IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,036 of 2,094
The IT07 is considered by many to be a TOTL caliber IEM, and as such, being priced less than $1000 makes it somewhat of a bargain. It has been compared to the LZ A7, being similarly tuned, but better in every way. The bass is revered as some of the fastest and most powerful bass (not necessarily volume, more it’s transient attack), so I imagine it would be a spectacular sounding IEM for metal. I have yet to hear it though. There are just so many amazing IEMs out now. The Dunu Zen also seems like it could be a great IEM for metal, with its amazing bass, though I wonder if the rolled off upper treble would negatively impact the sound of cymbals.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,037 of 2,094
The Dunu Zen also seems like it could be a great IEM for metal, with its amazing bass, though I wonder if the rolled off upper treble would negatively impact the sound of cymbals.
It does impact the cymbals, in fact those are the instruments that get impacted the most. With them sounding extremely recessed and sometimes you wonder if there even is a cymbal playing, then you activate a high-shelf EQ boost and there it is.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,038 of 2,094
The IT07 is considered by many to be a TOTL caliber IEM, and as such, being priced less than $1000 makes it somewhat of a bargain. It has been compared to the LZ A7, being similarly tuned, but better in every way. The bass is revered as some of the fastest and most powerful bass (not necessarily volume, more it’s transient attack), so I imagine it would be a spectacular sounding IEM for metal. I have yet to hear it though. There are just so many amazing IEMs out now. The Dunu Zen also seems like it could be a great IEM for metal, with its amazing bass, though I wonder if the rolled off upper treble would negatively impact the sound of cymbals.
Oh man... Don't tell me that about IT07... You know that I literally love my IT01S. I've just received the UM 3DT 2 days ago... I must resist now... At least a couple of months. I will enjoy my new IEMs and then I will think about next one. There are only 3 in my list at the moment:
- UM MEST MKII
- Sony IER-Z1R
- iBasso IT07 (just added!)
For sure I will not buy them at full price. I will look for some discount or used items. Black Friday is too far away... Fortunately for my wallet!!

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,039 of 2,094
Oh man... Don't tell me that about IT07... You know that I literally love my IT01S. I've just received the UM 3DT 2 days ago... I must resist now... At least a couple of months. I will enjoy my new IEMs and then I will think about next one. There are only 3 in my list at the moment:
- UM MEST MKII
- Sony IER-Z1R
- iBasso IT07 (just added!)
For sure I will not buy them at full price. I will look for some discount or used items. Black Friday is too far away... Fortunately for my wallet!!
I agree, just add it to your list of IEMs to consider, and don’t think about it for now. Just enjoy the 3DT.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #1,040 of 2,094
I can assure you that the bass in the IT07 is also very powerful in quantity/volume. Too much even for me on many occasions.

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #1,041 of 2,094
Hello,
I want to share some music,

Voice of Baceprot - School Revolution

this is from my country, Indonesia,

Bloodywood,
Indian metal band from New Delhi,

Fiio FH3 - Nx4dsd - Tidal, 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,042 of 2,094
Most of the metal albums are mastered too hot imo especially older ones be it black/thrash/death so something like LZ A7 is a very safe bet with the tunable filters for our sound preference. I was a sucker for iem's that reviewers called "very detailed energetic and lively" but over long period it just started hurting my ears, I listen to about 3-4 hrs a day and using brighter iem's, listening at really loud volumes was a very bad idea. A7 is an easy and forgiving iem with my choice of filters mostly being red with monitor switch on or black with monitor switch. My ears feel more relaxed and less ringing coming from a load of bright V shaped iem's.
Something that has got my attention lately is Custom Art iem's, I spoke with Piotrus who is the man behind CA. He listens to metal core and test all their iem's with metal. Tonality is quiet neutral and nothing too crazy comparitively which is what I prefer. If I end up getting one, I'll leave my impressions here.
This is what drove me to the FD5 and why (on the full-size side) the Hemp is the Grado I like. I need something I can listen to my whole collection with and not have to tense up for fear that the next track on the playlist will suddenly turn into a knitting needle driving into my ear canal.

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #1,043 of 2,094
Can’t go wrong with custom arts stuff. Got the fibae 2 and for a dual driver is nicely tuned. Would love to hear the 4 and 6 one day. Their prices are nice as well in these days of multi bucks flagships.
Took the plunge and just purchased a Custom Art Harmony 8.2 which used to be CA's TOTL before the FIBAE 7 replaced it. Found a crazy good deal I couldn't resist on ebay. Let's see how it goes with some Death metal

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #1,044 of 2,094
Absolutely loving the DUNU SA6 for metal. I really jive with the tuning of these. The all BA configuration is surprisingly competent in the sub bass and bass regions. If you told me these had a DD in them for the bass I would probably believe you. Also, zero listening fatigue, even after hours of black metal (where the NM2+ would have my ears bleeding). I'm thoroughly impressed.

Still on my radar / wish list for IEMs: UM 3DT, the upcoming ThieAudio Excalibur and 64 Audio U12t.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #1,045 of 2,094
Do you need an amp to run the SA6? They are 60ohms and I'm not sure my DAP's would power them sufficiently. I really didn't want to buy an amp for my IEM's

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #1,046 of 2,094
Absolutely loving the DUNU SA6 for metal. I really jive with the tuning of these. The all BA configuration is surprisingly competent in the sub bass and bass regions. If you told me these had a DD in them for the bass I would probably believe you. Also, zero listening fatigue, even after hours of black metal (where the NM2+ would have my ears bleeding). I'm thoroughly impressed.

Still on my radar / wish list for IEMs: UM 3DT, the upcoming ThieAudio Excalibur and 64 Audio U12t.
If you will buy the UM 3DT let us know a comparison between them and Dunu SA6. I was in doubt between those 2 IEMs and ended buying the UM 3DT that are now my favorite IEMs overall (almost better than EJ07 that I sold recently).

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,047 of 2,094
Do you need an amp to run the SA6? They are 60ohms and I'm not sure my DAP's would power them sufficiently. I really didn't want to buy an amp for my IEM's
I've been running them with my HiBy R5, out of the 4.4mm balanced output, with zero complaints. Low gain at around 30/100 volume level. I haven't tried the SA6 with a iPhone dongle but I will and can let you know how it goes.
If you will buy the UM 3DT let us know a comparison between them and Dunu SA6. I was in doubt between those 2 IEMs and ended buying the UM 3DT that are now my favorite IEMs overall (almost better than EJ07 that I sold recently).
I'm going to keep an eye out for a second hand pair of 3DT's. Will most likely pick up a set and sell my NM2+. I'd like to keep a set of DD and BA IEMs in my rotation. I've heard nothing but good things about the 3DT. Someone did post a brief comparison between the SA6 and the 3DT in the 3DT thread.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,049 of 2,094
Ok thanks..I have an r3pro saber, the original and new R6 and the ibasso dx160, so I should be good.
I dont think you have problems with driving any iems out there with the DX160 lol.

That one can handle full size headphones as well.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #1,050 of 2,094
I just got the Dunu SA6 today. While I enjoy them and they're a very competent IEM indeed, I find them too bassy and without the treble sparkle I look for in dedicated metal IEMs.

I'm keeping them though. They sound a little more pleasant and easy listen to than the Fearless S8F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back