IE80 vs FX700 vs Ortofon e-Q7
Jan 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

InearConfusion

New Head-Fier
I mainly listen to blues, rock, rap and some classical - run on an iPhone 4 and don't mind buying an amp/dac if necessary. 

Ive been using atrio m5's and klipsch x10's and are looking for a more rich, full natural sound (I'm a noob so don't really know all the terms). 

Is an amp/dac necessary for these iem's?

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 12
I mainly listen to blues, rock, rap and some classical - run on an iPhone 4 and don't mind buying an amp/dac if necessary

It isn't.

Ive been using atrio m5's and klipsch x10's and are looking for a more rich, full natural sound (I'm a noob so don't really know all the terms). 

Coming from the M5 and X10, it sounds to me like the FX700/IE80 are your best bets. The e-Q7, comparatively speaking, won't offer as powerful bass as you're used to already with the M5 or X10. On the other hand, if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of bass impact, the e-Q7 is as great an option as any. Between the FX700 and IE80, where a more rich, full and natural sound is concerned, you won't find better than the FX700, though they're both great contenders. I'd first and foremost recommend the FX700 however, with the IE80's being a very close second, followed by the e-Q7 for a very natural sound, albeit not nearly as bass heavy as any of the aforementioned. If, for instance, you're particularly concerned with the midrange, you may find the FX700 lacking midrange presence, in which case the e-Q7 would also be worth considering. However, the FX700 is impossibly crisp, full and natural sounding, and in your shoes, I wouldn't look back, my friend. 
smile.gif

Is an amp/dac necessary for these iem's?

Necessary? Absolutely not. Would it offer an improvement? To variable degrees, yes. But in the end, only you can truly justify whether or not said improvement are worth the cost. My advice? Listen to them directly through your iPhone 4 first, which is regarded as a good source I might add. Then, go from there.

P.S. Love the username. 
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 12
The JVC FX700 shares similarities in soundsignature with Image X10 and both are warm rich sounding with weighty bass. But JVC FX700 are little bright than X10 and sound so natural with deep reverbing dynamic bass and wider soundstage(include more details in mids highs than X10). The Sennheiser IE80 are more dynamic and offers wide out of head soundstage and shows great details in mids highs and serve more genres music because FX700 has signature JVC warm wood natural soundsgnature.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for your reply- I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the FX's, it just worries me that I have to buy them with no warranty/ suppport in the US (especially when spending ~$360).

When discussing Amp/dac's with another head-fi'er they turned me onto the UHA-4 which lead me to the 1964- Q's.  I had no idea that you could get a pair of customs for ~500, and having read reviews , they seem pretty solid.

What is the main difference between the sound in an FX vs a Q or T.   Is it more "cold" clinical? 

Does the openness of the FX really allow sound in (I commute on train/subway so I prefer more isolation to less).

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
What is the main difference between the sound in an FX vs a Q or T.   Is it more "cold" clinical? 

Does the openness of the FX really allow sound in (I commute on train/subway so I prefer more isolation to less).

I can answer the second question. If you prefer more isolation to less, the FX700 isn't all too practical for your intents and purposes. As per your first question, I'd try asking in the respective 1964 threads. As far as entry/mid level customs are concerned, there are also other options worth considering
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 12
WOW- that is an absolutely dizzying list!!  I'm in way over my head!

Do the FX's really allow that much noise?  I typically use comply foam tips that make a pretty airtight seal-  is the back of the phone really that open (I mean it's so small)? 

Are the IE80's much better at blocking outside sound?  I've never had an issue with my M5's or X10's (both with comply tips)

Do you know if the cables are replaceable on the FX's?

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
WOW- that is an absolutely dizzying list!!  I'm in way over my head!

Do the FX's really allow that much noise?  I typically use comply foam tips that make a pretty airtight seal-  is the back of the phone really that open (I mean it's so small)? 

Are the IE80's much better at blocking outside sound?  I've never had an issue with my M5's or X10's (both with comply tips)

Do you know if the cables are replaceable on the FX's?

Isolation is more important to others than myself, so take my comments with a grain of salt...

I find the FX700 to isolate about 80 to 85% of typical universals, which was always good enough for me with the music going.  I would still miss the office phone ringing directly in front of my face.  Your M5's were some of the best isolating vented dynamic drivers out there and isolate as good as closed dynamics and most BA universals.

If isolation is a top priority to you, then yeah maybe skip them but you will be missing out on a pretty special sound.

Edit: FX700 cables are not replaceable, except below the split.  It comes with an extension that is really long, so most of use bought shorter extensions from Shure or UE to go with them.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for your replies and I think I'm still going to go with the 700's -  they seem too good to pass up.

I'm in awe over that list of Customs and it still amazes me the sheer volume of quality IEM/ customs that are out there.  This is an expensive habit!!

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for your replies and I think I'm still going to go with the 700's -  they seem too good to pass up.

They are. 
wink.gif

I'm in awe over that list of Customs and it still amazes me the sheer volume of quality IEM/ customs that are out there.  This is an expensive habit!!

Run! Run while you can, and bring back help of the rest of us! Godspeed! 

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Just got my FX700's and see that the tips are larger than my x10's and m5's-  Does anyone know if the comply T-400's fit on these?
It's hard to find the info as these aren't really around in the US-

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back