IE8 mid bass hump
Oct 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nanashi

100+ Head-Fier
Curious as to what exactly is the "mid-bass hump?"

I hear much about it, tried searching the forums but I think its used so much I couldn't find a definitive answer between
all the threads for it and all.

I've read that you can EQ it out.I do notice some difference when I mess with the J3's or any EQ for that matter, around the "middle" frequencies. Things seem are a little bit more defined but not to the point where I completely fall in love. Honestly feel like its there, just need to tweak it a tad more. 

Any J3 owners with IE8's want to chime in?

Any quick EQing tips would be a blessing.

Thanks in adv.

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks man,
This actually helps quite a bit to help clear out some of the muddyness. Didn't have 100Hz as an option on the J3 so I went with the closest, 105Hz.

I'm most likely going to get custom tips though because I honestly think tthe Comply T400's is what's  limiting me with these things right now. Again, not the worse sound but it feels like there's something that could be filled with a different tip most likely.

Thanks again.

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 11
I went along with joesuburb's recommendation and purchased Monsters' supertips sampler pack. It's going to take a few weeks until I try them. But according to him they are the best tips for IE8!! check his post at
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/515048/what-alternatives-to-comfy
regards
Jose

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the heads up, I'm checking it out now.

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Just placed an order, should be here by Wednesday. I'll post my impressions on them then.

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Got my Monster sampler pack today and must say that I am pretty impressed.

I know I'm kind of off the original topic here but no matter how much EQing there is, it can only go so far if the tips are holding me down.

Anyways, this pack comes with a variety of sizes of "Foam" and Gel" type tips. I had a feeling I was going to like the gel type the best (they feel pretty cool and comfy somewhat)  and it comes to me as no surprise that they are my favorite sounding ones so far.

I used the small/medium gel tips and immediately I noticed a difference in sound. It was as if the sound stage amplified itself and gave the IE8's that sound I could tell was there but the T400's took away. I had to mess with my EQ for a while to get things to my liking, really didn't notice how much I had adjusted it before just to make the t400's tolerable sound wise.

I tried some of the other tips and I wasn't too satisfied. Foam tips take away too much from the sound. These do a decent job but I would probably never be satisfied, no matter how much I altered the sound. The other  size gels are either too small or too big and wouldn't provide a full seal.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the Monster Gel tips right now. They are much better than the Comply T400's. If I had to compare them, I'd say that these are a cross between the sound of the bi-flanges and the comfort of the T400, if not better. Another plus to these tips is the fact that the tips are extremely easy to fit on and take off, quite unlike the T400 which are strapped on as if they're life depended on it.

One last thing I will say though is that anybody looking to get these should consider making an estimate on they're size or something of the sort. I'm usually a medium and it turns out that it was the case here as well. Anyways, the reason I say this is because now I have a crap load of tips that I will most likely never use with the exception of maybe the medium foam for backup. So that's basically two tips for 20 somewhat dollars with free prime shipping from amazon.

These should definitely suffice until I order some custom tips so it's not that bad a deal I guess.

If someone wants pics or more impressions let me know and thanks to the person that suggested these tips and Jose for bringing it to my attention.

Peace,
Ronni

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 11
I play around with my tips nonstop.  That sounds dirty, but only wax is involved.  I was right there with you on the gels.  Currently I've moved onto using the foam tips but pushed down to the base of the IEM so the that tip is spread wide open and almost flush with the tip.  It sounds great and is more comfortable for me.  

I'm right there with the assortment you end up with.  In reality this is like 5 cents of plastic and a bunch of money on the tools/and everything it takes to bring a product to market.  I wouldn't feel ripped off if you end up tossing the left overs.  The actual plastic is the cheapest part of bringing a product to market.  But, at the same time, you could give the ones that arent your size to some lucky head-fi member.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 11
I always loved the Shure olives on my Shures.  Still do.  I think they are more comfortable than the Monsters.  But, I did in my opinion they killed the sound of the IE8.  The plastic tube needs to be removed and I think they collapse.  I tried putting in a different sized tub that would fit the IE8s, but it was a pain in the ass.  After I tried the Shure Olives, I went to Sony Hybrids.  The Sony Hybrids sounded good, but I just don't like silicon tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back