IBM Thinkpad T-42
Sep 14, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #16 of 24
I have a T42 from work too (and a remote secureID login!) and it's awesome. My personal laptop is a Toshiba M45 and I definitely like it's wide & bright screen but the IBM is better in every other way. I feel like it's indestructable and very reliable. The M45 is nice in that regard, but I've had some problems lately coming out of hibernate and the connection to the speakers seems loose--If I pick it up, I hear scartchy satic in the speakers. It also doesn't hurt that the T42 has 2GB of RAM while my personal is 1GB. Same processor as far as I remember.

Sep 14, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #17 of 24
desktop.jpg

Mac vs IBM...the classic debate. I spent years on the road, and short of the powerbook, the T42p is the top of the game. I switch between my powerbooks and my T series for different tasks during the day, now.

Sep 14, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Mac vs IBM...the classic debate. I spent years on the road, and short of the powerbook, the T42p is the top of the game. I switch between my powerbooks and my T series for different tasks during the day, now.

While a nice setup, it's not very practical for me. I dunno. Considering I'll be doing no graphics work, or anything else Macs are known for, I lean towards IBM. But I will be doing a fair amount of music and movie watching, which favors the Macs...

Sep 14, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #19 of 24
My friend was interning at IBM for the summer, so i bought a t43 through their EPP prgmed, saved about 600 bucks before tax=p. ended up being 1300 + shipping, there was no way i was going to get any better of a deal
14" screen with 1400x1050 res
dvd burner
64mb ati x300
4.7 lbs
weeeeeeeeeee=p

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #20 of 24
I love the t43 I got a few months ago. So small and light, especially after my last two computers that weighed over 9lbs.

I don't know if the t42's have this also, but the 'active protection thing' is really cool, and probably solves the harddrive problem

shock.jpg

I agree that they are overpriced, though. I never would have been able to afford one if I hadn't gotten an EPP discount. Luckily they are pretty liberal with the discount, you only have to be a friend of an employee to get it.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 24
I'm a longtime ThinkPad fan, and have owned various iterations of the A, T and X series. They are releasing a widescreen Z series which looks quite nice. I believe it's the first new model release as Lenovo. There are pictures to be found around the web.

And I'd venture to guess that prices will start to creep down as the transition is fuly made to Lenovo. I think prices have come down quite a bit on ThinkPads the past year or so. Check out prices on Newegg and the IBM models are fairly competitive for what they offer.

Sep 14, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
I'm a longtime ThinkPad fan, and have owned various iterations of the A, T and X series. They are releasing a widescreen Z series which looks quite nice. I believe it's the first new model release as Lenovo. There are pictures to be found around the web.

That is SOOO NOT FAIR OMG!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
While a nice setup, it's not very practical for me. I dunno. Considering I'll be doing no graphics work, or anything else Macs are known for, I lean towards IBM. But I will be doing a fair amount of music and movie watching, which favors the Macs...

...I'm sorry, but I just don't understand your statement there. Apparently "macs" are better at movie watching and music listening? How exactly?

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #23 of 24
All us interns got brand new T42 laptops for work over the summer. Great laptop but I killed it running my EM simulations. Pretty much everybody at there had a company issued Thinkpads and every site was inundated with wireless. It was really nice being able to work from any conference room or cafeteria.

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
...I'm sorry, but I just don't understand your statement there. Apparently "macs" are better at movie watching and music listening? How exactly?

Bigger screens, mainly. More suited for multimedia. Although I hadn't heard about the Z-series. Shall have to see. As for music, I was referring more to their holy triumvirate that is the Mac + iPod + iTunes. In all actuality, I doubt I'd use iTunes. I prefer smaller apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back