IEM Failure Rate (Specifically iM-590)... Input Needed
May 24, 2010 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

OpticElement

Head-Fier
Hey guys, looking for some feedback.

My main go to IEMs for the past while have been iM-590s. However, my first pair failed on me within 6 months of purchase. Sent them away to be replaced, and now the second pair has died (after 5 months). They both failed due to a faulty jack connection, i.e., one channel went dead. I treat my IEMs well, never wrapping them around my MP3 player, storing them in the cases provided, etc.

I'm looking for anyone's opinion or story on how long their IEMs typically last. Specifically if anyone owns or did own a pair of iM-590s it would be good to compare. I'm wondering if this is a normal amount of time for IEMs to last, or I should move on to a different pair of IEMs. I would prefer not to since they perform exactly as I want; blocking out the right amount of noise, giving out good SQ for a reasonable price, and having a good accessory kit that came with the headphones... Oh right, the only problem is they die quickly 
angry_face.gif

Thanks for your input!

May 24, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 10
Hey Now,

I treat my Ety ER4Ps with gusto. I wear them regularly on the tractor for hours on end. I have had them ripped out of my ears by low hanging branches while cutting the pasture, quite often actually! I usually tuck them under safety glasses temple's and wrap around my ear, but the loop sticks out some. They have survived very well for the last nine years of abusership, I have only had to replace the cable once in 9 years at the 7 year mark. It does hurt a little when they get ripped out unexpectedly, but they are the best at sound isolation, so I love them on the tractor.

Mine have been as tough as nails. YMMV 
wink_face.gif

--
Finest kind,
Chris

May 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 10
OpticElement, sorry to hear you are having this problem. The cable and connector are a known issue, and have recently been upgraded. Please submit an RMA request, and we should be able to get you a better one!

May 30, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Glad I ran across this thread... I see A LOT of complaints about the Maximo iM-590's and iP-HS5's durability amongst Amazon reviews, I'm very interested in the product but that's cause for concern. I'd like to know what the warranty period on them is.

Personally, I've had a set of Sennheiser CX300 for four years and they're still as good as new. I've had 'em yanked out a handful of times and my book bag has fallen on them a couple of times (when it topples over, since I keep 'em in the front pocket of the bag) but they're no worse for wear. I usually keep 'em in a nylon pouch (or a jacket pocket for brief periods). I've also had a set of JVC HA-FX34 Marshmallows for about 4 months and I've been using them for exercise, I usually run about 3-5 miles 2-3 times a week with them, the soft foamy tips are still in good shape and they don't seem to be deteriorating despite the small amount of sweat they're exposed to. I don't expect them to last forever under those conditions but they've held up well (I actually got 'em at an airport during a trip when I left my CX300 behind at home).

A decent pair of IEMs should last more than a handful of months imo... If Maximo stands well behind their product and will actually correct flaws in a line that's a good sign. I don't expect every product to be perfect, I just expect the company to stand behind it. If you could let me know what the warranty period on them is I'd be very thankful!

Jun 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 10
Hey, Impulse. Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification someone posted. There's a lifetime warranty on them. Interesting how many people cite this problem. The new design of the end of the headphone looks much better, so I'm hoping it will last longer.

I also have a pair of marshmallows I use as my secondary pair (for this exact situation :p). How are your CX-300s? What type of music do you listen to and what kind of isolation/fit do you get?

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 10
I ended up getting the MEElec M9P because of durability concerns on the Maximos, price (got 'em for $22 during a special, tough to beat), and the fact that the cord on these was highly praised for it's lack of microphonics. It's a pretty nice step up in sound quality from what I was used to with my CX300 and JVC HA-FX34s, which I'm still using for exercise. Those JVC have held up well even with some light exposure to rain, and I do like the foam tips better for exercise.

Anyway I got the M9P for traveling and for use w/my HTC EVO Android phone, mic works great, the variety of tips they come with is nice (I'm digging the double flanges), and the case is sweet. I get a pretty good seal w/either sort of tip, slightly better w/the double flanges obviously, but I've never had trouble getting a good seal w/any of the IEMs I've had to be honest. With the double flanges I actually have to play with them a bit more when inserting them, particularly on the left ear, not sure why, but it's not a big deal.

Pretty happy with them so far, we'll see how they hold up, I think the warranty on 'em is only 1 year but I hear MEElec has pretty good service. My sister just got a pair as well and she's rougher on 'em so if they're at all fragile I'll know before long, heh.

I listen to all sorts of music, rock, country, techno, latin stuff... Bass on the MEElec's seems much more controlled than the Senn CX300, and they're more detailed, beyond that I'm not sure I can say much... I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do like their sound better. :p I just enjoy reading audiophile's recommendations to find a good value! :wink:

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 10
two pairs of direct head re0 failed on me in five months

both times the right earpiece magically stopped working..

also my first go at a quality iem (quality hahaha)

next i'll try eterna rev2 or visang r03... hoping they don't break on me two times in a row....

one thing i'm sure of, i'm staying away from the re0's

some of us just don't want to spend money on shipping rma products over and over again just because the manufacturer keeps sending me faulty earphones, so up theirs

Jul 31, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 10
If you've ever heard of V-moda Vibes, the 1st gen, I owned a pair of those. They were bashed for having horrible build quality; total lack of strain relief, bad microphonics, poor cable in general. Bought em when they were new and had em for years until they pretty much fell apart, then glued em back together till they fell apart so bad they needed to be recabled. No issues before then, and I wasn't careful with them either. If those took that long to bite the dust, and they're supposed to break at the drop of a hat...there's no reason any headphone above $100 shouldn't be a solid product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back