IBasso taking portable market?
Oct 17, 2008 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mookowz13

100+ Head-Fier
Is it just me or does it seem like IBasso is cornering the portable amp market these days with a portable for most applications? I mean in the Sub $250 category they seem to easily be a favorite here on the site and I've noticed much less talk about other amps than the IBasso lines.

Most notably I remember not too long ago many people thought you'd be happy with either the Go-Vibe Petite or the D2 but it seems the D2 eventually won out on the popularity.

The only reason I'm inquiring because I have the rarely talked about Leckerton audio UHA-3 which I absolutely love. But with so much popularity surrounding the IBasso lines I can't help but be a little bit curious about their products...
atsmile.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 14
I think "value for money" the iBasso lineup is hard to compete with. I have the original D1 and there is not a more flexible unit on the market today so if the rumors about a D10 that should do everything the D1 did but in a D2/D3 form factor is true that would be another winner and they are supposedly also working on incorporating a SD dap in a D2/D3 style amp.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 14
I think iBasso are very good at what they do. It would be interesting to see what they would come up with if they released a $300-$400 amp. Maybe even a home amp? Who knows!

nc8000, where did you hear about this D10?

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 14
It has been mentioned a couple of times by others in other threads but there is nothing on iBasso's own site and I have not seen any evidence of it outside of head-fi so consider it pure rumor for the moment.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 14
They are probably hard to beat value for money wise. Hence they score a large margin of the portable amplifier market these days.

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 14
I do realize IBasso has pretty much a portable line that caters to everyone's tastes and that no doubt their price/performance must be great or else they wouldn't have such an awesome reputation on here.

But once again can they really outshine all others in the same price bracket? Once again I don't have a great amp experience (Just my leckerton and a friend's PA2v2) but for example in the terms of the $200 portable dac/amp range can it really be the BEST bang for the buck? I'm perfectly happy with my Leckerton but I rarely hear about it on the forums here other than in Skylab and Mr. Arroyo's review and the Go-vibe petite has gotten less attention around here as of late. So while I know that Ibasso is definitely do an awesome job with their amps I guess what I'm getting at is are they really THAT good compared to their competitors in the same price range?

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 14
Based on my listening comparisons with my other portable (and non-portable) amps, Yes, they are that good. They have been steadily improving their sound quality and features based upon customer feedback and requests.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No that this is a scientific measure, but the portable rig picture thread here does not show that many iBassos...

Good point. Those threads are dominated by RSA amps.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 14
There will be a D10.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been mentioned a couple of times by others in other threads but there is nothing on iBasso's own site and I have not seen any evidence of it outside of head-fi so consider it pure rumor for the moment.

A better way to confirm any product launch is to send email to their rather responsive support email address. This is a rare Chinese company which take customer feedback/query seriously.

Since this company is located in China, I suppose local websites hosted in China provide more up to date information on their products. Of course most of these local websites are in Chinese which is a big language barrier.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 14
Yes their email support is usually pretty good but as I'm not in the market for an amp I have not contacted them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back