Identifying a genuine Beats by Dre MIXR video & impressions *** updated ****
Jul 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #31 of 37
I know you will do a review soon, but I just have to ask. Have you ever listened to the Bose QC15? If so, do you prefer it or the Beats Studios in your short time with them? Thanks for what you're doing. Very impatient wating for your reviews LOL!

I know it isn't HiFiGuy's response, but Tyll at InnerFidelity compared the two:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones

I think his criteria were a little different than what HiFiGuy is after though (he seemed to focus more on how well the ANC worked).

Maybe the Mixr or the Pros can cut it, but other Beats won't. Even most modern hip-hop uses more advanced full melodic range sounds that Tours/Solos/Studios IMHO fail to deliver without giving a headache. The bass might be OK, but anything above 1000Hz will sound like a needle in the ear and needs heavy EQ-ing (up to -6db) to make it listenable. 

Just listened to some bassy tracks - tech house, hard techno, jazz, blues, rap, classical with my Tours. As far as the majority of sounds stays in the bass - everything sounds great, but when things go beyond…. Even a single hi-hat every beat can be irritating.

I know you asked about the Beats Pro, but all Beats share this sound specific more or less.

Which one is the "Tour"? (I don't keep track).

And when you say "needle in the ear" you mean they have piercing/shrill treble? Along the lines of what? T70? SR-325? etc

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #32 of 37
Quote:
I know it isn't HiFiGuy's response, but Tyll at InnerFidelity compared the two:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones
I think his criteria were a little different than what HiFiGuy is after though (he seemed to focus more on how well the ANC worked).

Exactly.  I read that review and he never really discussed the sound comparison between the two, just the ANC.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:
Which one is the "Tour"? (I don't keep track).
And when you say "needle in the ear" you mean they have piercing/shrill treble? Along the lines of what? T70? SR-325? etc

The Tour is the IEM from Dre.
I haven't yet had headphones like that, so I'm comparing to other IEMs I listened to (SE215, Phonak 012…) as well as HD25s for the Solos. Both sound harsh and edgy to be precise.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:
Exactly.  I read that review and he never really discussed the sound comparison between the two, just the ANC.

Sorry. Marginally I think the sound quality is comparable. For me, the Studios are a bit more uneven and loose sounding, the QC15 is more even, but kinda boring. Noise canceling on the QC15 creams the Studio though. 

I wouldn't buy noise cancelers at all if I didn't need them though. That's why I focused so much on the noise canceling aspect in the article. The Polks sounded great.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #35 of 37
I have a thread on the new Beats Studio. Perhaps we should move the NC and sound discussions there?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/619203/first-look-at-the-new-revised-2012-beats-by-dr-dre-beats-studio-headphones-unboxing-video-impressions-to-come

Users who are viewing this thread

Back