IEM Driver Failure (Ultimate Ears Triple Fi Vi 10)
Sep 12, 2010 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IllidanStR

New Head-Fier
I'm used to jack failure on headphones, but my ~8-month old Ultimate Ears just stopped producing all but some very light, tinny sound from the left earpiece with no jack failure symptoms (wiggling the jack doesn't make it go on-off).  

I'm wondering if the bass driver died.  What.  Hopefully they'll replace it under warranty, but I'm afraid of it dying again!  Could anything I did could have contributed to the failure? 

(Edit: the left is now back up in volume somewhat, but not up to the level of the right.  Tested with both computer and mp3 player.  I'm really confused..)

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 5
Very unlikely three BA driver fail in the same time. It could be the crossover but it is still likely to be a cable failure.There is some tests you can do but it requires a little skill and patience. First test is to press the button on the vi cable (as if you are answering call) while playing music, see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't help, the second test requires you to unplug the cable from both earpiece very carefully (slowly), then plug the right side cable connector to the left earpiece in reversed pins  (the "R" mark facing outward instead of inward). This is similar to what we call 'flip flop mod' in the forum . If it is indeed the earpiece that has problem, it will still sounds light and tinny. If the earpiece sounds fine, then the problem lies on the cable.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Very unlikely three BA driver fail in the same time. It could be the crossover but it is still likely to be a cable failure.There is some tests you can do but it requires a little skill and patience. First test is to press the button on the vi cable (as if you are answering call) while playing music, see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't help, the second test requires you to unplug the cable from both earpiece very carefully (slowly), then plug the right side cable connector to the left earpiece in reversed pins  (the "R" mark facing outward instead of inward). This is similar to what we call 'flip flop mod' in the forum . If it is indeed the earpiece that has problem, it will still sounds light and tinny. If the earpiece sounds fine, then the problem lies on the cable.

Thanks.  Strangely enough, it's working fully now.  I'm saving your post in case the problem reoccurs.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 5
Sounds like your on your way to getting a new cable..

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Sounds like your on your way to getting a new cable..

I'm happy with that as long as the driver doesn't fail just after the warranty period expires.  

$30 for a cable is a small price for the delight of these.  $300 for a new set from Amazon.. notsomuch, I got in on the $90 Amazon deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back