ie80 or heir audio
Jul 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 15
My vote goes in favor of the Heir. Better isolation, and the IE80 didn't seem to be super. Also, pretty.

On the other hand, it depends if you are willing to deal with molds and waiting for the customs to be made.

If you decide that you want universals, I would recommend the EX1000 over the IE80.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 15
How would you compare the heir with an IE8(yes an ie8 not 80 like my previous question) with a custom molded tip?

I'm currently waiting on a pair of ie8s I picked up on eBay. So as usual with eBay I have my doubts about their authenticity. If they turn out to be fake I really don't know what it is I should purchase. But I really would like it to be of high quality and around $300

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 15
I have no experience with custom molded tips, so someone else will need to answer that question. Just a note, after factoring the cost for impressions, the custom Heirs will probably run closer to $400 to $450. 

Best of luck with the IE8. I know there have been many fakes online.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
How would you compare the heir with an IE8(yes an ie8 not 80 like my previous question) with a custom molded tip?
I'm currently waiting on a pair of ie8s I picked up on eBay. So as usual with eBay I have my doubts about their authenticity. If they turn out to be fake I really don't know what it is I should purchase. But I really would like it to be of high quality and around $300

The entry level Heirs are more on the neutral side (4A). The IE80s are more on the fun side. If you wanted a Heir model that is more on the fun side you would have to opt for the 8A. What do you care more about? Musicality or Neutrality. The IE80 would be more musical while the 4A would be more analytical and detailed. The EX1000 on the other hand is more on the neutral side of things besides the emphasis on its treble. Most people don't have issues with the EX1000. However, I was one of the few here on headfi who had major sibilance issues with them. They were garbage to my ears, YMWV.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 15
Good post above. A fun universal would be the FX700, but many have preferred the neutral signature of the EX1000, which, unfortunately, is being discontinued.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 15
Well I really enjoy listening a lot or Norah jones so I'm looking for a headphone that really brings the music to life. I used to own a pair of sennheiser 598s howver aside from the portability issues I felt they were very light on the low end. Judging by what I've read my ears didn't deceive me and they do lack in bass.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 15
Then you may really enjoy the IE80s. They are similar in sound signature to the HD650s but they have more bass and are more fun sounding. The sound staging is that of a full size headphone as well. If you want information on how to get the IE80s at a significant price off from full MSRP PM me and I'll provide you the info.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 15
What I meant by entry level is that is is among the cheaper options of your product line. Not that it isn't a good product.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
What I meant by entry level is that is is among the cheaper options of your product line. Not that it isn't a good product.

Which is why John brought up the AI series.  There is no need for impressions and next month they will be shipping from the US.  With a standard ciem removable cable and the superior sq I don't think you can go wrong for the price.  

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #15 of 15
hey! if ur still deciding between the two...having the 3.Ai, which is fairly similar sounding (Sorta) to the IE80s, and at a lower price point, I'd give my thumbs up to the 3.Ai. I'd say its better than the IE80s =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back