Sep 13, 2005 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
I am used to BHNF laptops...

B - big
H - heavy
N - noisy
F - fast

I always imagined that I NEEDED the power and the gaming ability. To make my life miserable - they hand me a T-42 at work. This is my first IBM notebook and all I can say is - I am loving it!! I havent played a single game in the last 3-4 months and I think I have reached the point where I dont expect to be playing any in the future...the desire is there but the time isnt...

The T-42 has a CLEAN headphone out...shocking...such a tiny, light laptop with clean sound.

I am very impressed with the T42 and i am thinking of using my employee discount to get one for my brother. The laptop doesnt look like much but it is so well put together. It maintains a classy professional exterior but it goes very well with my current "dress-code" and "corporate image".

Sounds excellent to boot...fired up Foobar and EAC and the fun has begun
cool.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 24
I use a G40, which does everything I demand of it. I treat it badly, both internally and externally, and it continues to perform better than expected.

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 24
IBMs are nice, but the price is not that great.

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 24
maaan this laptop is itty bitty...It is so much more productive when you can walk the corridor while showing off your presentation to a pretty coworker (dont worry...we had the sexual harassment spiel already
rolleyes.gif
).

The battery life is amazing (coming from a Sager
smily_headphones1.gif
) - sure...different laptops built for different purposes...yada yada...but for the first time - I have a useful laptop instead of a gaming accessory. I actually work with this thing...from my cube, from home, in the bus, on the plane...

Loving the T42. Already upgraded the RAM and HDD (thanks tech support
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 24
I love my t42, had it about a year. best screen I've seen SXGA+. Newegg has an R52 that is a good price.

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 24
I have the money put aside for a t43 (512 ram, 60 gig HD, 14" SXGA, extended battery) but right now Im trying to decide how much I actually need it (If at all)

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 24
I work for ibm at amex and amex currently uses t43's and x40's. I love those x40's, so sexy and sleek...and lightweight!

Yes, those T and X series laptops are built for abuse, but the T20 series had a lot of HD issues, mucho crashes at the amex account.

I honestly don't think they are that expensive, at least for amex, they get a T43 for under $1500, same with the X40. It's a steal in my opinion.

Oh, i always forget that Lenovo bought out the hardware division recently.

Sep 14, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 24
LOL... youre still in the honeymoon period I think.

I have the older T40 (older standard Cisco issue). The IBM travelstar HDs crash after 18 months. The plastic panels start to crack after 12 months, so transport it in a well padded laptop bag. Make sure you support it well and evenly across the base when picking it up. never pick it up fully booted, park the HD head by placing it on standby whenever you transport it.

Yes the sound quality is very good too, straight out of the headphone jack. DVD watching is a pleasure.

Battery life with the OEM cell is good for the first 8 months. i upgraded to the 6.6 amp extended pack and like it a lot.

My refresh is due at the end of the year... Looking forward to that T42.

Garrett

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 24
I'll be getting a laptop (probably this Christmas, if not, in the spring, but I'll have to buy that one
biggrin.gif
), and I'm currently debating between an IBM or a Mac. Panasonic Toughbooks and anything from Dynamism are also contenders.

I know, PC vs. Mac is a rather extreme option, but here's how I look at it. If I were to get a PC, I'd put Linux on it. Period. I use it, I know it, I love it. This won't be a gaming PC anyway. However, if I got a Mac, I'd have a better GUI (sorry, but 'tis true), prettier hardware, and little to no chance of problems. Yes, I can fix most any Linux problem I'll run into, but do I want that chance of downtime? If there's a paper due, having to either fix your PC or run and find an open public one is not a welcome idea.

However, Linux offers many tools (yes, TOOLS) that I find useful. Nessus, airetools, nmap... I don't think Mac runs all of them. Probably nmap. But not all the CLI stuff. It may be BSD based, but it's not *nix.

Sep 14, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 24
Using a T41 a I type this, its nice and fully loaded and from work but its a bit to large and heavy for my taste. I prefer sub notebook even if they are not as loaded as I carry it to work with me every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back