iBasso T3, T4, or Fiio E7? Which would appeal to a basshead like me?
Nov 12, 2009 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BIGHMW

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys (and gals),

I was just wondering which of the three mentioned amps you would recommend as both an upgrade to my Fiio E5, as well as allow me to free up some of my lineup and gear (like my no longer-used Boostaroo Revolution, and my Meier Corda Headsix), and also, I notice these amps work extremely well with IEM's (as photo-evidence on both the T3 and T4 reveal), as well as with medium-impedence cans like my 24-ohm Sony MDR-V700DJ and -D777SL, but will it work with other phones up to and including 300 ohms, like my MDR-NC60 and my MDR-NC300D should I want to add anymore to my arsenal?

Also, when it comes to being able to boost bass on some of my units, which one will boost it more? I am looking forward to buying either of these amps once they are out (the T4 and T3 are out now, while the Fiio E7 will be about next month according to what I've read right hee on Head-Fi)

Also, I know these amps work well with line-out sources like I have on my NW-HD5 DAP, but will they work with phones outputs, too, like my E5 does?

And one last question, which will physically look well when velcroed to the back of the HD5?

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 8
Having owned the T4 and the FiiO E5 I definitely like the T4 better. It's a cleaner amp and the bass-boost does a good job without clipping or distortion that I often got on the FiiO. The iBasso unit clearly has more advanced architecture.

I wouldn't recommend the T4 or any FiiO unit for 300 Ohm headphones, they just don't have enough juice to run them cleanly.

They will both work via line out or the HP out.

I attached a small piece of velcro to the back of my T4 and it worked nicely to attach the amp to any of my iPods.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 8
T4 is definitely an upgrade from E5, just not 4 times better for the price difference (but that is expected in the audio world of course). I like my T4 and currently it compensates my 3MOVE as my on-the-go amp. Not sure I will pick up T3 any time soon (need to wait for local dealer to pick it up first). Hopefully I can give you an answer on T4 vs. E7 as I am probably going to get the chance to audition the E7 before it is out.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T4 is definitely an upgrade from E5, just not 4 times better for the price difference (but that is expected in the audio world of course). I like my T4 and currently it compensates my 3MOVE as my on-the-go amp. Not sure I will pick up T3 any time soon (need to wait for local dealer to pick it up first). Hopefully I can give you an answer on T4 vs. E7 as I am probably going to get the chance to audition the E7 before it is out.

What I am also looking forward to is also how it (the E7) would look velcro-mounted to the back of my NW-HD5, as I believe they are almost both the same size.

Oh, and, don't forget to take pics of your E7 when you do get to audition it, I am sure a lot of us who own DAP's (HD5, iPod, Zune, etc.) would love to see how it would compliment them when "piggy-backed" to our units. Thanks.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best sounding micro amp is the T3...check the reviews. I found it was very very very close behind the sound of the full size portable D4

If this^ is the case, get the T3, because the D4 sounds amazing. I just adore it.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 8
dongringo, if jamato hadnt confirmed paulybatz' recommendation re the T3, I wouldnt have ordered it. If you 'check the reviews', most of the posts come from pb himself !
evil_smiley.gif

You have an amp that you are happy with and that is the main thing. Its easy to get caught up in the Head-Fi hype monster, but the asking price of the T3 makes it a much more palatable gamble than many of its competitors. Until I hear it for myself, the T3 is just another portable amp - I hope to be able to post some impressions later this week.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dongringo, if jamato hadnt confirmed paulybatz' recommendation re the T3, I wouldnt have ordered it. If you 'check the reviews', most of the posts come from pb himself !
evil_smiley.gif

You have an amp that you are happy with and that is the main thing. Its easy to get caught up in the Head-Fi hype monster, but the asking price of the T3 makes it a much more palatable gamble than many of its competitors. Until I hear it for myself, the T3 is just another portable amp - I hope to be able to post some impressions later this week.

yes... i'm also looking forward to Skylab's impressions of it. that will be the decider for me, i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back