Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Dec 6, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #526 of 1,468
Anyone in here with expert knowledge of ECC83 variants? My Ebay is inundated with Mullard M8137 , the military grade ECC83 equivalent. SInce it was supposed to be a sought after ECC83 of course a lot fo those listed on ebay will be fake but what would be the tell tell signs?

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #528 of 1,468
I just got the icon hp8 mkii without copper plate variant and of course with out loop out circuit. My first impression is, it is extremely well built, it is clear, weighty sound and I love it so far. I will spend more time listen to it before I make a decision whether I should upgrade the capacitors or not.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #530 of 1,468
Well I love every second with Icon Audio HP8 mkii, that being said, I am looking for an upgrade now. First my plan is to change the Ecc82 tube. I am thinking the Amperex bugle boy Holland made 12au7(ecc82). I will try that first and maybe in the future I will do the capacitors upgrade and I am thinking between Mundorf supreme silver gold oil and Jantzen Silver Gold. Have anyone tried these? I am happy with Shuguang treasure for now but could look for Psvane cv181 in the future.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #531 of 1,468
Congrats on the new amp! As you already know the Icon Audio HP8 MKII responds very well to tube rolling and to a better capacitors upgrade. I had the Mundorf supreme silver oil installed. I was also thinking about the silver gold oil but thought I'd save a little money. I think both are excellent. In terms of input tubes, the Mazda from France, Telefunken from Germany and the Dutch bugle boy are all very good. For the 6SN7 tubes I really like the American NOS, Ken-Rad, Tung -Sol being my favorites.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #532 of 1,468
Hi Robert, thanks for your kind word. I will consider your suggestion. I just open up the back of the amp, it already upgraded with Jensen copper foil but I believe better capacitors and material will make it even better. I still have not decided what path I should go because I just got it today and really enjoy it as now. I manage to find the Amperex bugle boy for a good price so that would be my first upgrade to replace the electro hamornix ecc82.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #533 of 1,468
Well I love every second with Icon Audio HP8 mkii, that being said, I am looking for an upgrade now. First my plan is to change the Ecc82 tube. I am thinking the Amperex bugle boy Holland made 12au7(ecc82). I will try that first and maybe in the future I will do the capacitors upgrade and I am thinking between Mundorf supreme silver gold oil and Jantzen Silver Gold. Have anyone tried these? I am happy with Shuguang treasure for now but could look for Psvane cv181 in the future.

Just thought I d mention that a year ago I had emailed Icon Audio regarding options for replacement of the driver tube and they were not in favour of using an ECC82 in place of the ECC83 as it draws more current or heat- it's not electrically the same. I too had used one for a week before checking with them -a Gold Lion 12AU7-, it sounded so pristine but clearly was making the amp and the 6SN7 s overheat...

Many great options to play with with ECC83 so why take a risk?

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #534 of 1,468
Thanks Nik. Do you have any recommendation on what ecc83 tubes to look for?

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #535 of 1,468
Thanks Nik. Do you have any recommendation on what ecc83 tubes to look for?
Of course but recommendations are very much based on personal taste :)
Very decent: Gold Lion
Very lively and accurate/resolving: Tungsram
Incredibly insightful and detailed: Telefunken
goosebump inducing midrange magic and musically haunting: Mullard MC1

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #537 of 1,468
Update:

I just receive the Telefunken Ecc83 West Germany. First impression is "WOW!" the mid range is like a steak well seasoned and cook to perfection. Musical and spacious. As @Nik74 recommend, I look forward to Mullard MC1 which is very rare and expensive Ecc83(12ax7). Maybe I will listen to it for a month before making a decision to upgrade the capacitors.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #538 of 1,468
@theBlackKey , your new valves will shine so much more efficiently with the new capacitors, those have to be replaced sooner rather than later .
Glad you re enjoying :)

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #539 of 1,468
Yes, I think so, the capacitors right now is already Jensen updated by Icon Audio, but I feel it could have been much better with Mundorf silver gold oil or Jantzen silver gold, I have the experience with Mundorf silver gold oil myself, the capacitors actually bring details and clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back