iBasso SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2
Sep 26, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #241 of 281
DSC-0019.jpg

The wait is over, my review has been published: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-sr3.26247/review/31872/
@Mhog55 @igniter @JCMoya68 @wkc5657

This one is special. I really enjoyed writing it =) I took a drastically different approach, and instead of my typical precisely structured and technically-focused approach, I chose more of a storytelling one that reinforces the points I've made in my SR2 review. For the sound performance section, I specifically chose to focus on comparing the SR2 & SR3, so keep that in mind. There's a rich description of how both headphones sound, but I didn't include my usual music references.

I'd describe the SR2 as cinematic, due to it's highly engaging and intimate sound performance, while the SR3 as reference-grade/audiophile, due to it's finely refined sound.
The boss has spoken :beyersmile:

Oct 1, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #242 of 281
If I'd say what's the character of the sound of the SR3...I would compare two things...piano on one side and organs on the other...SR3 would be the organs...and Sennheiser 660S2 would be the piano.
It sounds completely different than S2. It might be an excellent option for those who don't like sharp-sounding headphones.

Lots of fun...but not as exciting as S2; more laid back...but with attitude, powerful, also a bit softer, and mysterious.

Veeery comfortable! From what I read about SR2, having them both could be a very good match...but there is only one caveat for me...I like the design of the first gen so much!

Cheers!

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #243 of 281
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #244 of 281
Great review! Unfortunately, it's very hard to find this headphone in stock. I saw one on Ebay today from Japan, and all the US dealers either don't carry it or are sold out. Not sure why iBasso isn't keeping up with stock

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #247 of 281
Oct 19, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #249 of 281
I have the CB17 cable for my SR2 so I can run it balanced. Both the original SR3 and that cable are very well made. The colors are different, the CB17 is copper and not silver plated. Neither is microphonic. One is slightly more flexible than the other, but I'm not at home right now and can't remember which is which, but I think the CB17 is more flexible.

Oct 20, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #251 of 281
Anyone compared CB17 cable with original cable from SR3? I can buy both in similar price and not sure wich chose. Do not care about sound quality but finishing quality, microphonics etc.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live and where can you buy the original cable from ?
Here in Germany, I only find the CB17 cable.

Oct 21, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #254 of 281
@Paul - iBasso
Is there a way to get a replacement cable for these ?
I know any dual 3.5mm-4.4mm will work but I'd like to get the original if possible.

Thanks.
We have the cable. The cost is 150 USD plus shipping.

Paul

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 21, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #255 of 281
We have the cable. The cost is 150 USD plus shipping.

Paul
Do you also sell replacement cables for the original SR-1? I have that model but one side cuts out a little unless I'm very still with the headphones on my head. I tried to use my Shure SRH-1540 cables (which also use MMCX) but if I remember correctly, they weren't recessed enough to fit into the headphone cups, unfortunately.

I have a balanced MMCX cable also from a third party, made for the SR-1, but those also cut out a little on that side -- is it perhaps something like I need to clean that socket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back