IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Dec 7, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #2,027 of 2,099
Prestige LTD is fantastic for rock and metal. That's what it does best for me.
It also is my most fun set for Pop and EDM.
For acoustic , orchestral and jazz i prefer others .
They do require a very good cable. The stock one is good but not good enough.

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,028 of 2,099
Prestige LTD is fantastic for rock and metal. That's what it does best for me.
It also is my most fun set for Pop and EDM.
For acoustic , orchestral and jazz i prefer others .
They do require a very good cable. The stock one is good but not good enough.

That's the thing. Everyone ears are different.

I don't know about the cables but thin, airy vocals don't sound great to me on LTDs. I don't think it's a matter of tuning, it's the timber.

Soundstage is quite, in comparison, narrow, which I prefer for some recordings especially 'older' metal recordings. It's not narrow per se but they keep everything 'in front' within 180 degrees.

I don't know.. LTDs sound correct, like truly correct in some cases, but for me the are not all around set.

Any EDM, alternative, non 'live ' instruments, I'd use something else

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #2,029 of 2,099
The PrestigeLTD 's stage is certainly not narrow.I find it more than wide enough,tall,very deep and quite holographic. If you compare it with a piezo IEM 's unnaturally wide stage....sure,maybe . If i compare it with the HE1000Stealth....any iem is very narrow.

I agree it's not the greatest all-arounder but it can do everything pretty well . I think FH9 and FH7 are more versatile...but for rock and metal they are brilliant.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #2,032 of 2,099
Hi folks,

Could you be kind enough to suggest some budget options is possible.

Any recommendations under $500 for metal/rock in general?

Thanks much!
Shuoer EJ07M works well for extreme metal. If you want slightly more neutral/warm look at EJ07. If you like good presence of treble chuck the OG EJ07 and look at EJ07M.
The OG EJ07 is one of my most favorite pair for anything death/black/doom/rock and what not!

Dec 10, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #2,033 of 2,099
Is the IE600 an Emu Teak as Iem? If yes i think I should try it because it could match with this type of music, especially if you use Hifiman as an over ear. I think for people with smaller ears who want a fun sound signature there is no other alternative or what do you mean?

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,034 of 2,099
I got the mk 3... they don't have anger on the guitars, money is wasted. Dorado 2020 is much more interesting at medium frequencies, MORE AGGRESSIVE, heavier. Source LPG 2017
maybe the bundle is unsuccessful, it's sad ((((

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #2,035 of 2,099
ok so after a several addtionnal hours of reviews perusal, I decided on the ER2XR (seems to have more bass than the ER4XR). It's not very expensive, worth a try, readily available. Worst case, it will be a good backup and I'll figure out a way to get another N3.

Thanks a lot everyone especially @RikudouGoku for your all your answers, help and recommendations!

Well just an update. After 3 months of usage, one of the ER2XR completely lost volume. Sending them back now... I liked them ok but was not exactly super comfortable either. Also probably the stock tips were slightly too small for my ears, they would come out after 10 minutes.

Anyway, bought an open box N3 from ebay. Back to square one!

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #2,036 of 2,099
I got the mk 3... they don't have anger on the guitars, money is wasted. Dorado 2020 is much more interesting at medium frequencies, MORE AGGRESSIVE, heavier. Source LPG 2017
maybe the bundle is unsuccessful, it's sad ((((
I would say exactly the opposite 🤣 (but different source)

There is not more subjective and personal hobby/passion than this

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #2,038 of 2,099
Hello fellow metalheads! I need suggestions for iems for metal. I will most likely use a topping d10s + schiit magni 3+ combo with desktop EQ or just a qudelix 5k outside.

I listen to pretty much everything rock and metal but mainly death metal stuff like black dahlia murder or bolt thrower, black/folk stuff like Wintersun/Ensiferum/Finntroll, lots of Rotting Christ but also Ghost, Sleep Token, Parkway Drive etc. I need something fast to accurately reproduce percussion (love me some Jazz Sabbath as well), definitely a little bassy BUT I want to be able to feel the kick drum hit me in the face (spoiled by my LCD-2C), so I guess I want something that is able to shine around 60-100 hz without bleeding into the mids.

My top two contenders are the iSine 20 which I can get used for around 280 euros (NO cipher cable) and the Timeless AE which I can get new for around 220 euros. I know the iSine has that wonky FR without the cipher but I don't mind EQing and many people say once EQ'd it sounds really good. I'm looking at planars because I need the speed and I love my 2C and my Sundaras but I may be wrong? Oh also budget limit is 300€. Any other suggestions are of course welcome! Thank in advance!!

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #2,039 of 2,099
Hello fellow metalheads! I need suggestions for iems for metal. I will most likely use a topping d10s + schiit magni 3+ combo with desktop EQ or just a qudelix 5k outside.

I listen to pretty much everything rock and metal but mainly death metal stuff like black dahlia murder or bolt thrower, black/folk stuff like Wintersun/Ensiferum/Finntroll, lots of Rotting Christ but also Ghost, Sleep Token, Parkway Drive etc. I need something fast to accurately reproduce percussion (love me some Jazz Sabbath as well), definitely a little bassy BUT I want to be able to feel the kick drum hit me in the face (spoiled by my LCD-2C), so I guess I want something that is able to shine around 60-100 hz without bleeding into the mids.

My top two contenders are the iSine 20 which I can get used for around 280 euros (NO cipher cable) and the Timeless AE which I can get new for around 220 euros. I know the iSine has that wonky FR without the cipher but I don't mind EQing and many people say once EQ'd it sounds really good. I'm looking at planars because I need the speed and I love my 2C and my Sundaras but I may be wrong? Oh also budget limit is 300€. Any other suggestions are of course welcome! Thank in advance!!
The iSine's are awesome if you can deal with the fit, I've owned and sold the 10's, 20', i3's, and i4's, i4's 3 times, because I enjoy them so much but they fit horrible. Also, don't expect to be very mobile with them in because fit. Personally don't like the OG Timeless but I can't speak for the AE's.

I don't have much experience with IEM's in the $300 price range so I can't give much in the way of recommendations but I will say that I vastly prefer the physicality of a dynamic driver when it comes to metal. "Speed" is mainly a byproduct of frequency response so I really like to lean into DD's and EQ for that oomph. The 20's are awesome, but I wouldn't have them as my only pair of IEM's, especially if you plan to use them on the move.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #2,040 of 2,099
The iSine's are awesome if you can deal with the fit, I've owned and sold the 10's, 20', i3's, and i4's, i4's 3 times, because I enjoy them so much but they fit horrible. Also, don't expect to be very mobile with them in because fit. Personally don't like the OG Timeless but I can't speak for the AE's.

I don't have much experience with IEM's in the $300 price range so I can't give much in the way of recommendations but I will say that I vastly prefer the physicality of a dynamic driver when it comes to metal. "Speed" is mainly a byproduct of frequency response so I really like to lean into DD's and EQ for that oomph. The 20's are awesome, but I wouldn't have them as my only pair of IEM's, especially if you plan to use them on the move.
Thanks so much for the reply! I plan to use them at the office and maybe for traveling so that I don't have to pack the big planars. For general use on the move I use my AP2. I hear you about the fit, maybe I can look into changing the tips.

How's the sound leaking on the 20s? Is it as bad as full size open back headphones? Also would the PEQ on the qudelix 5K be enough to "fix" the FR, seeing as I'll be buying them without the cipher cable. Thanks again for the info, maybe I'll have to look a bit more into DD's, I have the FH3 but almost never listen to them because I hated the treble spikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back