Identifying a genuine Beats by Dre MIXR video & impressions *** updated ****
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
I've done a lot of research and reached out to my contacts at Monster to bring you this instructional unboxing video on how to identify a genuine Beats by Dre MIXR headphones. I hope this is helpful for you ad stay tuned for my impressions and how it stacks up against the KING of Dj headphones, the Pioneer HDJ-2000.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbUAff3aiA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/VIDEO]

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 37
Very interesting, I'll sign up to this thread… 
popcorn.gif
 Ups for doing such a brave move, though you could end up in sh!t. 
beyersmile.png

I kinda think about the beats as my bad shameful past: I was just tangled by the look, my friends had them, and I poured out money on them, without thinking. First I had Solo HDs. An year later they broke and then I got my hands on Tours. Only after I broke my old iTouch I became concerned with SQ. Days of googling brought me to head-fi and here I settled down for Turbine Golds and a 5g iPod. I wish I could get all that wasted money back though…

Now that Beats is off from Monster and AFAIK HTC wants to part ways with them too, I'm curious of how they'll sail the audio ocean. 

But I do have to ask - aren't Technics headphones considered the king of dj cups? 

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 37
Thanks for sharing your experience. Technics are KING of turntables, Pioneer is king of Dj headphones IMO. My brief experience with the Beats Solo HD were that they sounded muffled, but it was powered by an iPod Touch so I think in the future I may get the Solo HD to try as well, but I will power it by a strong amp (1,100mW) and see how it sounds. Right now the MIXR is the first Beats to go against my collection of headphones. We'll see how it stacks up.

A LOT of people bash Beats headphones. I just want to make my own judgements.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 37
initial impressions are that these are not fast sounding and the ear cups are TIGHT.  Still breaking it in right now.  I'll run it for 24 hrs more before I give them a real listen.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:
A LOT of people bash Beats headphones. I just want to make my own judgements.

I have the beats pro and I like it. It's not worth $400, but it's still not that bad of a headphone, especially if you're a basshead that listen to mostly hip hop.

As for the mixr, they are smaller than I thought. I never did any research on them but I've always thought they were over the ear. 
Looking forward to your impressions, if they sound decent I might pick up a pair.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:
I have the beats pro and I like it. It's not worth $400, but it's still not that bad of a headphone, especially if you're a basshead that listen to mostly hip hop.

As for the mixr, they are smaller than I thought. I never did any research on them but I've always thought they were over the ear. 
Looking forward to your impressions, if they sound decent I might pick up a pair.

I think both the Mixr and the Pro are the best Beats in terms of build quality and sound quality.

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 37
I am enjoying these right now on my MacBook Air and Audioquest DragonFly DAC/amp and I do think these don't sound all that bad specially with rap/hip hop music.  The midrange is a bit more forward than normal, but it's not like a horn speaker.  The bass is tight, but not boomy.  Highs are actually very smooth, not any bit of harshness at all.  The clamping force is hard on my ears.  I am not feeling any discomfort yet after an hour, but I think if I were outside in the sun it would be a problem.  More to come.

Gonna try some David Guetta music this weekend.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 37
I don't think it's bad for any audio enthusiast to try any of the Beats headphones line for themselves so he/she can decide if it's the headphones for them.  Dre isn't marketing the headphones as "audiophile" or "Hi-Fi" so I'm not gonna flame him for making a product that may not meet those expectations/standards.  My short experience with the Beats MIXR headphones so far is not all that bad.  If you take into count the features, build quality, industrial design, accessories, sound, and looks, it's not all that bad for the asking price of $249.  At least he is not rebranding a headphones like some celebrity is doing with a manufacture.  Just trying to have an open mind and deciding for myself.  :)

I'm using Shuffle on iTunes to listen to all different genres. Stay tuned for more impressions.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 37
I am impressed by this headphones.  Male vocals and kick drums are amazing.  It's not a neutral sound, but it's a fun sound.  As tight as the clamping force, I don't feel much discomfort after two hours.  More to come and a review against the others.

Aerosmith "Dream On" sounds amazing.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 37
How bout that comparrison? :)

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 37
I don't have the ESW9, I wish I did.  The MIXR is really good in Rap/Hip Hop music and some Metal.  The mids for very forward and the mid-bass is tight.  Highs are surprisingly smooth, not hash at all.  It has an exciting sound.  I compared it to my favorite Rap headphones the Sony MDR-XB700.  The XB700 sounds dull in comparison, but the bass pounds more.  Listening to an old school Dj Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince album right now.  It brought me back to the 80's.  More to come.

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 37
I don't have the ESW9, I wish I did.  The MIXR is really good in Rap/Hip Hop music and some Metal.  The mids for very forward and the mid-bass is tight.  Highs are surprisingly smooth, not hash at all.  It has an exciting sound.  I compared it to my favorite Rap headphones the Sony MDR-XB700.  The XB700 sounds dull in comparison, but the bass pounds more.  Listening to an old school Dj Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince album right now.  It brought me back to the 80's.  More to come.

Very cool on the sonic impressions - sort of reminds me of what Tyll said about the Beats Pro; forward/good mids, behaved highs, and good bass slam. You're sorta making me want to try one of these cans out...:basshead:

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #15 of 37
Very Awesome its great to see more people not dissing on Beats as its really bad when people diss a product and then say the person who bought that product is an idiot i just don't see why people Should hate on people for what hey like in a product.

its great reading your review of them alot of people say the Mixr's are hard on the ears i heard a trick of putting them over the box they came in and leaving them for a day or two, as i would love to get them its just the Tightness has kind of turned me off them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back