,094
Cool to see another with such high praise for Monarch! I keep coming back to it as well. Its subwoofer-like bass and, like you say, smooth mid and treble tuning just lets you enjoy music in a unique way. Though, nitpicking, of course, I recognize the coherence issues, particularly BA-timbre in the mids contrasting with the too-whispy cymbal crash in the treble of the estats. And, of course, I always need to EQ the mid-bass up a bit. Perhaps the MKII fixes all that but it's too much $$ to roll the dice and realize it doesn't and/or it doesn't fit well with my ears or some other issue... That's actually the same way I always felt about the MEST: $1.5k is a lot to realize perhaps you don't get anything from the bone conduction drivers due to fit or something else.

Anyway, just popped in to give more praise to the Monarch. Carry on, lol. :thumbsup:
Due to my relatively smaller size ears and I never bothered about Monarch though heard good stuff about em esp with what it offers for the money.
I notice you have U12t and Anole VX both highly praised all BA iems. I am curious about both esp U12t. I know VX is the more exiting while U12t is smooth and safer bet with all music but how do they handle extreme metal genres? Death/Black stuff mostly. I do prefer the more neutral warmer approach against the more sharp, ocd detailed exiting sound. My ears don’t play well with extremely brighter sound thanks my extreme listening volumes with old school thrash metal on crappy earphones during my younger years

May 12, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,648 of 2,094
Due to my relatively smaller size ears and I never bothered about Monarch though heard good stuff about em esp with what it offers for the money.
I notice you have U12t and Anole VX both highly praised all BA iems. I am curious about both esp U12t. I know VX is the more exiting while U12t is smooth and safer bet with all music but how do they handle extreme metal genres? Death/Black stuff mostly. I do prefer the more neutral warmer approach against the more sharp, ocd detailed exiting sound. My ears don’t play well with extremely brighter sound thanks my extreme listening volumes with old school thrash metal on crappy earphones during my younger years

Yeah, the U12t is a safer bet for sure but, honestly, against the Monarch it's hard to justify the price increase. While it fixes almost all of the Monarch's issues it also loses the subwoofer-like bass and the whispy treble. So you can say, though its coherence (and mid-bass) is better its tuning is not as pleasant. And resolution is pretty similar. The big thing though is it is a very very comfortable IEM. As comfortable as the anole to my ears except since it's vented I can wear it longer while the anole eventually needs to be re-adjusted due to the eventual increase in pressure (since it's not vented).

The anole is definitely going to be bright for some people. Especially with the wrong tips. I use the Final E tips on the anole which tames the treble quite a bit and reduces pretty much all sibilance. If you don't want the extreme resolution the anole gives you might as well skip it.

May 22, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #1,649 of 2,094
I have to say Mest MKII is a beast for metal, what is expected given the price.
Price aside, it's realy well tuned, timbre and technicalities are awesome.
The only negative about MKII is that it's very tip dependant, not every tip works well, it needs a lot of tip rolling. And for my personal taste I could use 2-3 dB more in the 2-4k area. That is just my preference, lots of people would call it shouty if EQed like this but I'm over 40 with long history of live metal shows and bartending in loud environments.

Tested with prog power, thrash, technical melodic death...
Great man, I'm ordering mest mk2 too, which tips you think works best?

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #1,650 of 2,094
Great man, I'm ordering mest mk2 too, which tips you think works best?
Azla crystal, Epro EP01, Radius deep mount, Spinfit CP1205, Final Audio TWS,
Anything wide bore works great,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back