IE8 with ipod classic 80gb?
May 16, 2010 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jmstrmbn

100+ Head-Fier
How do they sound with the ipod, i've heard that ipods are a fairly average source.  Do the IE8s display its weaknesses or does it provide a great sound despite the setbacks? Btw i use the line out and most of the music i listen to is lossless or at least 320 mp3s. Thanks in advance for the opinions.
smile_phones.gif

May 16, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 11
You're right - the iPod is a fairly average source, even via line-out with an amp. I think the IE8 brings the best out of the iPod but don't expect it to come close to the sound quality from a better source; there's a price to pay for convenience.

May 16, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 11
you mean an ipod video? the 5G well 5.5G if you got an 80

if so then yeah the IE8 will show up the hp out limitations but not that it will sound horrid but should or rather when you move up to using the line out and an amp you will see what you were missing.  till then really you wont know what it is your missing so you will be perfectly content.

btw i think the icon mobile goes really well with the IE8

May 17, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 11
i have an LOD now and the fiio e5 however after looking around i came across the imods is this worth the money or is the difference negliable? How would this compare to only buying the ie8s?

May 17, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 11
i dont have an imod but im going to say no.  i dont know if its true but i cant seethat cost reeping terribly much in the way of reward.

what would make a big diff to you i a better amp, id suggest the icon mobile.  it goes really well with the IE8 and its pretty cheap.  the FiiO is a little wonder given its uber cheapness but for something like the IE8 it just doent help at all.  (really arent going to use the bass bost are you?)  so if you wallet can take it and IE8 and icon mobile.  if not get the IE8 use the hp out (you will be happy with it i can assure you) then when wallet allows add an icon.

May 17, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 11
I love my IE8's straight out of the iPod Touch HP out.  I haven't heard them through a portable amp yet, and I'm not sure I ever will.  I like to be truly portable and the less I have to carry the better.  If anything, I adjust the EQ setting on my touch to suit my needs.  I'm not a purist, I like to EQ my music.  I bounce between the Acoustic, Loudness and treble boost settings depending on what I'm listening to and what I want to hear.  I'm quite content with my portable setup.. for now :) 

May 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 11
My mobile setup is an iPod Video 80GB>HP out>IE8, and it drives them perfectly fine, granted you are not in too loud of an environment. 

The Line Out sounds a little bright to me, compared with the HP out, but that's just my experience.

With most music, I get a nice, tube-like, analogue sound with the IE8 and just the iPod. I enjoy it, personally, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

May 17, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 11
i think im going to step it down to the ie7s and get a headstage arrow with it from what i've read the ie8s are nice but the ie7s are virtually the same with a smaller sound stage and no mid bass hump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back