IC: Edmonton, Alberta
Sep 21, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #137 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a DIY meet would be great. We could pool info, techniques, etc.

Robin, I think it's high time you relocated to Edmonton!

Absolutely... smt/smd soldering, anyone
devil_face.gif

yep, edmonton's not so bad ... u just have to ignore the fact that the oilers are like the ultrasones of the hockey world...good from far, but far from good...
biggrin.gif
ok, that was probably unfair ... to the ultrasones... they're probably better than that.

d.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #139 of 160
Hey the Oilers could be worse (see: Toronto Maple Laughs)

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #141 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw man, and I was considering Pro 900s.
wink.gif

don't fret ... so was i... & i might still go that route too ... but then again, maybe hd650 ... but maybe not ... i don't know; we'll see how the hf-2 works out, if it ever gets here ... i'm kinda broken right now.
confused_face(1).gif

later,
d.

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #144 of 160
Turntables, eh..?

I have a late '70s/early '80s Kenwood KD-1400(or 4100?) with a new Grado needle (the previous one was busted all-to-hell)... Yet I have no idea if this turntable is worth anything (I don't mean 'sale-wise' I mean whether it has any usability/value). It's not tuned, and I have no idea how to do such a thing. Do Kenwoods have a good reputation (IE, should I invest in getting it tuned?)

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #145 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turntables, eh..?

I have a late '70s/early '80s Kenwood KD-1400(or 4100?) with a new Grado needle (the previous one was busted all-to-hell)... Yet I have no idea if this turntable is worth anything (I don't mean 'sale-wise' I mean whether it has any usability/value). It's not tuned, and I have no idea how to do such a thing. Do Kenwoods have a good reputation (IE, should I invest in getting it tuned?)

I don't personally have any experience with the 4100, but generally speaking some of the kenwood direct drives such as the 500, 770 and 990 and esp. L-07d models, were exceptionally well-built and are still very desirable today. Others were run-of-the-mill budget jobs, but of very serviceable quality and still useful, if not state-of-the-play.

If it has been well-kept and not mishandled, then there is very little to "tune". Apart from gentle polishing, cleaning and dusting, the only physical adjustment required should be cartridge alignment and this can easily be done by yourself (unless you are ham-fisted, in which case leave it to an expert) with the aid of a 'protractor'. See here: Free Stuff

You could also remove the dustcover, rubber mat, platter and bottom plate and examine the internal chassis. Very GENTLE blasts of compressed air and light vacuuming (all from a distance) should remove any accumulated dust, lint, grit, etc. Look at the gearing mechanism(s) to ensure that any lubrication has not dried or caked up. If it has and you are not comfortable with cleaning gears and mechanical assemblies in situ, then consult a knowledgeable TT tech.

Since this is a fully automatic tt and if everything is working properly, then i would leave well enough alone (apart from the above) & you should continue to have many years of enjoyment from this unit.

hth,
d.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #146 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by geetarman49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ABathingApe.... my bad
redface.gif
.... i wanted to meet/greet U & thank you for letting me know about this meet, but it skipped my mad-beef jerky mind.
i won't forget next time.

d.

I was there, with my laptop/HF-2's/iBasso D10 :p. I'll be in that picture you took earlier haha.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #147 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was there, with my laptop/HF-2's/iBasso D10 :p. I'll be in that picture you took earlier haha.

Great... now if everyone would please stop reminding me of their 'in-the-hands' hf-2, i could get on with it (mine still have not been shipped)
confused_face(1).gif
deadhorse.gif

did i hear some hd600's/650's calling my name?
600smile.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #148 of 160
I do enjoy that 'beating a dead horse' gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #149 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by geetarman49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great... now if everyone would please stop reminding me of their 'in-the-hands' hf-2, i could get on with it (mine still have not been shipped)
confused_face(1).gif
deadhorse.gif

did i hear some hd600's/650's calling my name?
600smile.gif

The 650's are definatially nice, but don't forget to recable them!
But my HF-2's which I have in hand, and listened to last night did sound really nice on your little "Indeed". They are two different beasts and there's not that much overlap in sound signature worth having both (or the HD800 wow)

Any good tips on softening the grado bowls??? Joelby had a great tip of washing them in hair conditioner which I'm going to try soon.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #150 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650's are definatially nice, but don't forget to recable them!
But my HF-2's which I have in hand, and listened to last night did sound really nice on your little "Indeed". They are two different beasts and there's not that much overlap in sound signature worth having both (or the HD800 wow)

Any good tips on softening the grado bowls??? Joelby had a great tip of washing them in hair conditioner which I'm going to try soon.

Two (2!) hi-Q phones in my life? hmmm, must have won the lottery, then
tongue_smile.gif
i better check my tix. & the 800s, yes, yes, indeed ...
i better put up a FT notice: 'brand-new hf-2 still sealed' will trade 4 mint hd800' ... hahaha
very_evil_smiley.gif

as for using conditioner, i'd be leery about using anything that "adds" anything to the mix, including scent/perfume. OTOH, if he's been doing this for years w/o degrading the bowls or affecting their lifespan, then by all means...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back