IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #661 of 2,106
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #663 of 2,106
Not necessarily. Check out this list. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rank-the-iems-youve-heard.454855/post-16044781

It’s just that we all have different tastes, and hear things differently. No, the ZAX certainly won’t compete with a $2000 IEM.
Yeah the quality of the hardware is there in the ZAX. But the tuning is so hyped and recessed in certain frequencies that many albums, mainstream stuff too like Rush's Moving PIctures, sound awful. It works on very specific albums and genres like synthwave, classical, and certain jazz albums for me. Very few rock/metal albums sounded even listenable on them. And I own V-shaped stuff like the dt770s that are not nearly so polarizing. In fact, I've never heard anything so polarizing b/c of their tuning. It's either good or bad. There is no in between. I can see how I find that as a much more detrimental thing than others though.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #664 of 2,106
KZ ZAX has turned into a regrettable purchase. They sound good with synthwave and some jazz... That's about it. Horrible tuning. The worst IEMs/cans I own. I have the Monoprice MP80s which have better tuning than the ZAX, even though they lack any refinement and can sound honky like a PA speaker horn. I compared them to everything I own and packed them up. At least the cable is nice. Starting to think a lot of the lower end stuff is being recommended by people who have not heard anything better, because these are supposedly the best tuned hybrids from KZ and they are not good. There are some albums they really sound good, so I know the drivers sound refined, it's the tuning.

I agreed, I thought ZAX was wonderful, until I had NM2+ and Believe... it's unbelievable

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #665 of 2,106
I agreed, I thought ZAX was wonderful, until I had NM2+ and Believe... it's unbelievable
I'm thinking maybe I don't like BAs....

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #666 of 2,106

I think you can't really compared low tiered to mid tiered and high tiered.

as well mid tiered to high tiered and ultimate tiered.

Dec 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #668 of 2,106
Alright guys, I need some master quality metal / metal core to listen to on Tidal... it's like trying to find gold dust on there!

sub $200, I choose Believe from KBear

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #670 of 2,106
Try not to make that judgement based on your experience with KZ. It's high time KZ start tuning better rather than throwing in the most number of BA's. On a budget ($40) there is TRN BA5 which is tuned by Larry try that out, I think BA's work great with metal. Not the most cheapest ones but BA5 is an exception here

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #671 of 2,106
From all the iem's I have owned, these are my pick for metal

Under $50 - TRN BA5 (old batch had QC issues though but latest has apparently fixed this)
Under $100 - Hisenior T2U (2 Knowles ba, ver well tuned)
Under $150 - NM2+ (single DD excellence)
Beleive Under $200 is getting a lotta praise lately but have not tried them yet.
Under $300 - LZ A7 (best release of this year imo)
Under $500 - Fearless S8P/S8F (Beast!)

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #672 of 2,106
I think you can't really compared low tiered to mid tiered and high tiered.

as well mid tiered to high tiered and ultimate tiered.
I'm comparing to the Koss PortaPros and KSC75 too, but I'm with ya

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #673 of 2,106
Hey, just wanted to run this by for some of you, in an earlier post someone was talking about the Periodic Audio Beryllium (BE) IEM's for $300 that were great for metal music. Right now on their website they have half off with code "birds". I just purchased some for $150

oh man, I just have my KBEAR Believe...

on second thought, you better get KBEAR Believe instead of PA Be, just because it looks ugly and it was not favorably reviewed everywhere.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #674 of 2,106
Try not to make that judgement based on your experience with KZ. It's high time KZ start tuning better rather than throwing in the most number of BA's. On a budget ($40) there is TRN BA5 which is tuned by Larry try that out, I think BA's work great with metal. Not the most cheapest ones but BA5 is an exception here

BA5 might be good, but BOY! I hate TRN QC and customer service department... pretty crappy...IMO

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #675 of 2,106
From all the iem's I have owned, these are my pick for metal

Under $50 - TRN BA5 (old batch had QC issues though but latest has apparently fixed this)
Under $100 - Hisenior T2U (2 Knowles ba, ver well tuned)
Under $150 - NM2+ (single DD excellence)
Beleive Under $200 is getting a lotta praise lately but have not tried them yet.
Under $300 - LZ A7 (best release of this year imo)
Under $500 - Fearless S8P/S8F (Beast!)

btw, if you want NM2+, I am selling it for $130, brand new, used about 50 hours, then I got my Believe... those are back into the new box for sale later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back