IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Apr 9, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,053 of 2,094
Some new IEMs are a overpriced imho, and maybe also the IT07, but I can't judge because I haven't tried them yet. I would like to test them but here in Italy I must buy them myself to do it.
Knowles balanced armature drivers offer really good resolution, however there are lots of IEMs that offer those at a lower price like my Shanling ME700s. Like you, I didn't want to pay over $900 equivalent for the IT07, even if it rates better. There's starting to be IEMs with electrostatic treble drivers available for under $1000 like the Kinera Nanna. Everything Empire Ears sells, seems to go for a premium, and to a lesser extent, Campfire Audio. I'm going to be sticking with Chinese IEMs. You may realize better prices than me buying European origin products.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,054 of 2,094
I just got the Dunu SA6 today. While I enjoy them and they're a very competent IEM indeed, I find them too bassy and without the treble sparkle I look for in dedicated metal IEMs.

I'm keeping them though. They sound a little more pleasant and easy listen to than the Fearless S8F.
Maybe a silver cable would help?

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,055 of 2,094
Knowles balanced armature drivers offer really good resolution, however there are lots of IEMs that offer those at a lower price like my Shanling ME700s. Like you, I didn't want to pay over $900 equivalent for the IT07, even if it rates better. There's starting to be IEMs with electrostatic treble drivers available for under $1000 like the Kinera Nanna. Everything Empire Ears sells, seems to go for a premium, and to a lesser extent, Campfire Audio. I'm going to be sticking with Chinese IEMs. You may realize better prices than me buying European origin products.
The new Bravado universal is under $1000 I believe.

Apr 10, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,056 of 2,094
I can attest to the Kinera Nanna 2.0s being great for metal. You can get used or open box for great prices too.

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,057 of 2,094
Maybe a silver cable would help?
Unfortunately, a) the 2 pins slot is so recessed on the SA6s that aftermarket cables will have issues fitting the IEM b) the only aftermarket cable I have is a SuperBax which doesn't fit because of a) and c) I don't know if a new cable would add that much treble and lower the bass. My taste is just for different sound signatures overall.
I do have a plastics one cable that *may* fit, to try...

It doesn't make the SA6 bad though; they're very pleasant overall! Comfortable and small, too. The cable is a little thick/big but that's about it.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,058 of 2,094
Anyone did try the Fiio EM5 for metal?

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,060 of 2,094
Hi guys! Long time metalhead but new to Headfi

I have been using Penon Volt (with Totem upgrade cable) recently and it has been a revelation. Remasters of old black metal albums like Emperor’s sound simply sublime. Excellent instrument separation and DD bass (super fast transients with Totem cable). The estats provide all the detail without sounding harsh. I was never a big fan of BA bass though and I am also slightly treble sensitive so tribrids work like magic

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #1,062 of 2,094
So far UM MEST MkII performed far better than any IEMs I’ve tried over my past 15 years into this hobby for Rock/Metal.
Uh oh..I have them in my cart at musicteck..u just made it much easier to hit the “order” button LOL

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,063 of 2,094
This Custom Art Harmony 8.2 has turned out to be my favorite iem lately for anything metal from Cianide - The Dying Truth to Ad Nauseam - Imperative Inperceptible Impulse. These don't give me any ear fatigue even on brightly mastered metal records and this was my main grudge against all my previous iem's except LZ A7. Most if not all metal albums especially from 80-90s are mixed way too bright and can be an ear torture on the usual crowd favourite iem's.
Custom Art Harmony 8.2's sound-signature is quite balanced but definitely warmer than neutral and relaxed treble without loosing out on details, It not like Fearless S8F/S8P or NF Audio NM2+ where every little micro detail are picked out and presented in your face but with H8.2 you can hear the details in the mix more naturally and not over emphasized by boosting higher frequency's. I grew outta those kinda iem's that wows me from just the first listen after listening to more balanced iem's like LZ A7 (black filter/monitor) I started looking for more natural/smoother and we'll tuned iems. Custom Art got my attention after talking to Piotr Graniski (CA founder) who happens to be a metal head himself, from a hobbyist to a full fledged professional iem manufacturer he has come a long way. I always wanted to try one of his iem's but never took the plunge until now. Harmony 8.2 is my first introduction to TOTL iems and I couldn't be more happier with the experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_001028154~2.jpg
    IMG_20210408_001028154~2.jpg
    931.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #1,064 of 2,094
@IEMusic
Need a detailed comparison,
Mest vs 3DT with metal song, 🙏

thank you,

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #1,065 of 2,094
@IEMusic
Need a detailed comparison,
Mest vs 3DT with metal song, 🙏

thank you,
I’ve heard 3DT is good for bass, but had someone has both strongly advised me of No-go for buying 3DT. Said “if you are not basshead, there is no justification for buying 3DT, if you already have like MEST or RSV. Maybe 3DT works great with certain impactful genre like metal though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back