IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Nov 10, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #1,441 of 2,102
Can anyone recommed Fearless S8F for metal?
Right now I have FLC8n which are nic, but due to a little "accident" the 2-pin socket became loose and sometimes the cables just jumps off the socket.

I was consedering S8F as I saw the measurements.
Source: Hiby R3 Pro, but maybe in the future I'll change the DAP to Hiby R5 or Shanling M3x, nothing certain.

I love the FLC sound with the new Trivium album, jsut magnificent piece of work, however slight muffled mix - treble energy of FLC help to get a really nice sound.
FewFkZq.jpeg

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,442 of 2,102
You can also put on the list JH Audio Roxanne. To my ears is the best sounding iem for metal music. I had the Mest and at first I thought it sounded great until I compared them with Roxanne and I realized that Roxanne sounded better and even more detailed than the Mest

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,443 of 2,102
You can also put on the list JH Audio Roxanne. To my ears is the best sounding iem for metal music. I had the Mest and at first I thought it sounded great until I compared them with Roxanne and I realized that Roxanne sounded better and even more detailed than the Mest
Ok thx

My list currently is:

- Unique Melody MEST MK2
- Sony IER-M9
- Thieaudio Monarch
- Thieaudio Monarch Mk2
- 64 Audio U12T
- JH Audio Roxanne
- Campfire Solaris

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #1,444 of 2,102
From the expensive iems I had quite a few like JH Audio Layla, UM Mest, UM Mentor V3, EE Valkyrie, Campfire Solaris 2020, Campfire Andromeda, Noble Kaiser K10, Heir Audio 10.0 and more, and from all of them to my ears Roxanne sounds the best but you need to know they scale with more power. They sound ok from everything but the better the source, the better they sound

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,445 of 2,102
From the expensive iems I had quite a few like JH Audio Layla, UM Mest, UM Mentor V3, EE Valkyrie, Campfire Solaris 2020, Campfire Andromeda, Noble Kaiser K10, Heir Audio 10.0 and more, and from all of them to my ears Roxanne sounds the best but you need to know they scale with more power. They sound ok from everything but the better the source, the better they sound
How's the bass impact on the Roxanne's? Do you find it lacking without a DD handling the low end? Of the JH Audio lineup, the Layla piques my interest the most.

Nov 10, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #1,447 of 2,102
Can anyone recommed Fearless S8F for metal?
Right now I have FLC8n which are nic, but due to a little "accident" the 2-pin socket became loose and sometimes the cables just jumps off the socket.

I was consedering S8F as I saw the measurements.
Source: Hiby R3 Pro, but maybe in the future I'll change the DAP to Hiby R5 or Shanling M3x, nothing certain.

I love the FLC sound with the new Trivium album, jsut magnificent piece of work, however slight muffled mix - treble energy of FLC help to get a really nice sound.
FewFkZq.jpeg

That album is a masterpiece!
I can't recommend Fearless S8F... With busy metal tracks the high-mids and treble sounds like a single big puddle of mud, I cuouldn't hear any separation, and bass were too weak.... Bad experience for me.
But... I think I'm a DD guy, because I need to feel that bass slam of the drum or the bass guitar, and I want good instruments separation, and I am treble sensitive and can't use very bright IEMs.
Someone else will recommend S8F for metal, but I think there are way many better IEMs out there.

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #1,448 of 2,102
How's the bass impact on the Roxanne's? Do you find it lacking without a DD handling the low end? Of the JH Audio lineup, the Layla piques my interest the most.
The bass is adjustable on the cable and to my ears is quite satisfying unless you are set on dynamic type of bass sound. The bass is fast and it has a great midbass. I am not the best at describing the sound but I am sure you can find a lot of information on the head fi.

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #1,449 of 2,102
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #1,450 of 2,102
I'm not sure what "rich enough" means but I will say these are the only IEMs I've heard that can possibly keep up with a genre such as Tech Death Metal. They definitely compare in detail retrieval/resolution with my kilobuck+ headphones. Possibly even better but I'm not willing to admit that yet. :sweat_smile:
Oh one other thing about the VX is it is an imaging king. For instance, if the vocalist is slightly to the left of a cardioid mic you will know it. Some people hate that. I found it annoying at first but now I've come to love it.

So by "rich" I was thinking of some warmth in the lower mids to make vocals and acoustic guitars sound full. I was imagining that super clean, precise tuning might not have that. Definitely noted on the resolution and imaging!

Hmm. Again, I'm not sure what "polite" means but I will say the main problem with the Monarch is kick-drums sound anemic. You will absolutely need to EQ and bump up the FR around 130 Hz to make them sound more appropriate. Otherwise, I have nothing bad to say about Monarch in terms of tuning and technicalities. It only falls noticeably short to the VX.

Just a lack of punchiness (same issue I have with the B2: Dusk), so your description is pretty much what I had in mind.

If you want the Focal Clear punch maybe you have to forget the VX/V14 and the Helios (no DD).

I have tried the Z1R and it’s a big no for me to listen to metal, to much treble and harshness. And I still are looking for the mids :sweat_smile:

About the Monarch, I think the Clairvoyance is a much better option for rock, progressive, metal, and all these genres. The Monarch lacks in mid bass, and sounds a bit thin/anemic for my taste.

For me the perfect option is the Mest, OG (if you like treble, spicy and holographic sound) or MK2 (if you like more bass).

Thanks both of you for the tips! I ended up kind of impulsively getting the Monarch Mk II as I do think I need that dynamic driver bass. Not a lot of reviews out, but early light impressions from crin and here on head fi have been nothing but effusive, so I'm gonna take the gamble on them. Will report back! If it's not perfect, going to try the MEST Mk2 next.

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #1,451 of 2,102
You guys are giving me a hard time choosing between

- Mest MK2
- U12T
- Roxanne
- Monarch Mk2

I wonder if the Roxanne has enough satisfying bass since it does not have a dynamic driver.

I currently own the ISN H40 and due to their 10mm dynamic driver the bass on those is pretty satisfying.

Can someone tell me more about the bass on the Roxanne ?

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #1,452 of 2,102
You guys are giving me a hard time choosing between

- Mest MK2
- U12T
- Roxanne
- Monarch Mk2

I wonder if the Roxanne has enough satisfying bass since it does not have a dynamic driver.

I currently own the ISN H40 and due to their 10mm dynamic driver the bass on those is pretty satisfying.

Can someone tell me more about the bass on the Roxanne ?
If you found satisfying the ISN H40 bass, I think your options should be Mest MK2 or Monarch MK2.

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #1,453 of 2,102
So by "rich" I was thinking of some warmth in the lower mids to make vocals and acoustic guitars sound full. I was imagining that super clean, precise tuning might not have that. Definitely noted on the resolution and imaging!

Just a lack of punchiness (same issue I have with the B2: Dusk), so your description is pretty much what I had in mind.

Thanks both of you for the tips! I ended up kind of impulsively getting the Monarch Mk II as I do think I need that dynamic driver bass. Not a lot of reviews out, but early light impressions from crin and here on head fi have been nothing but effusive, so I'm gonna take the gamble on them. Will report back! If it's not perfect, going to try the MEST Mk2 next.
I think the Monarch MK2 is a good choice. Good buy!

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #1,455 of 2,102
Empire Ears - Evo - End of thread.

Seriously, I have tried a lot of high end IEM's and the Evo has smashed them as an all rounder for pretty much all music that invoves drums, a bass and a guitar. I am selling almost all my other gear to just keep Odin and Evo. I am not sure whether to sell my KSE1200's as they are still king for detail retrieval but honestly the Odin's are so close and excel in other areas, I may just sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back