Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Jan 21, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #541 of 1,499
Would some one be so kind as to photograph the location of the capacitors that are being upgraded? Also, Jensen capacitor values and their specifications? If this has already been discussed just point me in the right direction. I would really appreciate that.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #542 of 1,499
I opened mine a couple of days a go but forgot to take a picture of it. I will try to do it tomorrow. In the meantime, I can tell you the value of two capacitors, it is 0.33uf.

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #545 of 1,499
@Nik74 How would you compare your current amp Luxman SQ-N 100 to the Icon audio hp8 mkii. I would love to listen to your opinion.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #546 of 1,499
@Nik74 How would you compare your current amp Luxman SQ-N 100 to the Icon audio hp8 mkii. I would love to listen to your opinion.

They are both great amplifiers but to my ears the Luxman is a significant step up in transparency, layering and detail retrieval. Both are musically involving with the luxman having faultless PRAT while the icon is generally more laid back.
I tend to listen to the Luxman more these days also because it is primarily a speaker amp and in that way more versatile.
An area where the Icon seems to have the upper hand is the size of the soundstage which especially in terms of height and depth can be almost overwhelming, whilst the other one is a little more contained.
Maybe I should do a direct comparison at some point for more detailed impressions.
Right now if I had to choose one it would be the Luxman, but as it is I m happy I have both.

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #547 of 1,499
Wel friends, I recently was fortunate enough to grab a good matched pair of PSVane cv181 II, I just spend few hours with it and so far, compared to the Shuguang Treasure, The Psvance has a touch more details. Most noticeably is the bass regions, treble is also a bit more details but still remains smooth. It seems that the Psvane make the holographic effect stronger and layering of instruments are very nice as welll. I also purchase the Psvane 12ax7 ii but I think personally I prefer the Telefunken more. Maybe, the tube needs burn in time to reach its full potential. I will report back my full experience before upgrading the capacitors to Mundorf.
oKNd0kB.jpg

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #548 of 1,499
Wel friends, I recently was fortunate enough to grab a good matched pair of PSVane cv181 II, I just spend few hours with it and so far, compared to the Shuguang Treasure, The Psvance has a touch more details. Most noticeably is the bass regions, treble is also a bit more details but still remains smooth. It seems that the Psvane make the holographic effect stronger and layering of instruments are very nice as welll. I also purchase the Psvane 12ax7 ii but I think personally I prefer the Telefunken more. Maybe, the tube needs burn in time to reach its full potential. I will report back my full experience before upgrading the capacitors to Mundorf.
oKNd0kB.jpg

Looks great! I noticed your telefunken tube looks to be the triple-mica type. These are thought to be the best that telefunken produced. I also like your thinking in living with your system and the current configuration before you do the caps upgrade. This will allow you to learn and get to know the sound as it is. I think if you lump too many upgrades together it becomes harder to understand how your system responds to changes. It's also fun to have a few things in mind saving for the future.

Either way, thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on tweaks and future upgrades. Cheers!

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #553 of 1,499
After 50 hours of listening and tube rolling between Shuguang Treasure 50 years anniversary 6sn7 and Psvane CV181 Tii, I come to conclusion that I will stick with Shuguang 6sn7 and Psvane 12AX7, the reason for it is Psvane though are superior in terms of clarity, details, and soundstage, I find the soundstage are too huge for me. I makes my listening section less enjoyable and after 3 days listening to it when I switched back to Shuguang 6sn7 the music sounds more engaging and natural. As I believe audio is very subjective, you spend a lot of money for it and still it does not mean you will be happy with it. For me the next step is in the next two weeks I will order the Mundorf silver gold oil and prepare to rolling these capacitors in exchange with the current Jensen copper foil. I will report the whole process of upgrading these caps. Have a great day and great listening section.

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #555 of 1,499
I'm glad you're enjoying you Icon!

I've recently also changed my headphone listening system up. With everything stay-at-home now I've really had some great time to really enjoy it too. I've changed the tubes around and have been very happy with a great combination of NOS tube set. Really a lovely amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back