IEM Choices poll
May 18, 2007 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

MusicallySilent

500+ Head-Fier
What IEM should i get could you please post a reccomendation...

I dont want to spend over 150 and i am even somewhat hesitant about over 100 My limit is 150 maybe a bit more or less for a great phone

Edit: Classical, Country, Light rock (no metal), Opera (Andrea Bocelli), Rock Classical (Rock music played on classical instruments Bond Apocalyptica (its kinda like metal i just dont like the screaming and whatnot) and the like), Instrumental Music, Soundtracks, No: Rap or metal (Bass is important to me)

Driving on Ipod, dvd player, and comp might get an amp of somesort that is cheap
MS

May 18, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 47
er6i are nice, but a bit shy on the bass when powered from an ipod - if you have an amp they have nice bass, but then you might wanna get a more expensive earphone, like e500 or wait for Westone 3. You shouldn't get the er6.

May 18, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 47
What is so bad about the er6? if i need to i might get a cmoy amp or some self built or maybe a minibox d or ibasso t1

I really cant spend the money on a e500 or westone 3

May 18, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 47
Afaik the er6 is effectively made obsolete by the er6i, I dont remember the exact differences but I seem to recall way back when er6i was released that it was a pretty big improvement over what many considered a shrill sound from the er6.

May 18, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 47
I think you would be very happy with a pair of super.fi 5 pros. You can probably pick up a pair from someone on the FS forum who has recently had theirs replaced by UE for around 150 or less.

I had the super.fi 5 pros (unamped) for about 2 years and I was very happy with them. I did a head to head comparison between the SF5Ps and E4Cs and I preferred the super.fi's hands down. The Shures just sounded flat to me...no soundstage and no bass response (even coming out of my tomahawk)

-Clay

May 18, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 47
The ER6is have markedly deficient bass, better than the ER6, but still less than anyone might want. Plus Etymotics makes you buy filters plus sleeves which adds up to considerable after purcahse costs. The ER6is also have flimsy wires that tend to stiffen into ungainly shapes over time. Finally, the really deep ear canal insertion needed to get decent sound on these is just unpleasant and increases wax cleaning downtime and discomfort in long periods of use.

Frankly, the IEM market has progressed way beyond Etymotics ability to compete with either of their current models. Get something by Ultimate Ears (the Fi 3 is roughly the same price as the ER6i) or Shure (the SE210 is excellent, but costs $150). The UE Fi 5 is a really great choice, maybe the best earphone under $300, but sells for $190, which may be beyond your budget. The SE210 is less visible in the ear and has a more neutral presentation, but the Fi 5 has excellent balanced and noticeable bass.

Any of these three phones (Shure 210, UE Fi 3 or 5) will offer better more balanced sound, more user comfort and durability, and less ongoing cost of ownership. I've heard good things about DJays phones too but do not personally own any.

May 18, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 47
Maybe you should check out the thread on the Crossroads Mylar X3, got my pair about a week ago and have been listening to them ever since. I'd say they're a tremendous value for the money. I think they were $59.00 shipped. Very in your face, musical sound. If you're looking for cold calculated detail, I don't think they're the pair for you, but if you just want something you can really enjoy your music with, I've found them to be ideal.

May 18, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by damballah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should check out the thread on the Crossroads Mylar X3, got my pair about a week ago and have been listening to them ever since. I'd say they're a tremendous value for the money. I think they were $59.00 shipped. Very in your face, musical sound. If you're looking for cold calculated detail, I don't think they're the pair for you, but if you just want something you can really enjoy your music with, I've found them to be ideal.

x2... add to your search the jays d-jays. IMHO the d-jays are more detail revealing than most on your list except possibly the ER6.

May 18, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 47
I started my iem journey with the ER-6i which I use now for yard work isolates from the leaf blower, weedwacker,lawnmower. I see your budget and my experience (see profile) is UE SF5P is worth the sacrifice as well as the Shure E4c. In the long run your wallet will forgive you
wink.gif

May 18, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atrio m5 (line of 130)

X2. The MSRP is a little higher than your prefered price limit, but I've read about people finding them for about $130. The Future Sonics Atrio m5 has much better treble response and soundstage than the older model EM3 or FS1, but still provides superb bass, better than most other IEMs.

The Etymotics can be nice for classical and jazz if you like loads of details, but they are very bass-deficient. My Atrio m5 does just as well with the high end as my Etymotics ER6, but also provides a warm, realistic low-end. They sound wonderful with classical. Again, the ER6 has NO BASS. I wanted to love them when I bought them, but consistently found the bass lacking. I'd gladly sell my ER6, but I really wouldn't recommend them to anyone who likes any warmth from their headphones. The ER6 are all about the details.

-Packgrog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back