IEM for a Masochist?
Oct 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Boffy

Head-Fier
So, this is pretty embarrassing and strange but I will say it anyways. I love bright treble and high frequency sound. Even when I use bright headphones or earphones, such as AKG K812, Sony EX1000, or Hidition New Tears 6, I increase the treble with EQ. Crazy stuff, but it gets even more crazier. I listen to a lot of poorly mastered and compressed music files. There are 128 kbps Jpop audio files in my collection, that have sibilant female vocals listening through $2 Samsung Earbuds that have dark and veiled treble. Now, this is the craziest part. I love this ear-piercing and screaming into a metal bucket-like sound. No seriously, I listen to 128 kbps Jpop with AKG K812 with high boost EQ at a pretty high volume, and I like it. I guess I am a masochist.

The problem is, after listening for good few hours I get an extreme headache and I get nauseous. Thankfully, it goes away after a few minutes of lying down, but I am wondering if this is going to ruin my health. Will fatiguing my ears like this potentially cause a serious damage to my body? If so, I am wondering if there is any headphone in the market that is going to satisfy my sound preference without hurting myself. I have never seen or heard of a person with a sound preference anywhere close to mine. 

P.S

I apologize if this was not an appropriate place to post this. I just didn't know where to post lol.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 7

The problem is, after listening for good few hours I get an extreme headache and I get nauseous. Thankfully, it goes away after a few minutes of lying down, but I am wondering if this is going to ruin my health. Will fatiguing my ears like this potentially cause a serious damage to my body? If so, I am wondering if there is any headphone in the market that is going to satisfy my sound preference without hurting myself. I have never seen or heard of a person with a sound preference anywhere close to mine. 

P.S

I apologize if this was not an appropriate place to post this. I just didn't know where to post lol.

Well... discomfort is usually your body's way of telling you to stahp. I doubt it'll harm you in the long term unless the volume is too loud, but I'm no doctor... :p CIEM maybe? :p

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 7
I did notice you mention pretty high volume. So depending on sensitivity of your headphones, you might not be able to enjoy it long if you keep that up.

Stereocilia (along with the entirety of the hair cell) in mammals can be damaged or destroyed by excessive loud noises, disease, and toxins and are not regenerable.[4] Environmental noise induced hearing impairment is probably the most prevalent noise health effect according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Abnormal structure/organization of a bundle of stereocilia can also cause deafness and in turn create balance problems for an individual.

So yeah the nausea could be related to that.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 7
I know how you feel sometimes- my advice: dress up, go out to a club and get drunk with insane music.

I find that speakers are very good for drowning everything out.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Hope when you say you like it, you don't mean the sort of in your pants feeling.... 

You know just that bit about ear piercing and screaming reminds me of an ex of mine lol.

In all seriousness best not to kill your hearing the high freq hearing is the easiest to damage. And if you get physically sick that's a pretty good sign you should cut it out.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 7
  So, this is pretty embarrassing and strange but I will say it anyways.

Please see an audiologist and have a full hearing test to see what hearing damage you've inflicted on yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back