IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jan 8, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #61 of 2,093
64 Audio N8, if you can afford it, is the ultimate solution in my opinion.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #62 of 2,093
64 Audio N8, if you can afford it, is the ultimate solution in my opinion.

And probably it is.

But for those who can only afford 300 $ I would still recommend the sonys n3ap

For those with only 30 $, I still find cheap Sonys very musical, only if inaccurate on the extremes of the spectrum.

Also I find the improvement from 30 to 300 $ gear like a + 70%, whereas comparing 300$ $ gear, like the sonys n3ap or sennheiser ie80s to top of the line cans, like sennheiser hd800s or $2000 focals I feel like the improvement is +5%, again in trebles and bass detail.

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #64 of 2,093
And probably it is.

But for those who can only afford 300 $ I would still recommend the sonys n3ap

For those with only 30 $, I still find cheap Sonys very musical, only if inaccurate on the extremes of the spectrum.

Also I find the improvement from 30 to 300 $ gear like a + 70%, whereas comparing 300$ $ gear, like the sonys n3ap or sennheiser ie80s to top of the line cans, like sennheiser hd800s or $2000 focals I feel like the improvement is +5%, again in trebles and bass detail.

On the other hand, if we'd stop collecting so many cheap sets, we could save enough for a high end :)

How do you like the N3AP for metal? Looking at the HBB sound demo it sound way too dark and bass bloated.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #65 of 2,093
On the other hand, if we'd stop collecting so many cheap sets, we could save enough for a high end

Agree . But the path to audiophile wisdom passes through many 30$ iems for too many of us.

How do you like the N3AP for metal? Looking at the HBB sound demo it sound way too dark and bass bloated.

I agree the demo unit may sound dark, I had this same impression.
But once I started using it the overall signature moved towards the balanced side of things, with elevated sub bass, and the mildly V-shaped sound signature.
To me this one sounds far from dark.
I admit I don't understood why demo units appear this way.
And for metal are good jack of all trades, fitting all genres.
I would rate its bass very good. I have heard better though.

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #66 of 2,093
What would you guys recommend, for those who've owned them, Custom-IEM-wise?

I'm trying to keep get CIEMs under $600 and replace ALL my earphones. I think it's the only way for me, since my earcannals make fitting any non-custom IEMs an issue.

Jan 22, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #67 of 2,093
whats the best choice for under £500?

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #68 of 2,093
ok make that £600

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #69 of 2,093
Any wireless recommendations or if that isn't a go a wired IEMs under $300.00. Source is mostly FLAC off my Cayin N3 or streaming from my pixel 2. My current IEMs are Sure 215. I know I can add a BT adapter (already had the Mee) but I'm exploring other options. Don't need ANC. I like the 215. Doesn't aggravate my tinnnitus and with a tad bit of eq has good bass. My sound preference is a bottom end that is elevated slightly but with slam, slightly warm but not vailed mids with good detail and a neutral to warm treble. My musical choices tend to run in the melo/melodic/prog death, prog and some black. Amorphis Opeth, Soen, Belakor, Dark Tranquillity, Moonspell, Shylmagoghnar, Firtan, Ne Obliviscarous Slugdge I also do hard rock, Stoner and OAR.

I have the SE215 and SE215se too. However i have almost completely stopped using them after i got my Tin audio T2 with foams. Overall feels sooo much better than the 215 in terms of everything.. Listening to long hours is sooo non-fatiguing. and better representation of the music. SE215 feels muddy now with veiled highs.

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #70 of 2,093
I have the SE215 and SE215se too. However i have almost completely stopped using them after i got my Tin audio T2 with foams. Overall feels sooo much better than the 215 in terms of everything.. Listening to long hours is sooo non-fatiguing. and better representation of the music. SE215 feels muddy now with veiled highs.
Well crap. This looks interesting. I'm treble sensitive especially in the 2-6khz range. How the tin2 vs. Se215 in this range and in teh bass department. Most reviews are saying the Tin2 is a but thin in bottom end. For me this is where the SE215 is most lacking even with some EQ it doesn't have the impact and depth of my Thinksound TS02s. I'm reading about the TRN V80 and tin2 pro. as well. :L3000:

[edit for typo/spellos]

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #71 of 2,093
I think I'm probably going to get the periodic be, but the only thing that holds me back is not having a detachable cable.

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #72 of 2,093
I think I'm probably going to get the periodic be, but the only thing that holds me back is not having a detachable cable.
I'm with you on the Be as an option and not having a removable cable. Been looking at the Fiio FA7. Wonder if it's warmer u shape would work better than the FH5. Being able to use them on my BT5 adapter is a huge plus. **** I hate wires.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #73 of 2,093
I'm with you on the Be as an option and not having a removable cable. Been looking at the Fiio FA7. Wonder if it's warmer u shape would work better than the FH5. Being able to use them on my BT5 adapter is a huge plus. **** I hate wires.
I've been wondering about the fiio fa7 too. Anybody know how these are for metal?

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #74 of 2,093
Recently i bought old Audeo PFE 111... Jesus Christ, they are amazing! Instrument separation is perfect, crystal clear highs (gray filters), right amount of balanced bass. Similar to MEE P1, but with deeper bass and without strong peaks in highs, maybe slightly smaller sounstage than MEE, but still amazing. Now I'm listening to Chimaira - Pleasure in Pain, such a power!

Shame that Audeo does not produce earphones anymore.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #75 of 2,093
I recently got my Ultimate Ears UE7s. I got them at NAMM so for a significant discount. These are mid-centric monitors and so I felt they would do the trick for my technical death metal preferences.
Now of course, sound requirements and,to a lesser extent, perception, is subjective. For me personally, when I think 'metal' and IEM, I view my needs as:
* Quality over Quantity for bass. If it's a little recessed, no problem. There should be no mud and low-mids should be flat to ensure delivery speed
* Flat, non-recessed mids. Dynamics/punch is a total requirement here
* Neutral treble. I don't want sibiliance, but I want to hear those cymbals and punch harmonics

The IE7s is exactly this. The bass is definitely recessed, but it's also very accurate. Still though, for bassheads this is NOT the CIEM to get, for sure, regardless of your musical preferences.
If you know where to listen for the bass and don't mind it being a little further, the UE7s have a fantastic midrange and treble clarity that really delivery great faster, more technical metal genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back