IE40/Triple.fi... is it just me....??
Mar 12, 2008 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
I was a long time owner of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's. And I really enjoyed them. And because I had some store credit at the local Guitar Center, I decided to get the M-Audio branded version of the Triple.fi 10's (the IE-40).

Is it just me, is it just this one pair....? I'm experiencing a HUGE mid-hump, somewhat sloppy bass, and rolled off high-treble? Basically, I think these things sorta suck, especially for the price I paid. Everyone here had stated that the IE-40 was the Triple.fi 10, simply rebranded.

I don't want to "smack talk" M-Audio, or Ultimate Ears for that matter. For those in the know.... do I have a lemon here? Or is there another explination?

This may be a bad comparison, but the right "bud" of my Super.fi 5 still works fine--I think the left one's high frequency driver is out. But in any case, the Super.fi 5 seems to have much better high frequency reach, not to mention much better comfort.
The only other current comparison are my MDR-7506's. Obviously full sized cans are different beasts. But the 7506 seems to have better separation and better treble extension.

What say you, fellow head-fiers?

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 35
It likely a lemon.

The TF10/IE40 are supposed to carry more treble energy in comparison to the SF5P.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 35
I have both the UE Super.fi Pro and the UE Triple.fi 10's, and listened to both of them quite a bit. I like the Triple.fi's much better on all accounts. In fact I don't remember how long ago was the last time that I used the Super.fi Pro's
biggrin.gif

Will

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 35
hmmm. that makes me very suspicious. For example... all of the IE-40's at the Guitar Center in Chicago had TWO factory-seals (those circular clear stickers used to seal the box), one on top of the other. Yet the IE-30's only had one seal.

I wonder what that could be.

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 35
bump. sorry to be rude with the bumps, but i might have to take them back to guitar center, and if anyone's familiar with their return policies, i might have my work cut out for me.

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 35
Well, here's an update. I went back to Guitar Center, and I had to speak to the manager. He flat-out refused to give me my money back, and I had to argue with him for 5 minutes before he would do anything other than order me another pair of IE-40's. I eventually got them to give me store credit. WHAT A LOAD OF SH!T. This has soured me from getting another pair of IE-40's. I wish there was a local retail chain that sold Ultimate Ears (Guitar Center used to).

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #11 of 35
its a rebadge job, same as the altec lensing with the Super.fi 3,

the issue is that the casing shape for the UE universals is horrible, makes it hard to get a good seal, i would say try with different tips and try to use the flip mod (hookup the cable to the wrong headphones L->R and R-> and wear them the other way around)

but a defective pair isnt out of the question, please consult with your distributer,

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by artleaf2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, we have IE40 for customer demo.
And it sounds great.
I'm definitely sure he got a defected pair.
IE40 and triple.fi should be same.

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way you could tell me, if the bottom of the packaging is double-sealed? Meaning, is there one clear plastic circle or are there two, one nearly directly on top of the other one?

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 35
You should buy the second pair from one of the head-fi sponsors that allow returns. This way you have an out if you find the second pair still not to your liking. Find a way to sell or use the store credit for something else

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 35
Yep, sounds like a lemon. Flip mod doesn't really work with the Triple.fi, but I think that the nozzle size is the major problem with getting a better seal for some. I don't think I could get that kind of sound he described with the Triple.fi at any seal however. A mid-hump just sounds uncharacteristic.

BTW, you should really try to get those Super.fi 5 pro rapaired by UE support. Their support should take good care of you. I have had cracked housings, bad cords, and a bad driver all, and they fixed it no problem and FAST. Thats a major reason why I have always chosen to stick with them and move up the chain.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, sounds like a lemon. Flip mod doesn't really work with the Triple.fi, but I think that the nozzle size is the major problem with getting a better seal for some. I don't think I could get that kind of sound he described with the Triple.fi at any seal however. A mid-hump just sounds uncharacteristic.

BTW, you should really try to get those Super.fi 5 pro rapaired by UE support. Their support should take good care of you. I have had cracked housings, bad cords, and a bad driver all, and they fixed it no problem and FAST. Thats a major reason why I have always chosen to stick with them and move up the chain.

I flip mod my Triple.fi no problem. Didn't seem any harder than with the Super.fi's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back