IEM Choices poll
Jun 5, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #33 of 47
There is no RE2 because until about 4 posts ago, that thread was over a year old...

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:
Etymotic ER6i or the Shure SE310's in that price bracket.

(sorry if this has already been posted. I tried searching)

How is the sound of the SE310's compared with the ER6i's?

I've had 6i's in the past. Good sound (although lacking in bass punch), love the amount of noise-isolation but the build quality sucks incredibly. First set died. Replacement set broke (connector failed), got it repaired and then these became terminally ill too.

So I'm thinking of replacing them with some SE310's which are on special. The RRP of the SE310's is actually $50 more than the ER6i's, does this mean they are a better headphone?

The main goal for me is noise isolation, and I must have strange shaped ear canals(!) because I have tried a few models and only the ones with small drivers fit me well. If I can get something reliable that has similar isolation and decent sound quality compared with the ER6i, this would be perfect.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #39 of 47
After a bit more research, I'm thinking the Klipsch S4's. (although I finding it strange that the S4's are generally preferred over the SE310's even though the Shure's RRP is 3 times as much)

Thanks Frederick for the suggestions. Here's what I found (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Future Sonic Atrio: US$340, I'll stick to sub $100 IEMs for the moment
Head-Direct RE0: Very tempting. Seems to be more accurate (like the ER6i's) but less bass and maybe a bit less isolation. I'm worried about larger headphones not fitting properly which is a drawback of the RE0's.
Sennheiser IE7: (RRP$300, but they're on Ebay new for US$30. Surely not genuine?) Again, worried that they might be too big for me.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #40 of 47
FS Atrios cost $179 new and should go for around $120 used in mint condition: http://www.soundearphones.com/shop/brands/future-sonics/  <--- not the cheapest retailer online with a decent reputation.
IE7s are $300 from new, some times less which means you might be able to get them for around your budget.

The RE0s are marginally bigger than the ER6is, and they have more bass than the ER6s if used with a decent DAP or amplifier, plus they sound way better overall. The only thing that is annoying with the RE0s is the cable dampener on the earphones which is a bit long and might rub against the outer portion of your ears. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #41 of 47
Honestly, I had the Klipsch S4s and returned them after about a week because it was just terrible. I've never been so disappointed in a audio product before, especially considering the rave CNET reviews it received.

I'd just go for the Hippo VBs.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:
FS Atrios cost $179 new and should go for around $120 used in mint condition: http://www.soundearphones.com/shop/brands/future-sonics/  <--- not the cheapest retailer online with a decent reputation.
IE7s are $300 from new, some times less which means you might be able to get them for around your budget.

The RE0s are marginally bigger than the ER6is, and they have more bass than the ER6s if used with a decent DAP or amplifier, plus they sound way better overall. The only thing that is annoying with the RE0s is the cable dampener on the earphones which is a bit long and might rub against the outer portion of your ears. 

Thanks, yeah I'm keen on the Atrios but can't find them used online. Can you suggest any places please?

@thenightman: thanks for the tip. Unfortunately for the Hippo VBs, I'm after a small design to make sure they fit properly.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #45 of 47

Quote:
Shure SE210 although I would recommend upping your budget alittle and getting E4C

Shure is completely outmatched in the $150 and under group by the compettion IMHO.

Why aren't the DBA-02's being discussed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back