Icon Mobile Upgrade Recommendation
Feb 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

sid311

Head-Fier
Hi all! I'm looking for a good USB DAC to replace an Icon Mobile that is too bright for my set up and my ears
regular_smile .gif

I would like something that is detailed across the board with deep, accurate bass and lush mids. I'm looking for something that is not too bright or overly forward but that isn't laid back either. I guess I'm looking for a natural presentation?

Budget is $300 and I want something as small as possible to use on the go if need be. I don't need a DAC/amp combo really as I'm using a MiniBox E+ to drive my ER4Ps.

Suggestions?
beyersmile.png

-sid

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 36
You list it in your sig as part of your portable setup. Do you need it to be USB-Bus powered? Small as possible on the go makes that a probable yes.

Uhhh, the Pico USB DAC-only is highly rated, but a bit out of your range, iirc.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 36
Yeah I need it to be USB-bus powered. I guess it's really not "portable" per say as I use with my laptop. More semi portable.

I've seen that the NuForce UDac is getting a lot of praise. I'm thinking of going that route. Comments?

-sid

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen that the NuForce UDac is getting a lot of praise. I'm thinking of going that route. Comments?

IIRC, the NuForce uDac and the Nuforce Icon Mobile use exactly the same DAC chip, so you'd get no change on that end; you'd only be changing the headphone amp circuitry. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 36
The Hotaudio DAC-Extasy fits the bill perfectly. The people in the uDAC thread say the Pico DAC isn't even much better than the uDAC, if at all better, while the DAC Extasy is a definite upgrade over the uDAC. I would go with that one- in fact, i have.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, the NuForce uDac and the Nuforce Icon Mobile use exactly the same DAC chip

I don't think so. They don't have the same DAC chip.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so. They don't have the same DAC chip.

Ok, sorry, I must have been thinking of something else.

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 36
@userlander-saw your comments in the uDac thread. Interesting, I think you might be correct in that I have the wrong impression of the uDac. I will check out the Hotaudio DAC-Extasy.

My whole motive here is to find something that synergises with my ER4Ps better. The Icon Mobile is way too bright for these cans, imho. I was having serious listening fatigue with that setup.

-sid

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 36
Did a little research on the DAC-Extasy. Found some good reviews/impressions on it but there's a disclaimer on the product page that says this DAC is not for use with IEMs or ear buds. Kinda weird, I wonder what the deal is. Back to the drawing board.

-sid

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

@userlander-saw your comments in the uDac thread. Interesting, I think you might be correct in that I have the wrong impression of the uDac. I will check out the Hotaudio DAC-Extasy.

My whole motive here is to find something that synergises with my ER4Ps better. The Icon Mobile is way too bright for these cans, imho. I was having serious listening fatigue with that setup.

-sid

I've never heard the icon mobile, so I can't really comment on that, or how bright it is. My impression of the Extasy, however, is that it is very well balanced across the board, very neutral, neither warm nor bright, neither forward nor laid back. It's just "even." I wouldn't call the mids especially "lush" or the bass especially "deep" -- to me, it all just sounds extremely natural and accurate. That neutral signature might sound "bright" to someone coming to it from the standpoint of liking artificially boosted bass, etc. But as far as I can tell, it's just extremely neutral and accurate. Very nice.

The uDAC, otoh, doesn't sound that way. By comparison, there is a slight bump in the mid-bass, a slight recession in the upper mids, and the highs are more rolled off, "sizzly," and definitely thinner in comparison. The highs on the Extasy sound much more natural and realistic than the uDAC, and also much more balanced with the rest of the frequencies.

Even though the highs are more rolled off with the uDAC, because they are a little bit "sizzly," the DAC as a whole tends to have that kind of "U"-shaped sound, with that bump in the midbass and the slightly recessed upper mids all contributing. Usually that is done for "wow" factor, which is great if that's the sound you prefer. But from your description it sounded like you were going for something more like the Extasy, which is ruler-flat by comparison, has more even mids and better highs, and overall is just better balanced throughout.

Those are my impressions, at least, once again coming from the standpoint of *neutrality,* or of valuing neutrality. If you are coming from wanting a more bass-boosted sound, or more of that "wow" factor sound as opposed to neutrality, you might very well prefer the uDAC, if you could overlook the fact that the highs quite frankly are just not as good. To me, that was a flaw with the uDAC that goes beyond mere preference, so it was hard for me to get beyond that, but for some people having that slightly colored or artificially "warm" sound is more important and they can overlook the flaws with the highs. I like balance and neutrality more, so I went with the Extasy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Did a little research on the DAC-Extasy. Found some good reviews/impressions on it but there's a disclaimer on the product page that says this DAC is not for use with IEMs or ear buds. Kinda weird, I wonder what the deal is. Back to the drawing board.

-sid

bah, I think that's probably just there for legal reasons, so people don't blow their ears out or blow their earbuds and sue him or something.
tongue.gif

I've listened to the Extasy with both my PK3s and KCS75s directly out of the HP out with no problem. It's just like the HP out on anything. You just have to take the usual precautions with your volume that you would with anything else.

The uDAC with its built in amp has at least 1/3 more power and you can use IEMs with that. Maybe hotaudio will write in with some super technical reason not to do it, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much, personally.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the icon mobile, so I can't really comment on that, or how bright it is. My impression of the Extasy, however, is that it is very well balanced across the board, very neutral, neither warm nor bright, neither forward nor laid back. It's just "even." I wouldn't call the mids especially "lush" or the bass especially "deep" -- to me, it all just sounds extremely natural and accurate. That neutral signature might sound "bright" to someone coming to it from the standpoint of liking artificially boosted bass, etc. But as far as I can tell, it's just extremely neutral and accurate. Very nice.

The uDAC, otoh, doesn't sound that way. By comparison, there is a slight bump in the mid-bass, a slight recession in the upper mids, and the highs are more rolled off, "sizzly," and definitely thinner in comparison. The highs on the Extasy sound much more natural and realistic than the uDAC, and also much more balanced with the rest of the frequencies.

Even though the highs are more rolled off with the uDAC, because they are a little bit "sizzly," the DAC as a whole tends to have that kind of "U"-shaped sound, with that bump in the midbass and the slightly recessed upper mids all contributing. Usually that is done for "wow" factor, which is great if that's the sound you prefer. But from your description it sounded like you were going for something more like the Extasy, which is ruler-flat by comparison, has more even mids and better highs, and overall is just better balanced throughout.

Those are my impressions, at least, once again coming from the standpoint of *neutrality,* or of valuing neutrality. If you are coming from wanting a more bass-boosted sound, or more of that "wow" factor sound as opposed to neutrality, you might very well prefer the uDAC, if you could overlook the fact that the highs quite frankly are just not as good. To me, that was a flaw with the uDAC that goes beyond mere preference, so it was hard for me to get beyond that, but for some people having that slightly colored or artificially "warm" sound is more important and they can overlook the flaws with the highs. I like balance and neutrality more, so I went with the Extasy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I have to tell you I really don't like hearing that the highs are rolled off. This is a big turn off for me, that's why I'm selling my E500PTH and have gone to the ER4P. I want my sparkle!

-sid

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bah, I think that's probably just there for legal reasons, so people don't blow their ears out or blow their earbuds and sue him or something.
tongue.gif

I've listened to the Extasy with both my PK3s and KCS75s directly out of the HP out with no problem. It's just like the HP out on anything. You just have to take the usual precautions with your volume that you would with anything else.

The uDAC with its built in amp has at least 1/3 more power and you can use IEMs with that. Maybe hotaudio will write in with some super technical reason not to do it, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much, personally.
tongue_smile.gif

I think I'll shoot an email off to Dave, I hear he's a really nice guy and good with prompt replies and technical questions. I'll update here when I hear back from him.

-sid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back