IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Feb 4, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #1,592 of 2,101
Thanks, I'm watching the video ... but immediately he mention the Blon BL-03 I had and that frankly with music like extreme metal, faster and more intricate, they were a bloated unlistenable mess. Maybe the worst IEMs I've tried with Black or Death Metal music.
Oh don't know the bl-03, actually I think he put it in his list just to mention an entry level, but maybe could add a better alternative... anyway I've heard only good things about 7hz, would like to try it

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,594 of 2,101
They do have, like the MEST, a treble peak that can suck for drums sometimes. But that is true for most of the high performing monitors out there.
You walk that tightrope between smooth listenability and the tuning higher fidelity requires to actually be "higher fidelity". It simultaneously reveals and destroys the organics of a badly recorded metal album. Usually by boosting frequencies that are so smashed its just atonal noise.

I haven't heard the MEST but would like to one day. I think the Monarch MkII is so good for all metal genres I've tried, from symphonic to extreme, and handles treble extremely smoothly. You only get a little fatigue when the album production is very V-shaped (looking at you Sascha Paeth) and makes for some shoutiness, but I don't think you can avoid that with any high resolution set.

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #1,595 of 2,101
@blotmouse
Hmmmm, I was considering Mest II 2-3 times since it's release I just didn't find anyone mentioning faster Metal and Mest II in the same sentence. Any thoughts?
I'm not much for extreme genres but prog, power, trash, melodic death oh yes please.
Most probably I'm getting it with first discount weather from music teck or hifigo, will see. I gotta try that BCD and holographic sound.

I haven't been here in this thread for some time and since I'm here already I'm gonna mention (again) my all time favourite for metal is Fearless S8F. That iem is just insanely good for metal. It has fantastic tuning perfect for my liking, it's fast and sharp like surgical knife, technically its a beast.... So many pros but only 1 con, it can hiss with wrong gear, but it's dead silent with all my sources, I just had to sell everything what wasn't compatible. I'm not selling S8F ever, I'm keeping it till I die.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #1,596 of 2,101
@blotmouse
Hmmmm, I was considering Mest II 2-3 times since it's release I just didn't find anyone mentioning faster Metal and Mest II in the same sentence. Any thoughts?
I'm not much for extreme genres but prog, power, trash, melodic death oh yes please.
Most probably I'm getting it with first discount weather from music teck or hifigo, will see. I gotta try that BCD and holographic sound.

I haven't been here in this thread for some time and since I'm here already I'm gonna mention (again) my all time favourite for metal is Fearless S8F. That iem is just insanely good for metal. It has fantastic tuning perfect for my liking, it's fast and sharp like surgical knife, technically its a beast.... So many pros but only 1 con, it can hiss with wrong gear, but it's dead silent with all my sources, I just had to sell everything what wasn't compatible. I'm not selling S8F ever, I'm keeping it till I die.
Weird, I could swear quite a few folks like the mkii for faster more tech metal. No thoughts really on why you have not seen them around though. :beerchug:

I haven’t heard the s8f but its graph looks a bit like Turii’s, which is my #1 for metal right now. Also, don’t think I’ll ever sell the Turii.

I love and hate the MEST. It gets used when the music is too fast for Turii (rare, its really fast and has a huge soundstage for a single DD) and Noir pukes on the dynamic range. Noir is more technical, better bass, better mids. Then the mest gets its turn.

I don’t exactly rec it with no reservation. You may love it, you may not. It works for me and for my purposes, but it has some of its own issues. Timbre isn’t the most lifelike and coherence can be iffy, bass can be a little billowy but I prefer it on kick drums to Indigo still. But for some folks its the “best thing they’ve heard” for many genres. Keeping in mind this is a forum so having zero details on what that actually means is a little problematic, but whatever.

It kind of depends on where you are coming from with previous iems. I am speaking from a place of privilege with a good amount of expensive gear to compare against.
Mkii is good, I am still seeking a worthy replacement for it, and it lives to fight yet another day.

It would be quite funny in 10 years time if the Mest is the only thing I still have, never finding a direct upgrade. Some days I feel like this.

If you do get the mkii, post back impressions please.
Maybe the S8F and mkii are your one two punch like my Turii and mest are?

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #1,597 of 2,101
Weird, I could swear quite a few folks like the mkii for faster more tech metal. No thoughts really on why you have not seen them around though. :beerchug:

I haven’t heard the s8f but its graph looks a bit like Turii’s, which is my #1 for metal right now. Also, don’t think I’ll ever sell the Turii.

I love and hate the MEST. It gets used when the music is too fast for Turii (rare, its really fast and has a huge soundstage for a single DD) and Noir pukes on the dynamic range. Noir is more technical, better bass, better mids. Then the mest gets its turn.

I don’t exactly rec it with no reservation. You may love it, you may not. It works for me and for my purposes, but it has some of its own issues. Timbre isn’t the most lifelike and coherence can be iffy, bass can be a little billowy but I prefer it on kick drums to Indigo still. But for some folks its the “best thing they’ve heard” for many genres. Keeping in mind this is a forum so having zero details on what that actually means is a little problematic, but whatever.

It kind of depends on where you are coming from with previous iems. I am speaking from a place of privilege with a good amount of expensive gear to compare against.
Mkii is good, I am still seeking a worthy replacement for it, and it lives to fight yet another day.

It would be quite funny in 10 years time if the Mest is the only thing I still have, never finding a direct upgrade. Some days I feel like this.

If you do get the mkii, post back impressions please.
Maybe the S8F and mkii are your one two punch like my Turii and mest are?

Yes you are right this is internet..........
Actually my nr1 is Monarch OG for number of reasons... But for fast technical metal i still prefer S8F. And honestly with those 2 I have my endgame, if I never get to hear anything better it would be totally fine. And price is not always indicator of quality. I had Monarch mk2 but I sold it within 3 days I hated it.
U12t, VX... (And I don't know what is the latest) those get a lot of praise but I'm not spending that much money on iem.
Mest mk2 is not cheap either but in the end its the only iem that I'm still curious about. Also I have zero interest in iems below 1k because they will hardly beat what I have atm, and I cannot try them all. Important thing is that I'm very satisfied with what I have. Right now I'm enjoying music.
Enjoy in your hunt everyone.

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,598 of 2,101
You sold your EJ07? Thought you really liked them. I had my eyes on those for a long time, tbh still do.
Sorry man, I didn't log in for a while. Yes I sold them. I really love the sound of a good DD, but I have a problem with driver flex, I hate it.
I'm really enjoying my last purchase, Softears RSV.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #1,599 of 2,101
Sorry man, I didn't log in for a while. Yes I sold them. I really love the sound of a good DD, but I have a problem with driver flex, I hate it.
I'm really enjoying my last purchase, Softears RSV.
That’s great! I have my eye on them for a while now. Can you give your impressions on how they perform with metal? Is the treble smoother in comparison to the S8 you owned previously? does it have good punchy lows? Is it fast to handle blast beats and anything metal? Does the mids have good presence or is it dipped? Minus the driver flex on EJ07, is the EJ sonically better than RSV?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #1,600 of 2,101
Mest MKII ordered from Music Teck today. Can't wait.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #1,601 of 2,101
I know I'm late, but... why does Mest mk2 is the best for metal?

Crispy mids? Strong bass and sharp, splashy lows?

Also... any $500 that have the same sound signature? Maybe the Moondrop Variations?

Feb 17, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #1,603 of 2,101
Feb 17, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #1,604 of 2,101
I know I'm late, but... why does Mest mk2 is the best for metal?

Crispy mids? Strong bass and sharp, splashy lows?

Also... any $500 that have the same sound signature? Maybe the Moondrop Variations?
I should get 7Hz Timeless in the next few days, they have often been recommended for Metal. I will give an opinion as soon as I receive them.

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #1,605 of 2,101
Are there any tws that are good for metal?
I have been assessing my new Final ZE3000 (using aptX Adaptive with my Zenfone 7 pro) versus my IMR R1 plugged into Null-Audio’s BT cable (using aptX HD) on a metal playlist. The Final will stay with me. They fulfill Final’s stated intent, which is to preserve the quality of the mids instead of having bloated bass and software-boosted treble with a hole in-between. I don’t have to tell you mids are important for metal guitars! The ZE3000 keep up with fast-paced drumwork, boast excellent clarity and balance across the range. Their slight weakness is left-to-right placement, but soundstage exists and seems natural in size. They are very engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back