IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #646 of 2,106
Or i could just order the damn things after too many beers and a few ali-express coupons. KBEar Believe on its way!

Still haven't given up on the ZAX and finally found some tips that are good-ish for metal without EQ: silicone with a narrower diameter than the stock, same bore length. Even then...PortaPros on the KSC75 clips still sound better for metal IMO. ZAX do have specific albums that slap hard and I like them a lot for jazz (these were made for Ruby Rushton).

Anyone else keeping playlists for specific cans/IEMs too?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #647 of 2,106
I still have quite a bit more listening to do with the Fearless S8P, but right now, I think for me, there is roughly a 3 way tie for my favorite IEM that I’ve heard, for metal genres. The UM MEST, the LZ A7, and the Fearless S8P. I’m not able to declare a winner between these three ATM, but you can’t go wrong with any of them.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #648 of 2,106
I wish the A7s were 2 pin

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #649 of 2,106
I wish the A7s were 2 pin
Me too, but I just connected a cable I like, and will leave it on. It sounds so good currently, and there are already so many ways to adjust the sound, that I don’t feel any need to cable roll.

Dec 16, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #650 of 2,106
Can anyone tell me few words on the fit and isolation with A7?
Asking for a friend, I'm supposed to recommend him good all-rounder. So far according to your feedback here I think A7 would suit him good. Only problem it might be price, I'm not sure he's willing to part with that much money. But depending on your input I might persuade him to go for it.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #651 of 2,106
I had ruled that out because I've read quite a few QC issues, like the filter coming off in people's ear, shell falling off, etc. but I guess I should reconsider. There's also the Mangird Tea : |

The way you're describing the A7 it almost sounds like the Senn HD600 with its one note bass, excellent mids, good treble. Here's a test: listen to Imperial Triumphant and see which of the Believe vs A7 vs NM2+ comes out the other side.

I may just go with the 200 range here and save some money since I'm not afraid to EQ, and anything will be a major upgrade on the ZAX's weird mids. IEMs are more of a convenience and comfort thing for me. If I want to really listen to something intently I'll put it up on the Sceptre nearfield monitors. I can deal with imperfection, and tech death and lo fi black metal are probably my least played genres.

Someone decide for me lol.....please! I like smooth treble, and some air on the kick but no bloated lower mids. I happen to really like the ZAX bass, it sounds like a kick drum sounds.

Playlist on UAPP right now is:
Odraza, Astramentus, The Budos Band, Caladan Brood, Jazz Sabbath, svrm, Vehemance, Ulcerate, Demen (dark ambient synth with female vocals), Eloy (old synth/rock prog), Hath, Alexander Scriabin (piano), Havnatt
I am listening to Odraza's new album on LZ A7 they sound damn good. Even Demen sounds fun on these so is the latest Ulcerate and we'll produced Gaerea's latest album. The best part is something more raw like Mulla' also sounds good because you can swap filters accordingly. If you can up your budget A7 is really good for metal.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #652 of 2,106
If you can up your budget A7 is really good for metal.

I already ordered the Believe! I'm coming from the KZ ZAX so the Believe will be a big step up and 150 dollars cheaper than the A7...and I'll admit that paying 300 for MMCX connectors turned me off a bit.

300USD is Sundara territory for me

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #653 of 2,106
Can anyone tell me few words on the fit and isolation with A7?
I think the fit is great, and should work for most people really well. I haven’t read complaints about their size/fit, with the exception that the nozzles are quite wide and long.

I consider the isolation to be well above average, and really quite good, and that’s w/o having tried any foam ear tips on the A7, which could provide even more isolation.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #654 of 2,106
I already ordered the Believe! I'm coming from the KZ ZAX so the Believe will be a big step up...
I think you will be very pleased with the Believe. It is the best single-DD IEM that I’ve heard for metal genres, thus far. While the imaging isn’t at the level of the NM2+, the transient attack speed and percussive characteristics suit metal really well, and the abundance of texture does as well. It’s main quality, IMHO, that makes it suit metal really well, is it’s ability to handle extremely loud and complex passages w/o compression. I think that is a real strength of beryllium-type drivers.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #655 of 2,106
I still have quite a bit more listening to do with the Fearless S8P, but right now, I think for me, there is roughly a 3 way tie for my favorite IEM that I’ve heard, for metal genres. The UM MEST, the LZ A7, and the Fearless S8P. I’m not able to declare a winner between these three ATM, but you can’t go wrong with any of them.
Seeing the A7 even up there with the MEST and the Fearless, at that price, makes it a winner.

Looking forward to the comparison. If there's another good deal on the A7 it'll be difficult to resist.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #656 of 2,106
I think you will be very pleased with the Believe. It is the best single-DD IEM that I’ve heard for metal genres, thus far. While the imaging isn’t at the level of the NM2+, the transient attack speed and percussive characteristics suit metal really well, and the abundance of texture does as well. It’s main quality, IMHO, that makes it suit metal really well, is it’s ability to handle extremely loud and complex passages w/o compression. I think that is a real strength of beryllium-type drivers.

I am listening to Believe now after 80 hours, it sounds wonderful, KZ ZAX is nothing compared to it...
I am on the fence for LZ A7, knowing how good Believe is.

One thing that love about BELIEVE, is that how it can handle very complicated track like Coldplay with alot of percussion, I can hear each of them clear and accordingly. It is INSANE in my opinion.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #657 of 2,106
Dec 18, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #659 of 2,106
For now I have few iems so I can't make many comparisons, but TRI I3 sounds really good in metal to me.

In the last 2-3 days I tried it with Nile, Hate Eternal, Emperor, Negura Bunget, Slayer and I don't remember what else.

It's amazing how easy it is to listen to and not tiring even with such heavy genres, I listened quietly for hours.

Perhaps it is also thanks to the truly huge soundstage, which distributes the sound with an extraordinary amplitude. It sounds truly epic.

I await for a cable with silver, if it just gives a touch of extra brilliance I will be really very satisfied.

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #660 of 2,106
I am listening to Believe now after 80 hours, it sounds wonderful, KZ ZAX is nothing compared to it...

KZ ZAX has turned into a regrettable purchase. They sound good with synthwave and some jazz... That's about it. Horrible tuning. The worst IEMs/cans I own. I have the Monoprice MP80s which have better tuning than the ZAX, even though they lack any refinement and can sound honky like a PA speaker horn. I compared them to everything I own and packed them up. At least the cable is nice. Starting to think a lot of the lower end stuff is being recommended by people who have not heard anything better, because these are supposedly the best tuned hybrids from KZ and they are not good. There are some albums they really sound good, so I know the drivers sound refined, it's the tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back