Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Oct 25, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #631 of 1,535
The current model - with the copper top plate - is the third iteration of the HP8 that Icon Audio have produced, but it was never differentiated in name from the earlier Mk2. This has led some to coin the term Mk2.2 to describe the latest version.

Someone else may be able to confirm this, but I recall that there was no circuit design changes - only a casing update - from Mk2 to Mk2.2 and this might be why Icon Audio never changed the model designation.

And of course, since October 2021, Icon Audio are listing three instead of two options on the Mk2.2 - standard, with Bluetooth, Bluetooth SE (and a price hike)!

Then it would make more sense that the differences in sound I heard were likely from the first copper plate version being very well used when purchased; likewise the second was a floor demo model at Music Direct, so who knows how many hours were on it. The third was brand new in box. All of these factors plus indeed any production minor changes down the line could be why I heard such difference in sound. ( I have barely ever used the stock tubes. The David Shaw signature edition did sound okay though. I still have them in box... Psavane CV181 did sound decent to me.)

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #632 of 1,535
Hi all HP8 owners and thread goers... I am new to the world of the Icon HP8. I just bought a Signature Edition with the Mundorf Caps and the Ceramic CV181's and Electro Lux Russian 12ax7. First and foremost, I love this amp. I am having so much fun with it. It has finally made my Auteur sound like the amazing dynamic headphone I knew it could be. It was good on my Mainline, and really good on my Cembalo Labs Spring 1. But, on the HP8 it is something else entirely. Love it!

So, few questions... I have not read through the whole thread yet, so I am sure these questions have already been asked and or discussed, but I thought I would ask anyhow.

1. How much does tube rolling affect the sound of the HP8?
2. Which CV181's or 6SN7 or Variants do you recommend with the HP8? I have looked at the Ken-Rad, Hytron 5692 and a V231 NOS. They are really expensive. Are the Ceramic CV181 Shaw's the best 6SN7 for the HP8?
3. Which 12AX7 do you all like best with the HP8?
4. Which of the two different tube types has most impact on the sound?
5. Do you feel the Mundorf Caps are the best caps for the HP8?

That's it for now... Thank you!

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #633 of 1,535
Had the exact same edition since this time last year and haven’t been tempted to change a thing …. Yet ..😬
I’m sure there’s more than a few out there with results from tube rolling but for me going with the designers chosen SE tubes was a “safe bet”, and just about all manufacturers use freely available new construction vs NOS for consistency and continued availability, if mine continues to sound as it should I may consider rolling the 12AX7 as I have a preference for Gold Lion small signal tubes over EH in my preamp, but that can wait until they need replacing.

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #635 of 1,535
Hi all HP8 owners and thread goers... I am new to the world of the Icon HP8. I just bought a Signature Edition with the Mundorf Caps and the Ceramic CV181's and Electro Lux Russian 12ax7. First and foremost, I love this amp. I am having so much fun with it. It has finally made my Auteur sound like the amazing dynamic headphone I knew it could be. It was good on my Mainline, and really good on my Cembalo Labs Spring 1. But, on the HP8 it is something else entirely. Love it!

So, few questions... I have not read through the whole thread yet, so I am sure these questions have already been asked and or discussed, but I thought I would ask anyhow.

1. How much does tube rolling affect the sound of the HP8?
2. Which CV181's or 6SN7 or Variants do you recommend with the HP8? I have looked at the Ken-Rad, Hytron 5692 and a V231 NOS. They are really expensive. Are the Ceramic CV181 Shaw's the best 6SN7 for the HP8?
3. Which 12AX7 do you all like best with the HP8?
4. Which of the two different tube types has most impact on the sound?
5. Do you feel the Mundorf Caps are the best caps for the HP8?

That's it for now... Thank you!
I didn't get the Signature Edition so rolling in a Gold Lion 12AX7 and some EH Gold Pin 6SN7's, greatly improved treble extension and bass impact over the stock tubes.

Feb 3, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #636 of 1,535
Feb 3, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #637 of 1,535
Welcome, owning it for three years now, no issue, very reliable, great sound.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #638 of 1,535
Interesting thread, been watching the hp8 for a while now. My main amp is the Icon Stereo 40 mk4 and I love this amp. It actually has a very good headphone output using separate windings on the output transformer.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #639 of 1,535
My main amp is the Icon Stereo 40 mk4 and I love this amp. It actually has a very good headphone output using separate windings on the output transformer.
I've always wondered about this!

Amazing to hear from someone who actually has the Stereo 40 Mk4!

My front-end is all vinyl (SL1200G, Benz Micro Glider SL, Cyrus Phono Signature) into a Rega Elex-R and ProAc DT8. That's 113 watts into the nominal 4 ohm load of my speakers. I appreciate that much of the time I'm barely pulling a few watts. I always wondered, with 40 watts, what happens when the speakers suddenly demand a lot of power (eg. big dynamic swings)?

I also have always wondered about the headphone output on the Stereo 40 versus the HP8. Again, I appreciate the HP8 is a different circuit design (class A, single ended), but in a blind and volume matched test, could I tell much of a difference, I wonder?

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #640 of 1,535
Have never heard the hp8 so can’t comment on that. The st 40 is actually 50 watts in ultrlinear mode and I think 30 or 35 in triode mode. My Sonus faber speakers are not particularly efficient but have not had any problems. The headphone jack is rated for 8 to 600 ohms and sounds very good with my lcrx headphones.

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #641 of 1,535
Interesting thread, been watching the hp8 for a while now. My main amp is the Icon Stereo 40 mk4 and I love this amp. It actually has a very good headphone output using separate windings on the output transformer.
😜…’watching’ rather than ‘looking at’? What has hp8 been doing?…..Actually, if it were not for the tube h/p/a (OTC and OTL) that I have, I would be a hp8 buyer: 2 x 6SN7 and 1 x 12AX7 (great tube rolling territory), point-to-point wiring, beautiful copper plate…😋

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #642 of 1,535
😜…’watching’ rather than ‘looking at’? What has hp8 been doing?…..Actually, if it were not for the tube h/p/a (OTC and OTL) that I have, I would be a hp8 buyer: 2 x 6SN7 and 1 x 12AX7 (great tube rolling territory), point-to-point wiring, beautiful copper plate…😋
It is an awesome amp. Loving it! Sounds is sweet, gentle and dynamic simultaneously.

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #643 of 1,535
Hey folks, any of you HP8 owners have Meze Empyrean? Wondering about synergy with those cans.

As well, any of you had a chance to compare the upgraded version against slightly more expensive tube amps like the Feliks Elise or Dragonfire IHA1, Ampandsound Kenzi, LTA MZ2...?

Mar 11, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #644 of 1,535
Does the "Icon Audio HP8 MkII Signature" match the Audeze LCD-X with its 20 ohms...
- would it be a recommended combination 🤔

Alternatively, I have my eye on White Bird Amplification's products.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back