IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Feb 17, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #1,606 of 2,101
Feb 17, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #1,607 of 2,101
I should get 7Hz Timeless in the next few days, they have often been recommended for Metal. I will give an opinion as soon as I receive them.
Yes, please!

i'd love that!

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #1,608 of 2,101
Yes, please!

i'd love that!

For me the Timeless are very good for certain types of metal and for albums with not very good production. The Timeless get along very well with bad recordings. For example, I find them to be the best IEMs I've ever tried for listening to Blind Guardian, as their albums production makes my other IEMs too bright.

But the great amount of bass that the Timeless have, and especially being a slow, heavy and boomy bass, makes them not seem the best for very fast and technical metal (technical death metal, and similar genres). For this type of genre, the Shuoer S12 seems much better to me.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #1,609 of 2,101
For me the Timeless are very good for certain types of metal and for albums with not very good production. The Timeless get along very well with bad recordings. For example, I find them to be the best IEMs I've ever tried for listening to Blind Guardian, as their albums production makes my other IEMs too bright.

But the great amount of bass that the Timeless have, and especially being a slow, heavy and boomy bass, makes them not seem the best for very fast and technical metal (technical death metal, and similar genres). For this type of genre, the Shuoer S12 seems much better to me.
This just reminded me that I haven't heard any good headphones and IEMs that Demons and Wizards don't sound like ass on. The ride cymbals were EQ'd with the "ice pick to the eardrum" filter or something.

Feb 23, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,611 of 2,101
That’s great! I have my eye on them for a while now. Can you give your impressions on how they perform with metal? Is the treble smoother in comparison to the S8 you owned previously? does it have good punchy lows? Is it fast to handle blast beats and anything metal? Does the mids have good presence or is it dipped? Minus the driver flex on EJ07, is the EJ sonically better than RSV?
Hi! Sorry for late. I think they are the best all rounder I've ever had, although they do not excel at anything in particular. They don't have the overwhelming bass slam of my previous Campfire Vega 2020, or the wide soundstage of the UM 3DT. They are smooth and very balanced. Trebles don't pierce my ears like the Fearless S8F, and they have incredible lows, almost like DD IEMs, but imho they lack a bit of midbass. Soundstage is very intimate.
I think I'm not qualified to give you a very precise review, but till now they are the most balanced (the only thing I wish is more midbass for metal).

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,612 of 2,101
Hi! Sorry for late. I think they are the best all rounder I've ever had, although they do not excel at anything in particular. They don't have the overwhelming bass slam of my previous Campfire Vega 2020, or the wide soundstage of the UM 3DT. They are smooth and very balanced. Trebles don't pierce my ears like the Fearless S8F, and they have incredible lows, almost like DD IEMs, but imho they lack a bit of midbass. Soundstage is very intimate.
I think I'm not qualified to give you a very precise review, but till now they are the most balanced (the only thing I wish is more midbass for metal).

You are referring to which iems?

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #1,613 of 2,101
Thanks for sharing your impressions bud, I am sort of stuck deciding btw the RSV or EJ07

Feb 27, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #1,614 of 2,101
I have to say Mest MKII is a beast for metal, what is expected given the price.
Price aside, it's realy well tuned, timbre and technicalities are awesome.
The only negative about MKII is that it's very tip dependant, not every tip works well, it needs a lot of tip rolling. And for my personal taste I could use 2-3 dB more in the 2-4k area. That is just my preference, lots of people would call it shouty if EQed like this but I'm over 40 with long history of live metal shows and bartending in loud environments.

Tested with prog power, thrash, technical melodic death...

Attachments

• 20220227_021359~01.jpg
    20220227_021359~01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #1,616 of 2,101
I'm curious about the Penon Serials as another multi DD set - anyone got them and able to share thoughts on how they handle thrash/prog metal?

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #1,617 of 2,101
7Hz Timeless, exceptional in terms of speed and resolution. They are behind even the most extreme Metal, with an absurd detail for a € 200 IEM.

The sound is smooth, typically planar, may lack some of that physical impact of dynamic drivers.

From a neutral source like the Apple dongle they sound just a little too hot in the highs, just a little bit.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #1,618 of 2,101
Have been using LZ A7 for a year now, it’s one the best iems for metal under $300 imo also extremely high value factor with custom filters to play around different sound signature and additional switch to make it more fun or neutral sound. Even if you have a set that does everything well for you, the itch to try something new is irresistible especially if you’ve crossed a year mark with the old gear.

Recently while strolling around classifieds found a good deal on a pair of Shuoer EJ07M, had my eyes on the OG EJ07 for a while now thanks to @redrol for all the hype. He highly praise the OG EJ07’s for metal so decided to buy the 07M which is almost the same to OG in comparison but with a slight difference in tuning, more energy up top and maybe a bit more mid bass compared to OG. Spend the last couple days testing them with lotta metal genres, initial impressions was positive. They do live up to the hype. The 07M’s sound different from what I am used to especially in the bass department. Always heard the term visceral bass, now I know what it is. That 10mm dynamic driver hits hard but well controlled, very fast and accurate to keep up with the last Ad Nauseam, Cattle Decapitation, Immolation records. I was concerned about the highs (done enough damage to the ears, can’t tolerate really bright sets anymore) though they had more treble presence from my other sets it never felt sharp or piercing. It is slightly more lively energetic than my go to LZ A7 with Black filter/Monitor mode but never felt shouty unless you play Ulver - Nattens Madrigal lol. Tried lotta old school death metal records from early 90’s (Atrocity,Massacre,Asphyx) and thrash from 80’s (Forbidden,Vio-lence,Atrophy) on the EJ07M, they never gave me any ear fatigue even though many of these early stuffs are mastered way too bright. Maybe it’s the quad EST drivers working their magic, they sound very smooth and airy. I was able push them to high volume without piecing treble like S8F. They do sounds massive on higher volume especially that bass! Tbh I’ve never enjoyed bass so much as I do on the EJ07M. When you crank em up the kick drums come alive in-fact it can be felt like in live concerts. Listening to Khemmis new album Deceiver produced by Dave Otero was an absolute treat, I generally don’t prefer clean crystal mix for metal but this felt like guilty pleasure somehow lol, well produced tracks sure excels on the EJ.
All that said my favorite on the EJ is the mids, the star of the show. It’s not at all recessed like the S8, infact it stands out. Guitars sound massive! Listening to Malignant Altar’s exceptional new record atm, the guitars sound chunky and pretty forward in the mix.

Soundstage is good but nothing crazy, imaging is excellent here, probably the best I’ve heard.

Provided stock tips were crap, tried Comply, Spinfits, Azla nothing worked for my ears with that really short nozzle on the M it’s was hard to find a proper fit in the beginning but after lotta tip rolling Final E came for the rescue, perfect fit and the best sound for my ears. I wonder why Shuoer went with such a short nozzle or maybe it’s just my ear shape? The only negative I found with EJ07M is the EJ family’s infamous driver flex, it does bother a bit while I shove em in but once it seals perfectly life is good. I can live with that as long as they make the guitar sound so brutal.

Overall I am happy to say that it didn’t disappoint, definitely a great set for anything metal/rock.
3A2209BF-9F87-4227-9BAA-DB89C8645AB3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back