IC: Edmonton, Alberta
Sep 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #91 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I confirmed the booking with the SU. Our room will be booked Saturday, September 19, 2009 from 2:00PM to 5:00PM in room 420 in the student's union building at the University of Alberta. Please spread the word. It's a shame you can't join us, wantmyf1.

So is this an easy building to find?? where's the map
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing those I've met before and meeting some new people.
Also if anyone from Calgary needs a ride (or anyone on the way, Red Deer etc) I have room for one or two more.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #92 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely, you can come. The more, the merrier. Only one day left, everyone!

Oh, and I'm a DIYer. What you're about to witness is someone who needs to build a BantamDAC in a day. Will he do it?!

And you're an Edmontonian! I have a dilemma. You see, I own a pair of Grados that desperately need a recable. I'll pay for the parts, of course... Information in my sig via the 'Busted Grados!' link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is this an easy building to find?? where's the map
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing those I've met before and meeting some new people.
Also if anyone from Calgary needs a ride (or anyone on the way, Red Deer etc) I have room for one or two more.

University of Alberta Campus Map
University of Alberta Campus Map - Student's Union Bldg

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #93 of 160
I'm coming!

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #94 of 160
Glad to hear it devin_mm I look forward to hearing some of your stuff.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #96 of 160
Ah, shoot! As I had feared, I will be away tomorrow evening as I will be heading to the Mountains for one last weekend of quality "outdoor time" before the frost hits. Sorry all! I was very much enjoying the prospect of this. Have a good time. I'll definitely do my best to be present at the next one. Thanks for the initial heads-up ABathingApe!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #97 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear it devin_mm I look forward to hearing some of your stuff.

+1, very excited now lol

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #98 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're an Edmontonian! I have a dilemma. You see, I own a pair of Grados that desperately need a recable. I'll pay for the parts, of course...

Bring em with you and we'll check em out. I've actually just recently ordered a bunch of cable and connectors so I could probably recable them alongside my MS1i if they really need that.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #99 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bring em with you and we'll check em out. I've actually just recently ordered a bunch of cable and connectors so I could probably recable them alongside my MS1i if they really need that.

Excellent; I'll be sure to bring them.

I'm also looking for a way to add some isolation and bass depth to my Grados. There's a possibility of me, at some point, designing a custom housing for my Grados, but that's far off, so I'm looking into DIY pads and possibly some kind of noise-absorbing grille cover. If any of the attendees have any information or suggestions about either of these mods, I'd really like to hear it.

Also, are there any good Audiophile/HiFi shops in Edmonton?

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #100 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, are there any good Audiophile/HiFi shops in Edmonton?

I've had some good luck with AudioArk They mainly do speakers and such though, do you have any need for a $40k pair of meridian speakers? They have them on the floor, though they used to have an Orpheus system and it was sold 'dirt cheap' if I remember correctly.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #101 of 160
Hmmm..... I would really like my W5000s recabled I just need the cable (I have a 4-pin XLR end). Where did you order your wire from Joelby?

Oh I could really use a hand moving my stuff in as I am bringing a lot of stuff, I'll organize that when I get there though.

Is anyone bringing a camera? Because I can do that as well.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #102 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had some good luck with AudioArk They mainly do speakers and such though, do you have any need for a $40k pair of meridian speakers? They have them on the floor, though they used to have an Orpheus system and it was sold 'dirt cheap' if I remember correctly.

Yes Audio Ark is a great place. I know National Audio Video carries stuff on the speaker side. More specifically Martin Logan which I'm very interested in. The Gramophone carried Grado's, but I dunno where they went.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #103 of 160
Well according to their website Gramophone moved to 7913 104 St (opening October 1st). They had some AKG stuff too.

Audio Ark has some Grados and Denons.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #104 of 160
Glad to see the discussion heating up. I'm very glad to have you back with us, Devin, and I'd be more than happy to help you move stuff. (I did just destroy myself during my core exercise yesterday, but that's how dedicated I am to this meet.
atsmile.gif
) It's sad that you can't come, sampson, but we will definitely try and have another meet so everyone can join up again.

From what I remember of The Gramophone, they were the place to be in Edmonton for headphones. They carried all the Grados, from the iGrado to GS1K, they had a healthy supply of Stax, they dealt with Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Etymotic and some others, and they had all the very same popular headphones that we talk about on head-fi. I've never been to AudioArk, but I don't think they have much an emphasis on headphones as The Gramophone. Plus, I think the owner was in contact with Todd the Vinyl Junkie. It was a very good place to shop for headphones locally.

This meet is going to be so crazy.
icon10.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #105 of 160
edit: The meet has been moved to the first floor of the Engineering Teaching and Learning Centre!

There was a double booking which I'll investigate, but in case you're wondering why there's an Oxford Seminar meeting, we were double booked. Please head to the Infolink or ask a random student to find out where the ETLC building is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back