IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jan 6, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #751 of 2,094
Yeah, that song will sure test an IEMs capability to handle complexity. I’m happy to report that the Believe handles it really well. While all the “chaotic” sounds are going on, it still separates them all, and placed them within a 270 degree circle around me. It didn’t fall apart when I turned it up, and the limiting factor was really my ear drums. Past a certain point my ears just tense up. The Believe is legit. There is, however, some sibilance. Not much, and it doesn‘t bother me, but there is some nonetheless.
thanks for taking the time to do this, hopefully you liked the track at least :sweat_smile:
I'm sure this will be sibilant on pretty much anything considering it's probably just produced to be that way

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #752 of 2,094
I don't know why nobody talks about iBasso IT01S. I can tell you that they are better than Fearless S8F for listening to Trivium. The more IEMs I try the more I like dynamic drivers. I feel the sound of DD IEMs fuller and more natural. Full BA like S8F are more analitical, but to me they sound too cold. I am not a pro neither an expert reviewer... I'm just sharing my taste.
EJ07 are coming in the next days.. I hope they will be endgame for a while.

My new Fearless S8F are still on sale on the froum's market with their 4.4mm upgrade cable, but no one contacted me. I will try to sell them without that expensive cable.
In case I fail to sell them, would someone be able to tell me which musical genre they shine with?

Thanks

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #753 of 2,094
Yeah, that song will sure test an IEMs capability to handle complexity. I’m happy to report that the Believe handles it really well. While all the “chaotic” sounds are going on, it still separates them all, and placed them within a 270 degree circle around me. It didn’t fall apart when I turned it up, and the limiting factor was really my ear drums. Past a certain point my ears just tense up. The Believe is legit. There is, however, some sibilance. Not much, and it doesn‘t bother me, but there is some nonetheless.
it certainly got more convincing, but now price for believe is up and up

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #754 of 2,094
I've been giving the NM2+ more ear time and I have to say they're pretty dang impressive when listening to well produced metal (other genres as well). I just recently played through Bütcher 666 Goats Carry My Chariot (quite the album title) and man did the NM2+ do it justice. This album is fast & furious, with punchy drumming, wild leads and riffage that doesn't quit and the NM2+ was stellar. Every detail is there in full force, the soundstage (which I usually have trouble hearing) sounds pretty large to my ears for an IEM and the raspy, harsh, and at times warbly, vocals cut right through the chaos as one would hope. I really like how tight the bass response is. Zero bleed into the mids and just enough impact (the BL03's are a bloated mess in comparison).

I've not listened to many IEMs but would like to try something that's more of a "warm neutral" and see how that compares to the NM2+. My main gripes with the NM2+ is compression on busier passages, especially at higher volumes, and some glare/piercing on high hats, cymbals, etc.. This isn't typically an issue if the recording / production is good, but it makes some stuff I listen to (Arnaut Pavle, Voidsphere, Andeis, etc.) quite difficult / fatiguing to listen to.
Couldn't have described it any better

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #755 of 2,094
bring me the horizon album is 360 audio, weird if used on a non 360 ready hp/iem

it thinks my galaxy buds+ is 360 ready lmao

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-095829_TIDAL.png
    Screenshot_20210107-095829_TIDAL.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #756 of 2,094
Also a big fan of trivium and I just listened to the What the Dead Man Say album on Technics EAH-Tz700 and I was really satisfied.
An other IEM I use often are the Dunu Luna but they have some colouring. The Technics are more neutral and allow everything to shine. I’d say the bass is maybe a bit elevated but not over the top imo.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #757 of 2,094
Also a big fan of trivium and I just listened to the What the Dead Man Say album on Technics EAH-Tz700 and I was really satisfied.
An other IEM I use often are the Dunu Luna but they have some colouring. The Technics are more neutral and allow everything to shine. I’d say the bass is maybe a bit elevated but not over the top imo.
I imagine the Dunu Luna must sound amazing for metal!

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #758 of 2,094
I imagine the Dunu Luna must sound amazing for metal!
I really like it but some people who are sensitive to it, might argue that there is:
A) too much bite on the guitars
B) Not enough sub bass

I myself really enjoy the Luna though so it’s all subjective and I have freakishly small and crooked ear canals so what works for me might very well not work for others. In that regard I’m blessed with the Luna as I know a lot of people say it’s not a very secure seal or it’s hard because the nozzles are short, etc...
To most people this isn’t a good thing. To me it’s actually a good thing as it means I get a perfect fit with great comfort and good sound that doesn’t require a super deep fit.
Shell also is barely small enough to fit in my concha so there’s that. If I need to pull at my ear lobe to fit them in my concha, you can probably guess that there are very little IEM’s that fit inside my concha 😂

The Luna to me really fit my music style though as I listen to:

- Metal (In flames, trivium, Slipknot, Soilwork, Metallica, etc)
- Indie
- Jazz / Blues
- Piano
- Cinematic Music (Hans Zimmer)

I’d say they probably won’t fit bass heads who listen mostly to EDM and Hip-Hop.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #759 of 2,094
I don’t like to get caught up too much on driver materials, b/c there are many more important aspects of an IEM, but there really is something about beryllium or beryllium-coated DDs for playing metal genres.

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #760 of 2,094
Do you guys have recommendations for a single-dynamic driver IEM for melodic and technical genres?

I currently use any of the CFA Andromeda, Fearless SF8F, Thieaudio Clairvoyance, or Noble K10s. I want something different.

I do have the CFA Atlas but... I really do not enjoy them. Way too intense, no balance at all.It's funny, I don't normally mind headphones which are all about power and bass (I am not a bass head, but I love listening to my Dekoni Blue for instance) but in the case of the Atlas, it's a total miss for me.

Out there today are the CFA Vega 2020, Shozy Black Hole, Fiio FD5... Have any of you gone with these or another good single driver model out there? Thanks for sharing your experience!

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #761 of 2,094
Do you guys have recommendations for a single-dynamic driver IEM for melodic and technical genres?

I currently use any of the CFA Andromeda, Fearless SF8F, Thieaudio Clairvoyance, or Noble K10s. I want something different.

I do have the CFA Atlas but... I really do not enjoy them. Way too intense, no balance at all.It's funny, I don't normally mind headphones which are all about power and bass (I am not a bass head, but I love listening to my Dekoni Blue for instance) but in the case of the Atlas, it's a total miss for me.

Out there today are the CFA Vega 2020, Shozy Black Hole, Fiio FD5... Have any of you gone with these or another good single driver model out there? Thanks for sharing your experience!
I recommend looking into the KBEar Believe and the FiiO FD5. Both have a well balanced tuning, and both are known to have a great soundstage and imaging. I can personally vouch for the Believe.

I don’t know much about the new Dunu Zen, but that and the Luna may be of interest as well. Oh, perhaps the Moondrop Illumination also.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #762 of 2,094
I agree, and have commented on that a few times, but I don’t know if I discussed it with you specifically. I find that to be the one main weakness of the NM2+. When passages get really complex, like with death metal and some symphonic music, it sounds compressed and imaging becomes blurred. You get that amorphous “wall of sound” effect. I find that this is one area where multi-driver IEMs and beryllium-type DDs really help. Beryllium DDs not only seem resistant to that compression effect, but they also typically have bass speed, potency, and good transient attack. For instance, in the more affordable category of IEMs, the FiiO FD1, Shozy Form 1.1, UrbanFun YBF, and of course the KBEar Believe handle metal genres well (the FiiO FH3 probably also handles metal really well, but I no longer have mine to listen to).

I just got the Believe and i can't disagree more. The bass is overpowering and hyped, it drowns out everything especially with death metal. Tip rolling does very little to help. Mids are recessed, not as drastically as my KZ ZAX, but male vocals are quiet.

Bass is bloomy, it's not muddy or distorted, but it's bloomy and that's really bad for metal.

I'm really disappointed I spent this much on something that barely sounds better than the ZAX. whatever benefits of beryllium are the are completely drowned out in bass.

Classical sounds good.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #763 of 2,094
I just got the Believe and i can't disagree more. The bass is overpowering and hyped, it drowns out everything especially with death metal. Tip rolling does very little to help. Mids are recessed, not as drastically as my KZ ZAX, but male vocals are quiet.

Bass is bloomy, it's not muddy or distorted, but it's bloomy and that's really bad for metal.

I'm really disappointed I spent this much on something that barely sounds better than the ZAX. whatever benefits of beryllium are the are completely drowned out in bass.

Classical sounds good.
Sorry it’s not working out for you. I can only vouch for what I hear. The mid bass is a little bit more than I find ideal, but I certainly haven’t found it bloomy. Check with the KBEar thread for some other recommendations. I know most people find that it needs a ton of power. The mid bass does decrease with some playing time.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #764 of 2,094
Sorry it’s not working out for you. I can only vouch for what I hear. The mid bass is a little bit more than I find ideal, but I certainly haven’t found it bloomy. Check with the KBEar thread for some other recommendations. I know most people find that it needs a ton of power. The mid bass does decrease with some playing time.

It's 17ohms and 98dB. It does not need a ton of power, what do people think this is some power hungry planar? It sounds the same off an LG G7, JDS Atom, and MOTU M4.

The bass is boomy as hell. Still somewhat fast, but it's overbearing and anything fast or double bass is awful. This is a awful for metal that has any bass. Black metal, heavy classic metal like Priest and Maiden are all OK, but forget about anything fast.

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #765 of 2,094

Users who are viewing this thread

Back