Identifying a genuine Beats by Dre MIXR video & impressions *** updated ****
Jul 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #16 of 37
It is very tight so it isolates outside noise well. I don't feel much discomfort after a couple of hours, not any
more discomfort than my Pioneer SE-MJ591. The sound is not bloated at all like the Solo HD I tried in the store. I am using a good Dac and amp and all my music is uncompressed AIFF files. The MIXR can provide a good listening experience if the songs are well recorded. Dr. Dre Chronic album sounds really really good. Dance music like Deadmau5 sounds ok, not the best. Hip-Hop with some vocals really sings.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:
It is very tight so it isolates outside noise well. I don't feel much discomfort after a couple of hours, not any
more discomfort than my Pioneer SE-MJ591. The sound is not bloated at all like the Solo HD I tried in the store. I am using a good Dac and amp and all my music is uncompressed AIFF files. The MIXR can provide a good listening experience if the songs are well recorded. Dr. Dre Chronic album sounds really really good. Dance music like Deadmau5 sounds ok, not the best. Hip-Hop with some vocals really sings.

Thanks for more info on these ^_^ also very great video its always great to see others say to Try something for them self's instead of just reading reviews and just judging from there as i always like to test a product for my self and see if it fits my needs if not i'm sure it would for someone else.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #20 of 37
I owned a pair of i-beats and I remember liking them for certain genres but I remember the mids sounding really weird almost like the treble and bass were FLAC and the mids were 96kbps.

I do remember hearing 400$ studio headphones back before I had heard any high fidelity headphones and I remember having my mind blown.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #22 of 37
Hey HiFiGuy528 are the Beats Mixr less tight now cause you have been breaking them in ? also are the Mixr Over ear or on Ear, as alot of people say they are over ear and some say on ear ?

Pretty sure they're "on-ear" like Grado headphones or the ATH-ESW9. At least the set I (finally) saw in a shop are (were? is?).

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #24 of 37
Well the reason i was asking is cause some people say they go over there ears, maybe it depends on ear size of the person?

Certainly. I could see my RS-1s being around/over-ear for a child or smaller person, and I'm sure plenty of other "larger" on-ear headphones fit into that paradigm as well. Not all of them are as teeny-tiny as the Koss KPH7 or KTX-Pro. :)

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #25 of 37
The MIXR is on ear and it is still tight, BUT since the ear pads are thin only small about of materials rests on the ears so it doesn't bother me too much. Being so tight does it decent job at noise isolation.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #26 of 37
I listened to the pros a bit and thought that the soundscaping/surroundsound/whatever you want to call it was not very good.  Besides that I pretty much just agreed with Tyl.  How do the beats you have seem in regards to surround sound?

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #27 of 37
The BeatsPro has a specific sound signature taylored towards Rap/Hip Hop music. Any other genre doesn't sound good at all. At times, I found the highs to be harsh. If not using an amp, the BeatsPro will not perform well and sound thin and harsh. A full review of the entire line to come so stay subscribed.

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #28 of 37
The BeatsPro has a specific sound signature taylored towards Rap/Hip Hop music. Any other genre doesn't sound good at all. At times, I found the highs to be harsh. If not using an amp, the BeatsPro will not perform well and sound thin and harsh. A full review of the entire line to come so stay subscribed.

Question on this:

How about with other bass heavy/slow-ish genres, like jazz? R&B? techno? etc

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #29 of 37
I know you will do a review soon, but I just have to ask. Have you ever listened to the Bose QC15? If so, do you prefer it or the Beats Studios in your short time with them? Thanks for what you're doing. Very impatient wating for your reviews LOL!

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:
Question on this:
How about with other bass heavy/slow-ish genres, like jazz? R&B? techno? etc

Maybe the Mixr or the Pros can cut it, but other Beats won't. Even most modern hip-hop uses more advanced full melodic range sounds that Tours/Solos/Studios IMHO fail to deliver without giving a headache. The bass might be OK, but anything above 1000Hz will sound like a needle in the ear and needs heavy EQ-ing (up to -6db) to make it listenable. 

Just listened to some bassy tracks - tech house, hard techno, jazz, blues, rap, classical with my Tours. As far as the majority of sounds stays in the bass - everything sounds great, but when things go beyond…. Even a single hi-hat every beat can be irritating.

I know you asked about the Beats Pro, but all Beats share this sound specific more or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back