IE40/Triple.fi... is it just me....??
Mar 13, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I flip mod my Triple.fi no problem. Didn't seem any harder than with the Super.fi's.

Nice. It seems my ears are too shallow vertically, at least on the left ear. I had to use the Shure black foam to get a decent seal at all.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply. Is there a way you could tell me, if the bottom of the packaging is double-sealed? Meaning, is there one clear plastic circle or are there two, one nearly directly on top of the other one?

There's only one clear circle plastic sticker on the bottom and another one os on the top.

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by artleaf2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, we have IE40 for customer demo.
And it sounds great.
I'm definitely sure he got a defected pair.
IE40 and triple.fi should be same.

I hope you're right. I just ordered the IE40 yesterday. Would've bought the triple.fi, but I'd rather have a neutral color.

I called M-Audio direct and asked a sales rep why M-Audio quotes a different frequency response than UE. He said he had no idea why they would be any different. He said UE makes them, and they are constructed exactly the same as the triple.fi with the only difference being the casing color.

Maybe the casing color actually colors the tone?
rolleyes.gif

I also plan on trying them out as IEMs for some solo acoustic/vocal gigs I'll be doing.

This is my first purchase of IEMs, so I hope I won't be disappointed.

Apr 18, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #20 of 35
I'm very glad that I decided to get the UE Triple.fi 10's instead of another pair of IE-40's. I know that they're supposed to be identical save the coloring. But to me, even the accessories seemed slightly cheaper-feeling. The silicone buds seemed cheaper on the m-audio version, as did the cord itself. And the case was definitely not as nice... it was a really cheap-feeling pot metal on the M-Audio, instead of the nice glossed-over brushed metal of the UE. And ironically, the UE blends in more because the blue is a much darker color, whereas the chrome of the IE-40 is bright as day.

Plus, at least where I purchased them (Full Compass), the UE was significantly (read nearly 100 dollars) cheaper than the REbrand.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #21 of 35
The cable and silicone buds that came with my IE-40 seems perfectly normal, though I have never seen or held a Triple.fi 10 Pro, so I can't compare.

From looking at pictures, the cable looks identical but the buds look like they might be more of a frosted gray than a pure black. It could give the impression that they are poorer quality because they're more translucent but they work just the same for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

The case definitely looks different, though. I don't use the case anyhow...

I also agree that the M-AUDIO IE-40 is more flashy than the metallic blue of the Triple.fi 10 Pro because of the bright silvery chrome. I still prefer the black and chrome color scheme, though.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Just figured out the bud issue. I did not realize it, but Ultimate Ears actually sells two different colors for their eartips: grey and black.
tongue.gif
The Triple.fi 10 Pro comes with black eartips, while the M-AUDIO IE-40 comes with grey (which is like a translucent black and does look cheaper IMO).

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice. It seems my ears are too shallow vertically, at least on the left ear. I had to use the Shure black foam to get a decent seal at all.

Comply T500 foam tips work really well for those of you who are experiencing difficulty getting a good seal. Comforts improves so much with these tips. IE40 requires hundreds of hours of burn- in in order to sound good. They produce one of the best warming sound with impressive deep bass, my ears wont be tired even after long hours of listening~
beyersmile.png

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #23 of 35
This is what the guy from M-Audio tech support told me when I asked about the differences in frequency response between the IE-40s and the TFs:
"there might be slight difference in the two. I do not think it
is a noticeable difference though and don't think it should be a deal breaker. I would say to get whichever is easier for you because they are both going to sound great".

I don't know what to make of it. And even stranger, user manual for IE-40 doesn't contain any technical characteristics regarding frequency response. In my country, UE is unobtainable so it is a bit of a problem. I'd appreciate any insight you guys might have, especially if you owned both of them.

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #24 of 35
This is what the guy from M-Audio tech support told me when I asked about the differences in frequency response between the IE-40s and the TFs:
is a noticeable difference though and don't think it should be a deal breaker. I would say to get whichever is easier for you because they are both going to sound great".

I don't know what to make of it. And even stranger, user manual for IE-40 doesn't contain any technical characteristics regarding frequency response. In my country, UE is unobtainable so it is a bit of a problem. I'd appreciate any insight you guys might have, especially if you owned both of them.

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by akatona /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As they are rebranded Triple.fi, they should be the same internally except for the color of the IEM enclosure and therefore be the same as all the parts are the same used by UE. Its the warranty and price that are the big difference.

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #26 of 35
Yes that would be the logical conclusion since UE put all their knowledge in design and build technology, and have done so for couple of years. It is highly unlikely that M-Audio managed to produce their IE series with no experience whatsoever. But still, I found no evidence on any site that IE-40 are in fact the same product as the UE pandan... I find it confusing, but I am not an economics expert. You can't sell the same product for the higher peice, right?

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As they are rebranded Triple.fi, they should be the same internally except for the color of the IEM enclosure and therefore be the same as all the parts are the same used by UE. Its the warranty and price that are the big difference.

I forgot, what is the difference in warranty btw? Thanks!

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 35
M-Audio warranty is one year, UE warranty is two IIRC.

Note that Guitar Center (where I bought mine) sells these for $399 although they are listed at $499 on the M-Audio site.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #29 of 35
Ok thanks! May I ask if you're satisfied with IE-40s? Have you ever tried SE530 or did you simply go for the IE-40s? Do you find them sufficiently comfortable and is the sound isolaton any good? I ask a lot of questions...

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by akatona /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks! May I ask if you're satisfied with IE-40s? Have you ever tried SE530 or did you simply go for the IE-40s? Do you find them sufficiently comfortable and is the sound isolaton any good? I ask a lot of questions...

My IE-40's are an upgrade from my Super.Fi 5 Pro's that my son has inherited. I've never heard the SE530 and from what I've read, they don't seem like they're really worth the more than $100 premium. My progression of IEMs has been Super.fi 3 Studio to Super.fi 5 Pro to IE-40's. (I don't count my V-Moda Vibes which don't impress me a bit).

The sound isolation is outstanding. You might hear a nuclear explosion with these in, but anything less that that probably not!
smily_headphones1.gif

Comfort is okay. I use either the medium sized inserts or the foam ones. I can only stand either for about a couple of hours then they start bothering me, but I can live with that.

I would quantify the IE-40's as being as huge a step up from the Super.fi 5 Pro's as the 5 Pro's were from the Super.fi 3 Studios. I can't believe the things I can hear now (background instruments I never noticed before in classical music, decay of cymbals, slap of drums, etc.) and the clarity of everything. Yeah, I'm satisfied. I can truly say, I never knew music could sound so fulsome and "complete".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back