Ich Liebe Dich dt770 Pro - A Review
Apr 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PanamaHat

500+ Head-Fier
Quick background:
I started on head-fi nearly a year and a half ago. Since then I bought a few cans and sold most of them since they didn't have what I was looking for. At this point I trust my ears are experienced and fair at making judgement.

First Impressions:
I vaguely remember not enjoying them out of the box. The treble was a bit strident and the bass was quite boomy. I let them burn in at 8 hour intervals for about two weeks before I really started to enjoy them. Call it headphone burn-in or brain burn-in, but it worked. So I lived with them for 2 months; time to review.

150 hours later:
"Holy Beyers Batman!" Here goes the review. I used mostly .flac files running from Winamp for this review.

Amping - Necessary
This may be a caveat for some, but is fundamental in my review. I'm running the dt770 pro 80 from my Project Sunrise II. It sounds wimpy and muddy out of my laptop and worse out of my iphone. I can imagine tubes would be preferable for these headphones to smooth out the highs and bring the mids forward. 

Build Quality - 10/10
We all know these are built like a tank.

Comfort - 8.5/10
These aren't eactly the last word in comfort though they do a good job. I found that keeping the headband stretched on some books for a few nights really helps reduce clamp, but the pads are still pretty stiff. I do find these to be more comfortable than the ath-m50 with stock pads and the hfi580 with velour pads.

Isolation - 9/10
Surprisingly good. I wasn't expecting them to isolate so well since they're ported for better bass response. However, they're good. I normally have a fan running 24/7 in my dorm room (3rd floor, hot beyond belief) and they do a good job of blocking out most of the noise. When I'm listening at a moderate level I find that they even muffle a lot of my mechanical keyboard strokes. 

Channel Balance - 10/10
A lot of people don't include this in reviews, but I feel like I should especially since I have some experience with one or two headphones having pretty bad channel imbalance. Sometimes people even accuse Beyer quality control of not being up to snuff because of some channel imbalance. Luckily, my pair is perfect so I don't have to stress.

Bass - 9.5/10
Easily my favorite aspect of this headphone. The bass makes every variety of EDM  and hip-hop enjoyable. At times it teeters on boomy, but in general it's well defined and separate from the other elements in the music. It's omniscient and gutteral yet detailed and dynamic, easily the best bass I've heard thus far. 
Song Impression: Magnetic Man - The Bug
Sounded gorgeous, deeep bass tone in the singers voice sounded very good. The somewhat complex beat in the background also sounded great. The breakdown toward the end makes me smile.

Mids - 8.5/10
The mids sound surpsingly lush. I was expecting them to sound very recessed per the v-shaped frequency response, but they were quite pleasant. They are not sharp and strident for vocals as I've experienced in other headphones, nor do they smother vocals like the hfi2400 I had. Rather they handle most vocals well. I regularly enjoy Adele, Amy Winehouse, PJ Harvey, and Sufjan Stevens with these cans. 

Treble - 9/10
I have to note that for best treble experience you should wear them more forward so that the back of your ear is touching the back of the earpads. This subdues the highs in many situations and helps bring out the lovely mids. I'd say after burn in the treble become quite smooth. Hints of sharpness don't linger and they are overall enjoyable, quite detailed as well I must say.
Song Impression: Lana Del Rey - This Is What Makes Us Girls
I like to use the song to gauge sibilance. These headphones do a good job of keeping all the S's in "This is what makes us girls" from sounding overly sharp.

Soundstage/Imaging/Separation - 8.5/10
The soundstage is good for most kinds of music except large live performances because they have a chamber kind of soundstage. Intimate performances sound superb. Imaging and separation is nice as well.
Song Impression: Monolake - Toku
Listening to this song, I get a sense that I'm in the center of the creepy, ethereal space the song creates. I can pinpoint every noise with precision.

Value - 10/10
Stop playing games and just buy them! Ugh

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
this review is very long my head aches. but i think your passion for headphones is really amazing. why dont you write a review about something like the perfect cup of tea

Huh?... This is not a long review at all. If you don't want to read, well... you are in the wrong place. This is a forum, where text is the majority. Anyway... Great review PanamaHat, very good read and I agree with most of what you hear. They are great headphones indeed.

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Yea that was pretty left field, though I do enjoy tea very much. Thanks Greed. This my first shot at a review and the first headphone I honestly think I'll be keeping in my stable.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 14
It's not my main music headphone, but I use it slightly more than my A900X, because I use it for movies, games, and music, too, even though it doesn't quite have the same level of clarity as the Audio Technica. It's decent for a lot of things, and has fun bass, and is inoffensive for all types of music. And it's more comfortable than the A900X.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 14
Yea I know what you mean. That's my favorite kind of headphone, the kind that does everything alright and doesn't fatigue physically or sonically. This is sort of what wooed me about the px100ii, but I gave those away haha. I suspect that when I upgrade to a better headphone in terms of technicalities I'll come back to the dt770 now and again just for the sheer fun factor 
dt880smile.png

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 14
Nice review and I can't disagree with any of it.
I used these as my sole headphones for a year until I upgraded to Thunderpants.
Still have my pair and still love them.
I changed out my velour pads for aviation leather ones (kind of a pain to order) and it provided a bit of an upgrade IMO.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 14
I own these 'phones.... and have had them since they were first introduced many years ago (5?)... Love 'em when plugged in right... but can't stand them without the right pre-amp.

Still going strong huh? Sweet :) What's your set up?

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Nice review and I can't disagree with any of it.
I used these as my sole headphones for a year until I upgraded to Thunderpants.
Still have my pair and still love them.
I changed out my velour pads for aviation leather ones (kind of a pain to order) and it provided a bit of an upgrade IMO.

Gotta try the leather pads some day. I tried the clear gel pads for about a week, but they were noisey and too hot.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Gotta try the leather pads some day. I tried the clear gel pads for about a week, but they were noisey and too hot.

Keep in mind that the pads listed on their site as accessories are "pleather" (fake leather) and should be avoided.
They made real leather pads for the aviation phones and for the discontinued Manufactur version.
The only way I know of to get them is to email and request it.
The real leather aren't even available under the aviation section any more.
Mine were around $40/pr

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Keep in mind that the pads listed on their site as accessories are "pleather" (fake leather) and should be avoided.
They made real leather pads for the aviation phones and for the discontinued Manufactur version.
The only way I know of to get them is to email and request it.
The real leather aren't even available under the aviation section any more.
Mine were around $40/pr

By any chance, are they a reddish brown?

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
By any chance, are they a reddish brown?

It looks like only one model still offers leather pads, the HS800 Digital.
Did you find a pair of the old Manufactur pads? If so, jump on them. They are really nice.
This is from two years ago. Have no idea as to current availability:

[size=x-small]What color are you interested in. [/size]
[size=x-small]      Please see below the colors we carry for the Genuine Leather ear pads[/size]
[size=x-small]     -black[/size]
[size=x-small]     -Crimson (red)[/size]
[size=x-small]     -Cognac  (brown)[/size]
[size=x-small]    They all run $39.00 per pair plus $10.00 shipping.[/size]

And this is what they look like:
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media//explosionszeichnung/Gaming-MANUFAKTUR-Teile-Parts.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back