IE40/Triple.fi... is it just me....??
Sep 10, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #31 of 35
I just got an M-Audio IE40 a few days ago from a local store for $399 and I must say that their SQ is indeed superior to that of UE Super.fi 5 and about on par with Shure SE530. However, I do not like their sound sig and so I am selling my pair here for a very good price. If anyone is interested in these, please PM me.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #32 of 35
I thank you for your patience! I can't believe there are so many people on this forum who are willing to help... if only there were forums for structural analysis, it would save me a lot of time LOL
I really don't have much experience with IEMs. I've listened to couple of really good Grado and AKG headphones (SR325i and K601) but don't know what to expect from IEMs. I don't have a reference system, so to speak, with which I could compare everything else because I think my old K240M don't score well on today's standards. If I may, one more question: where are the IE-40s made? Not that it matters anyway, I'm just curious.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #33 of 35
I have no idea where they are made and I can't find anything on M-Audio's website to indicate where. I generally assume that most electronic devices are made in Asia.

IEMs are a whole different experience than headphones. One could say that the best IEMs (of which I consider the IE-40 to be one) give you an intimacy with your music that I've not experienced with cans mainly because it's right inside your head. Of course, I have to admit I've never owned any high end cans, but I consider my Grado's first rate. I tend to enjoy IEMs for classical music especially and any kind of orchestral music including soundtracks and musicals. I tend to use my Grados for more popular type music - R&B, jazz, folk, etc.

Comfort is a huge issue at least with the Super.fi series (and the IE-40's which use the same buds as Super.fi's). Some folks never really get comfortable with the universal fit IEMs and I don't consider the Super.fi's or the IE-40s to be especially comfortable. As mentioned before, 2 hours about the limit that I can stand them in my ears. However, some IEMs are said to be more comfortable than others (although I don't like my V-Moda Vibes at all, they are a lot more comfortable to wear than the Super.fi's or the IE-40s). Others have no problem. It's really an individual thing. Personally, if I'm going to be listening for over 2 hours, I'll use my Grados.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by akatona /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thank you for your patience! I can't believe there are so many people on this forum who are willing to help... if only there were forums for structural analysis, it would save me a lot of time LOL
I really don't have much experience with IEMs. I've listened to couple of really good Grado and AKG headphones (SR325i and K601) but don't know what to expect from IEMs. I don't have a reference system, so to speak, with which I could compare everything else because I think my old K240M don't score well on today's standards. If I may, one more question: where are the IE-40s made? Not that it matters anyway, I'm just curious.

Made in China, like most things are nowadays. The build quality on these is great though.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #35 of 35
Thanks guys! I sort of figured that if the original UE TFs are also made in China (are they?!?), maybe they're manufactured in the same factory as the IE-40s like with most electronics nowdays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back