IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Oct 5, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #1,411 of 2,099
This is what I use the Nio for as well. It has the visceral bass you're talking about. For faster metal it can feel a little sloppy. Another great option is the Thummim. Chunky guitar riffs combined with treble extension and a holographic soundstage. Some have described the Thummim as the TC in IEM form. I find it difficult to compare across IEMs and HPs, as I don't think it's possible to do what the TC does in IEMs, but I can see the resemblance I suppose.
Hi there.
I see that you have and / or have tried almost all the best in IEMs, and that you also enjoy metal.
My preferred IEM, so far, is the Mest. I do not feel that it lacks bass almost at any time (IMHO). I also really like the other 2 IEMs that I have right now, the Clairvoyance and the Isabellae.
However, lately I have noticed some discomfort and sometimes even pain in the ears, after using the IEMs for a while. This has worsened after a tinnitus appeared in my left ear this weekend (I'm much better today).
My impression is that my ears are bothered by the air pressure when I am using IEMs. This has never happened to me when using the U12t, but I sold it because its sound was not to my total liking (I was missing a bass DD, basically).
For all this, I was thinking maybe of selling the Clairvoyance and the Isabellae (I will keep the Mest, because I love it), and look for a 64a with DD driver that I might like. Among the options (Nio, Trio, Fourte) I think I would put the Trio first, without having tried any of them. I think the Nio would lack treble extension for my liking, and the Fourte is out of price for me.

How about you see the Trio for rock, progressive and metal? How would you compare it to Mest? Is it worth saving and paying the difference in price between the Fourte and the Trio?

Thank you so much for everything.

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #1,412 of 2,099
Hi there.
I see that you have and / or have tried almost all the best in IEMs, and that you also enjoy metal.
My preferred IEM, so far, is the Mest. I do not feel that it lacks bass almost at any time (IMHO). I also really like the other 2 IEMs that I have right now, the Clairvoyance and the Isabellae.
However, lately I have noticed some discomfort and sometimes even pain in the ears, after using the IEMs for a while. This has worsened after a tinnitus appeared in my left ear this weekend (I'm much better today).
My impression is that my ears are bothered by the air pressure when I am using IEMs. This has never happened to me when using the U12t, but I sold it because its sound was not to my total liking (I was missing a bass DD, basically).
For all this, I was thinking maybe of selling the Clairvoyance and the Isabellae (I will keep the Mest, because I love it), and look for a 64a with DD driver that I might like. Among the options (Nio, Trio, Fourte) I think I would put the Trio first, without having tried any of them. I think the Nio would lack treble extension for my liking, and the Fourte is out of price for me.

How about you see the Trio for rock, progressive and metal? How would you compare it to Mest? Is it worth saving and paying the difference in price between the Fourte and the Trio?

Thank you so much for everything.
First of all, have you addressed other possible sources of discomfort? E.g. lowering the volume and trying less deep insertion with larger tips to create a seal further out? If you can address the comfort issues, I think the Mest v2 is actually great for metal. (Don't know about the differences with v1).

As to the 64 audio options:
- Trio is a great IEM, but it is too bright for some. It is the brightest in my collection (but I generally prefer a darker signature). It is considerably brigher than the Mest 2.
- The Nio is much more laid back, so if you like it spicy, the Nio would not be an option for you, indeed. I love its warm tonality and super strong bass (I use M15), esp. for slower metal like doom.
- The Fourte is more balanced than the Trio, less V shaped but still quite bright (just OK for me), and it has a very wide/holographic soundstage. I like it much more than the Trio, personally. The detail retrieval is great and it sounds very natural to me. But opinions on the Fourte are divided, some find it too bright and the mids strange sounding. The price of used units has come down considerably.

I like all 64 audio IEMs, also for metal. They all bring something else to the table. If I really had to choose I would keep the Fourte. You can find used models of all three, and then the resale loss is limited, so I would just try them all .... :)

Oct 5, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #1,413 of 2,099
First of all, have you addressed other possible sources of discomfort? E.g. lowering the volume and trying less deep insertion with larger tips to create a seal further out? If you can address the comfort issues, I think the Mest v2 is actually great for metal. (Don't know about the differences with v1).

As to the 64 audio options:
- Trio is a great IEM, but it is too bright for some. It is the brightest in my collection (but I generally prefer a darker signature). It is considerably brigher than the Mest 2.
- The Nio is much more laid back, so if you like it spicy, the Nio would not be an option for you, indeed. I love its warm tonality and super strong bass (I use M15), esp. for slower metal like doom.
- The Fourte is more balanced than the Trio, less V shaped but still quite bright (just OK for me), and it has a very wide/holographic soundstage. I like it much more than the Trio, personally. The detail retrieval is great and it sounds very natural to me. But opinions on the Fourte are divided, some find it too bright and the mids strange sounding. The price of used units has come down considerably.

I like all 64 audio IEMs, also for metal. They all bring something else to the table. If I really had to choose I would keep the Fourte. You can find used models of all three, and then the resale loss is limited, so I would just try them all .... :)
I already use the IEMs with large tips and shallow insertion. The discomfort started when I started using them for more hours a day.
I have tried softer tips, but I have not noticed much difference.

For now I'm wearing a Koss KSC75 at work, which is where I listen to music the longest, at a low volume, to give my ears a break. And at home I'm using headphones more.

Maybe I will give the Nio a chance, and if I like it as a relaxed option, I can consider staying with the Mest - Nio couple as complementary IEMs.

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #1,414 of 2,099
I already use the IEMs with large tips and shallow insertion. The discomfort started when I started using them for more hours a day.
I have tried softer tips, but I have not noticed much difference.

For now I'm wearing a Koss KSC75 at work, which is where I listen to music the longest, at a low volume, to give my ears a break. And at home I'm using headphones more.

Maybe I will give the Nio a chance, and if I like it as a relaxed option, I can consider staying with the Mest - Nio couple as complementary IEMs.
The newly released 64 Audio Duo may also be worth looking into if isolation isn't a requirement. I've yet to hear it but it's been described by folks here as having a touch more air in the treble region compared to the Nio. Possibly due to it's semi-open back design. I think it gives up some of the subbass rumble and bass thickness that the Nio has, but it still utilizes a DD for the low end with a solid bass shelf and should have some proper oomph when called upon. The Nio is quite laid back with a very inoffensive treble, which can be seen as either positive or negative depending on your preferences. It's non-fatiguing for sure, but doesn't standout either.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #1,415 of 2,099
I've had the UM MEST shortly after launch and never looked back especially for extreme metal subgenres, it's virtually perfect in every aspect save for one personal preference issue: the lack of hedonistic visceral bass response that I crave so much (especially with well recorded melodic tech death like the new Inferi, Stortregn, Ophidian-I, Demon King - which are all in my top 10 releases so far this year along with Hooded Menace and Mare Cognitum). I currently have the MEST MKII and it's a small noticeable upgrade in the mid-bass area, but it's still a long ways from being fully satisfying.

I'm seriously considering trying out the new EE Legend Evo to satisfy my need for visceral bass and a generally funner sound signature, early reviews seem promising so far but I don't think anyone has tested them with extreme metal subgenres where speed, clarity and detail retrieval in the low-end are everything (otherwise it just sounds like a muddy mess akin to to the original Legend X).

I also listen to quite a bit of DnB (neurofunk, liquid, halftime) and 140bpm deep dubstep (not that brostep garbage), so my rationale is that it'll end up being a complementary IEM set at worst next to the MEST MKII. Anyone else feel this way regarding wanting to feel visceral bass on an emotional level like that guy with the Cryptic Shift avatar a few pages back talking the 64a Nio? Don't get me wrong, the UM MEST MKII are plenty enjoyable in general especially with metal (any subgenre really), definitely a long cry from the absolute snoozefest that is the 64a U12t. If only we could get a sound signature like the Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC in IEM form - that would be endgame for metal.
Cool! Another melotechdeath fan! Couldn't agree more with those 2021 albums. Those are top for me as well and like you said are well recorded. Honestly, there is no IEM better matched with tech death than the Anole VX. It is the only IEM I've heard that keeps up with my headphones in terms of dynamics and resolution. Maybe the sub-bass could be lacking but I don't really listen to much music with sub-bass other than the odd theatrical OST.

But, like I said, the clarity and dynamics of instruments is truly top-tier. I've never heard the MEST but I've the Monarch which many compare the MEST to and there's just no comparison. The Monarch still sounds like an IEM where as the Anole sounds like a miniaturized headphone, if that makes sense.

You've already named the top tech stuff of this year but for some good non-tech there's also Hand of Kalliach's two singles, Words of Farewell and Orbit Culture's new EPs.

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #1,416 of 2,099
Hey guys,

I'm looking for IEMs and since I listen to metal 70% of the time (15% other music and 15% series/movies), I wanted to ask for recommendations here.

I was able to listen to the Fiio FD5 with the wide nozzle the other day and I really liked it.
Tight, fast, emphasized bass, no "canny" mids and slightly emphasized treble, without piercing my ears (am quite sensitive to treble in some kHz areas).
In general, I would say that I prefer a good bass and a slight V-shaping.

It has to be fun without being exhausting to listen to.

Would you recommend me the FD5 or are there better alternatives in the range under 500€?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #1,417 of 2,099
Hey guys,

I'm looking for IEMs and since I listen to metal 70% of the time (15% other music and 15% series/movies), I wanted to ask for recommendations here.

I was able to listen to the Fiio FD5 with the wide nozzle the other day and I really liked it.
Tight, fast, emphasized bass, no "canny" mids and slightly emphasized treble, without piercing my ears (am quite sensitive to treble in some kHz areas).
In general, I would say that I prefer a good bass and a slight V-shaping.

It has to be fun without being exhausting to listen to.

Would you recommend me the FD5 or are there better alternatives in the range under 500€?

Thanks a lot for your help :)
Hello,

Personally I like the cheaper FH3, more than the FD5,

My top rec for your budget:
Moondrop Variations, 🔥
Shuoer EJ07 / EJ07M,
Unique Melody 3DT,

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #1,418 of 2,099
All my current IEM's that I actually use are good for metal, but ranking them?

1. MEST mkii (on AR-M2 only)
2. SoftEars Turii
3. Oriolus Isabellae (sometimes, but rarely)
4. Noir (if the tonality works, and the snare pings don't kill you. It's huge and glorious sounding) Chelsea Wolfe's "Hiss Spun" was amazing on it, but Carcass's Heartwork was unbearable. Low-fi metal, I would not attempt here. That's a job for Turii.
5. Solaris (when nothing else feels right, it will)

Are these ultimate? I don't know. They are for me right now, and what has been left standing after a bunch of product went though my ears.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #1,420 of 2,099
I really like the Isabellae. It really ticks all my points.
You don't find it a little bright sometimes? Or missing a degree of thickness in the midrange?

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #1,421 of 2,099
You don't find it a little bright sometimes? Or missing a degree of thickness in the midrange?
No, not at all, for me it is the perfect tonality. I like the bright sound, most headphones seem boring to me at the treble zone.

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,422 of 2,099
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Audio. Trying to experiment with budget IEMs for now (up to 50-60$). I really liked the BLON BL-03 (with Mesh mod and FinalAudio Type E tips), but technicality was a bit of an issue for metal. DQ6 had better technicality, but I found the bass to be a bit overwhelming, and not enough focus on vocals (as I listen to a lot of female front metal like Epica/Nightwish).

So trying my luck for the 3rd time. I was thinking perhaps to go more neutral this time around (Tin T2?) but really - I'm open to any suggestion.
Thanks!

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #1,424 of 2,099
Hi guys, I recently sold two IEMs (UM 3DT and CA Vega 2020) to finance an upgrade. I had MEST MKII in my mind but recently some doubts grew in me.

In the last period I started to listen more to Stoner Rock, Sludge Metal, Hard Blues (All Them Witches, King Buffalo for example). The other favorite genres are Prog Metal, Thrash Metal and Metalcore.

I've read the @RikudouGoku Dunu Falcon Pro review and I started wishing to try them but that "below average" staging, imaging and details stopped me from pulling the trigger.

I really loved the bass kick of the Vega 2020 but obviously they aren't suitable for those very "busy" genres like Prog Metal and Metalcore.

I'm looking for very strong, fast, controlled bass and relaxed "not piercing" treble because I'm treble sensitive and all those cymbals pierce my ears if I choose the wrong IEMs. (for example, I couldn't use Fearless S8F because they hurt my ears and had to sell them)

This night I was reading about Campfire Audio Mammoth, Dunu Falcon Pro and Sennheiser IE series (IE300 IE400 IE500.... I still don't understand the difference between them in terms of components).

Lately I'm starting to think about avoiding chi-fi IEMs but there are some of them that have insane price/quality ratio.

Sorry guys for the long post but I need your metalhead opinions. 🤘🤘🤘

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #1,425 of 2,099
Hi guys, I recently sold two IEMs (UM 3DT and CA Vega 2020) to finance an upgrade. I had MEST MKII in my mind but recently some doubts grew in me.

In the last period I started to listen more to Stoner Rock, Sludge Metal, Hard Blues (All Them Witches, King Buffalo for example). The other favorite genres are Prog Metal, Thrash Metal and Metalcore.

I've read the @RikudouGoku Dunu Falcon Pro review and I started wishing to try them but that "below average" staging, imaging and details stopped me from pulling the trigger.

I really loved the bass kick of the Vega 2020 but obviously they aren't suitable for those very "busy" genres like Prog Metal and Metalcore.

I'm looking for very strong, fast, controlled bass and relaxed "not piercing" treble because I'm treble sensitive and all those cymbals pierce my ears if I choose the wrong IEMs. (for example, I couldn't use Fearless S8F because they hurt my ears and had to sell them)

This night I was reading about Campfire Audio Mammoth, Dunu Falcon Pro and Sennheiser IE series (IE300 IE400 IE500.... I still don't understand the difference between them in terms of components).

Lately I'm starting to think about avoiding chi-fi IEMs but there are some of them that have insane price/quality ratio.

Sorry guys for the long post but I need your metalhead opinions. 🤘🤘🤘
I'm listening to the Mest 2 now. I think it's a very good IEM, punching above its price point, but if you are treble sensitive they may indeed be too much for you.

What budget do you have in mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back