IE8 earwax problem
May 31, 2012 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kristjan

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm very sad in the pants. Bought a pair of IE8 18 months ago, they were brilliant, stopped working properly after 6 months (no sound in one of the sides), sent it to repair, got it back after a few weeks, it worked.
Last summer on my way to the airport for a week long trip, I was gently removing the earwax from around the plastic base after I took off the tip, and then the earphones stopped working. Same way as the first time. 
Anyway, the idiot that is me let time pass, and I only got to sending them back to Sennheiser two months ago. They're still covered by warranty.

In the e-mails that I got back it stated that the ear canals were blocked by earwax. He said that he could try running a few ultrasonic baths at my own risk, and seeing no alternative, I agreed. After a few baths he mailed me back and said that it didn't help much. Sound is better, but they're still not the way they used before. Also sort of tried to put the blame on me for not using the cleaning tools often enough. He is sending them back to me today.

I've been way more careful with this pair than with my previous earphones, so I really don't see how it happened. Either way, it looks like I'm stuck with a pair of expensive-ass earphones which soon enough I won't be able to use. I really hope someone here can help me out with some advice.My question is, what can I do? Is there any way I can fix them by myself, or by sending them to an audio shop?

May 31, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Sell them on ebay as "used" Walk away, think nothing of it ever again. 
tongue_smile.gif

My hopes are not high for you since they've already tried the logical solution. 

May 31, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Sell them on ebay as "used" Walk away, think nothing of it ever again. 
tongue_smile.gif

My hopes are not high for you since they've already tried the logical solution. 

Just make sure that the issue with the earphone is in the description. Otherwise, it is scamming.

May 31, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 10
If I don't clean out my ears every other day or so they get built up with a lot of ear wax because I listen to my IEM's so loud ( I'll probably be deaf by the time I'm 60).  You really need to keep your ears and IEM clean cuz ear wax is one of the IEM killers.  I don't understand why if they're still under warranty they wont fix them, is because they're saying its you fault they got dirty and not a malfunction or something?

May 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Aww, this sucks. Looks like there really isn't anything I can do. Great, looks like the Porta Pro I bought to use while my IE8 were in service will become my main 'phones.

When I wrote in an e-mail that the earphones are still under warranty and that to my reasoning they should replace them if they can't fix them, the man replied with this:

"[size=small]By not cleaning the "grid" with the included sound adjustment and cleaning tool regularly caused  the error."[/size]

Now I could argue that it says nowhere how often I must clean them (I cleaned them as soon as I saw dirt), but not sure if that would help with something.  Wish there was something I could do to get a new pair...
Here's what I've been thinking: I bought them in Sweden while I was still living there. They broke, I sent them to the store, got it back in two weeks. I moved to Norway after a year, things broke down again and the Swedish shop said that I must contact Senn directly, since they give me one year warranty and Sennheiser the other year. I sent them to Sennheiser Norway and they haven't been able to fix them. I'm going to Sweden next Wednesday, think I could maybe take them with me and mail them from Sweden to Sennheiser Sweden? Maybe they're more competent, seeing how they made them work the first time.

You really need to keep your ears and IEM clean cuz ear wax is one of the IEM killers

Really wish I had known that. I'll definitely be more careful if I buy a new high end set of IEM.

May 31, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 10
regular cleaning and maybe a dessicant jar

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi there, Sennheisers are problematic, I used the sticky side of some celotape and also bluetack/prestic to periodically lift wax buildup and improve the sound - be gentle with the grids, they come off! Moved on to Ety's now with replaceable filters...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back