Ideal Custom IEM for my Listening tastes
Jul 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Snfsd

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi, this is only my second post here, so please forgive me for any mistakes especially with audiophile terms. I have been reading this forum for at least a year now and joined only recently. I started by purchasing the Beats by Dr Dre Studio Headphones, liked the sound signature of tyhose headphones. I then started to look for more portable IEMs with similiar sound signature when i stumbled on this forum. During the year which i have been reading the forums here, I have read many reviews and have purchased the W3, UM3X, Triple fi.10 and IE8. I have also tried almost all available IEMs besides the EarSonics SM3.

I like the way the bass does have some impact in the W3, however I don't really like it because, i find the highs to be piecering to the ear at slightly louder volumes.
The clarity and neutrality of the UM3X amazes and puts me in a state of awe, however the lack of bass slam or impact makes me feel that this is not the IEM for me
I like the bass slam of the Triple fi. 10 but find the highs annoying and lacking in sub bass.
I really like the bass impact and extension in the IE8 however the bass overwhelms the rest of the music which is un wanted. 

What made me consider custom IEMs was when testing out different headphones in mingo's shop in Hong Kong, He had the JH5 demo model and the clarity and neutrality amazed me along with the slighty less than ideal bass slam and impact. This made me think that if Jerry Harvey can do this much with 2 drivers, what magic he could make with more drivers. Unfortunately Mingo did not have other demo models for me to try, they were undergoing repair

To sum it up
I like neutrality with good extension in the highs and lows along with bass impact and slam, I am open to suggestion on both UE, JH and other brands custom Earphones. 

BTW I listen to mostly Hip Hop and RnB along with occasional classical and rock. I listen to my music at 20% on the iPod Classic 

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 4
If the money its not problem than JH13 Pro is real winner. I had UM3x, W3, Triple.fi and i must say JH13 have all you want:)Neutrality with SUPER extension:)

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
However after reading some reviews about the JH13, I'm afraid the the JH13 pros may not have a preferable amount of bass slam or visceral impact for my tastes

That is why there is a JH16 Pro.  You may want to scan my review and comparison of them (link in sig. line).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back