IEM/earphones with controls and mic which work with HTC Desire
Aug 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jelte12345

New Head-Fier
At the moment I'm using the stock earphones from the HTC Desire and I'm looking for a decent upgrade.
The controls (previous, play/pause/pickup phone, next) and a mic are a must.
At best I would want an IEM, but I'll settle for earphones if they have better sound quality.
Of course I have a budget, the maximum I'm willing to spend is 60$ inc shipping (i live in the netherlands so if theyre not sold here shipping is a probably a serious part of the costs)
If anyone if you knows if ears with iphone controls also have the functions i mentioned on the HTC Desire then I'd like to know that too (also if they are not).
HUGE EDIT:
I would like some advise on buying IEM's which have a mic and a play/pause/pickup button.
only the play/pause/pickup phone button has to work because i found a great app  called droidshuffle which can recognise double and triple clicks.
I have two questions:
1. does every play/pause/pickup button work in the same way or would some of them not be compatible or only have the pickup function or something?
Edit 2: found the answer to the first question myself, android only works with ears that have only one button, not the newer iphone ones with the the volume buttons. (http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/40896-apple-hands-free-set-motorola-droid.html#post323987)
2. what are good IEM's for under $90 with a mic and one button (no volume buttons!!!)?

thanks in advance
PS i want to spend max €50, so $90 is a more then i want to spend, but on cheap sites i found UE metrofi 220vi for only €35 (seemed good and according to violinvirtuoso the button should work can anyone confirm). so please also give advise in lower price segments than $90, maybe i can find good deals.

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 7
The HS-U350 audio adapter cable from HTC has a microphone, a single control button and a headphone jack so that you can use your own phones. I have this for my Nexus One, the button does play/pause when you click once, and skip forward when you click twice. There seems to be no reverse, clicking three times does not work. Keeping it pressed it for a while does... well, something, I haven't quite figured it out yet - sometimes it seems to skip to the next album. As the Desire and the Nexus One are siblings, I suppose it works the same on the Desire.

I use mine with the short-cabled Sony EX500, because you get a lot of cable otherwise. But I don't use it often, I found the whole package a bit awkward as a DAP - the screen is bad in the sun, sound is so-so, no good controls, poor battery life.

Music-oriented Bluetooth headsets apparently offer better controls, including volume, but then you have all the Bluetooth-related hassle, of course.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
The Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170vi has a play/pause/pickup button and a mic. 

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/metrofi-170vi

the170vi dont have a next button right? because thats really a must, previous button is handy, but not really needed
but i

Quote:
If all else fails, you could recable a pair of JVC Marshmallows with those buttons.

can I just cut of the cable of my HTC earphones and put them on any other headphones? if so, thats a handy alternative when i cant find anything with the buttons

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 7
This thread may be of interest. Not sure what sort of sound you're looking for but the MetroFi 220 is pretty mediocre if your budget stretches to $90. You should be able to get a SuperFi 5vi for that much. The Meelectronics M6P/M11P+ may be worth looking into as well. They aren't on that list since they're both quite new.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 7
I bought the 220vi's because i was able to get a hold of them at €35 (~$45) and I wasn't able to get meelecs here and I didn't want to import because that costs a lot extra and these were cheaper already. (Not a good argument, but I don't like how meelecs look)
thanks anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back