IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #586 of 2,093
I’m using that Feather and Bone album this week to test grating cymbals (don’t get me wrong I love the track though!). If my headphones do it well then they are a keeper is my mentality this week!

I’ve also been listening to Fall of Rauros recently too as Tidal recommends them after Blut Aus Nord. Sounds like we are liking some of the same (new) music. What do you use keep track of new stuff? I’m using Tidal/Roon to suggest stuff, but also Zero Tolerance mag here in the UK as well as ‘Metal Archives’ website’.

Also, I’m 11 months into my new years resolution to listen to a new album everyday. Today’s is the newly released Cadaver, which is good but with very distinctive drums!
That's good to know, yeah Feather and bone/Falls of Rauros/Blut aus Nord all three solid bands. My source for new music is either metal achieves or following my favorite record labels, 20buch spin has been killing it lately. I am not a fan of streaming so Bandcamp downloads or CD's is how I do it. The last Necrot kills if you are into OSDM

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #587 of 2,093
The right earpiece distorts abnormally at high frequencie, it croaks a bit too. I was not sure, but then I played Master of Puppets and heard it clearly. I am very sad at the moment. I e-mailed to Linsou, let’s see what they say.
Sorry you had to go thru this buddy. I know how that feels, been there.
Am sure Linsoul will take care of this, one better way is to get in touch with them on their Discord channel. They reply fast there. Linsoul email replys take time.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #588 of 2,093
Sorry you had to go thru this buddy. I know how that feels, been there.
Am sure Linsoul will take care of this, one better way is to get in touch with them on their Discord channel. They reply fast there. Linsoul email replys take time.

Thank you, I will contact them on Discord then.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #589 of 2,093
@Leviathant and @Vruksha to keep tabs on new releases check out No Clean Singing

Vruksha you really made me scratch my head looking for well-produced albums. I combed through some of my favorites, stayed up super late actually because of you :skull: :beerchug: and didn’t return with much, because what moves me is rarely the best material recording-wise. As someone said - was it @SomeGuyDude ? it’s so much a matter of how production matches the content. Temple Nightside needs to sound necro. Don’t get me started on Nåstrond. Conversely some stuff is deceptively well-produced, esp. BM bands. I was listening to Portuguese band Grievance, lots of good material on their latest EP, for instance a song called Mistérios da Ordem. Or French band Celestia. It’s very delineated and separated, bass lines are easy to follow, the drums on Grievance are damn satisfying as well as the interplay between rhythm and lead guitar. Also I often like bands which construct harmonics around the bass line.

I did manage to compile this profoundly non-exhaustive list: (presented as artist > song)
  • Aenaon > Oneirodynia (intricate, expertly balanced and clear)
  • Type O Negative > Suspended in Dusk (the heaviness and physicality of drums, Steele’s voice, big-budget engineering)
  • Regarde les hommes tomber > The Crowning
  • Black Tongue > The Cathedral / Plague Worship (druuuuuumz)
  • Scarab > Bloodmoon Shadows
  • Beheaded > From the Fire Where it all Began
  • Cane Hill > Strange Candy (best use of the wah-wah ever)
  • Gojira > Silvera (MQA on Tidal, big-budget DM)
  • Evoken > The Weald of Perished Men (deep doom)
  • Most stuff by Zeal & Ardor for a different challenge - what iems can do Black metal mixed with possessed gospel?
  • Forgotten Tomb > Cold Summer (goes back to my earlier statement on strong bass guitar harmonics)
  • Valborg > Orbitalwaffe (blows my mind)
  • Cavalera Conspiracy > Judas Pariah / Insane (what a drive! So aggressive)
  • Immolation > Fostering the Divide
  • Septicflesh > The Vampire from Nazareth / A Great Mass of Death / We, the Gods / The Undead Keep Dreaming / Dark Art... (but it’s their earlier material that makes my heart beat the fastest, up to The Ophidian Wheel)

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #590 of 2,093
Just hoping that perhaps the upper mids and treble sound a little smoother. Truthfully, it was like flipping a coin.
Unfortunately there is no proper comparison anywhere between the S8F/S8P/S8Z. Only thing I got to know is well F is V sound ( I didn't find the mids too recessed tbh) , P is the middle ground (slightly less high/lows?), Z is the most neutral- analytical (more detail monster than the other two, which might end up fatiguing for metal maybe)
Just my basic guess from owner opinions, correct me if am wrong

Nov 28, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #591 of 2,093
@Leviathant and @Vruksha to keep tabs on new releases check out No Clean Singing

Vruksha you really made me scratch my head looking for well-produced albums. I combed through some of my favorites, stayed up super late actually because of you :skull: :beerchug: and didn’t return with much, because what moves me is rarely the best material recording-wise. As someone said - was it @SomeGuyDude ? it’s so much a matter of how production matches the content. Temple Nightside needs to sound necro. Don’t get me started on Nåstrond. Conversely some stuff is deceptively well-produced, esp. BM bands. I was listening to Portuguese band Grievance, lots of good material on their latest EP, for instance a song called Mistérios da Ordem. Or French band Celestia. It’s very delineated and separated, bass lines are easy to follow, the drums on Grievance are damn satisfying as well as the interplay between rhythm and lead guitar. Also I often like bands which construct harmonics around the bass line.

I did manage to compile this profoundly non-exhaustive list: (presented as artist > song)
  • Type O Negative > Suspended in Dusk (the heaviness and physicality of drums, Steele’s voice, big-budget engineering)
  • Most stuff by Zeal & Ardor for a different challenge - what iems can do Black metal mixed with possessed gospel?
  • Forgotten Tomb > Cold Summer (goes back to my earlier statement on strong bass guitar harmonics)
  • Septicflesh > The Vampire from Nazareth / A Great Mass of Death / We, the Gods / The Undead Keep Dreaming / Dark Art... (but it’s their earlier material that makes my heart beat the fastest, up to The Ophidian Wheel)

That was me! And man some of these albums are fantastic. I've noticed a lot of post- tends to have excellent production, likely because the atmosphere is so important.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #592 of 2,093

Any spotify playlists? Maybe fun to share.. im always on the hunt for new songs

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #593 of 2,093
Someone asked me to post a few impressions about the LZ A7 regarding trash metal and power metal. So, here goes:

- I'm using the gold-monitor settings: this way, I think I pretty much keep the "thump" of the bass/sub-bass, the "sparkly" treble and a tad forwardness of the mids. Everything sounds crispy and definied. Nothing is too recessed.
- My taste: I wanted more "thump" in the bass drum, definiton in the treble (which pure DD iems usually dont' give) and the thicker mids of the Starfield. Thickers mids mean a little bit of aggressiviness to the timbre of the guitars. That's exactly what I got from this setting of the LZ A7.

Angra's Temple of Shadow have a pretty busy drummer, and the LZ A7 delivers it: you can hear and feel a ton of the notes being played by the drummer, while you hear a very nice timbre of the guitars.
Stratovarius: I chose the "Episode" album as this formation of the band is the one I liked the most. The timbre of Timo Tolkki's guitar is specially good in this iem. Precise and aggresive. Vocals are beautiful and clear. Tons of notes... never congested.
Megadeth: Rude awakeding, the live album. Now... here is a little bit of a problem. I still feel some notes of the bassline are absolutely congested when Mustaine's shredding starts. Now... I don't know i f it's the problem of the recording or the iem. At least the drums felt more separated than usual, so it gained a level of spaciousness that I never heard in this album.
Metallica: Ride the lighting. On the other hand, Metallica, although trash too, never felt congested. And that's the case here. Everything sounds well separated, and the guitars are a tad more defined, crispy compared to some DD iems I've heard before. Very, very good feeling!
Bonus: Please, to those who have this iem... listen to Steve Ray Vaughan's Pride and Joy!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #594 of 2,093

Thankyou for taking the time to do this, A well produced album makes a world of difference. I sometimes feel people go crazy to get the best gear but not put much focus on finding well mixed/mastered tracks. I've been finding some great sounding albums lately, metal with justifying sound makes a world of difference. Might not be Audiophile grade persay but sounds damn good to my ears. I am making a list, will share it here once it's done. I do have some of these mentioned artist on my list as well.
P.S - Grievance sounds damn good!
Thanks again, Please feel free to add in my if you have more in mind.

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #595 of 2,093
testing the 1.1 with final E tips and the highs are pitchy a.f, overly crisp, had to use gry foam tips from dont know where, and it tames down to my liking.. a bit

haven't tested on 4.4 but i think it's unnecessary as 3.5 has sufficient juice to run

I'm listening to yokai by within destruction while typing, also tried on rule of nines + holy roller by spiritbox

fit is acceptable, albeit a bit small and light

Dec 1, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #596 of 2,093
Someone asked me to post a few impressions about the LZ A7 regarding trash metal and power metal. So, here goes:

- I'm using the gold-monitor settings: this way, I think I pretty much keep the "thump" of the bass/sub-bass, the "sparkly" treble and a tad forwardness of the mids. Everything sounds crispy and definied. Nothing is too recessed.
- My taste: I wanted more "thump" in the bass drum, definiton in the treble (which pure DD iems usually dont' give) and the thicker mids of the Starfield. Thickers mids mean a little bit of aggressiviness to the timbre of the guitars. That's exactly what I got from this setting of the LZ A7.

Angra's Temple of Shadow have a pretty busy drummer, and the LZ A7 delivers it: you can hear and feel a ton of the notes being played by the drummer, while you hear a very nice timbre of the guitars.
Stratovarius: I chose the "Episode" album as this formation of the band is the one I liked the most. The timbre of Timo Tolkki's guitar is specially good in this iem. Precise and aggresive. Vocals are beautiful and clear. Tons of notes... never congested.
Megadeth: Rude awakeding, the live album. Now... here is a little bit of a problem. I still feel some notes of the bassline are absolutely congested when Mustaine's shredding starts. Now... I don't know i f it's the problem of the recording or the iem. At least the drums felt more separated than usual, so it gained a level of spaciousness that I never heard in this album.
Metallica: Ride the lighting. On the other hand, Metallica, although trash too, never felt congested. And that's the case here. Everything sounds well separated, and the guitars are a tad more defined, crispy compared to some DD iems I've heard before. Very, very good feeling!
Bonus: Please, to those who have this iem... listen to Steve Ray Vaughan's Pride and Joy!
Damn... i tought the a7 was just a bit lacking the drumpunch hmmm.
Anyone here got there hands on kbear believe. Very intresting v shape☺

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201201-142421_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201201-142421_Samsung Internet.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #597 of 2,093
I'd say it lacks a tad bit, but on the other hand it compensates with timbre. If you have the LZ A7, try the Sepultura's Territory song. The drumms in general sound really, really good!
Also... I really don't knowif t's possible to put more bass without sacrificing something, like detail. BUT... I agree that a little bit more would be awesome! i'm satisfied, though.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #599 of 2,093
I am simply guessing that Beleive lacks the speed for metal. That's a guess after whatever I've read about them.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #600 of 2,093
Sepultura's early career is crazy!
Morbid visions
Schizophrenia
Beneath the remains
Arise
Chaos AD
Putting out mad records back to back!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back