iBasso SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2
Aug 15, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #226 of 281
I've gone back and forth with the pads on both... voja, don't you mean the SR2 is warmer?

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #228 of 281
I've gone back and forth with the pads on both... voja, don't you mean the SR2 is warmer?
When comparing SR2 with SR3 with the stock pads, I find the SR3 to be warmer. I can confidently say that this stands true for the treble region, while I'm yet to settle my findings for the mid range. The two most audible differences between the SR2 and SR3 are the lows and highs. The lows are significantly faster and more responsive on the SR3, so much so that they are tactile-sounding in comparison to SR2. The highs, especially audible in percussion, are brighter and more forward on the SR2. I also found this to be the case for upper mids. Vocal peaks are definitely sharper on the SR2's, but I think the same can be said for instruments.

My current findings are pretty in-line with the conclusions I drew from the two frequency response charts provided by iBasso:
Although the frequency response charts do not share the same same y-axis unit scale, we can draw the following conclusion:
SR3 has less sub-bass, in particular it is 2-4dB quieter between 20-90Hz
SR3 has a small 'dip' at ~1.5kHz
SR3 has a major dip between 2kHz and 3kHz
SR3 is sharper at 4kHz-6kHz
SR3 has a bigger dip at 6.5kHz

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #229 of 281
When comparing SR2 with SR3 with the stock pads, I find the SR3 to be warmer. I can confidently say that this stands true for the treble region, while I'm yet to settle my findings for the mid range. The two most audible differences between the SR2 and SR3 are the lows and highs. The lows are significantly faster and more responsive on the SR3, so much so that they are tactile-sounding in comparison to SR2. The highs, especially audible in percussion, are brighter and more forward on the SR2. I also found this to be the case for upper mids. Vocal peaks are definitely sharper on the SR2's, but I think the same can be said for instruments.

My current findings are pretty in-line with the conclusions I drew from the two frequency response charts provided by iBasso:
Which SR2 pads are you referring to in your comparison? I'm a little confused about the warmth in the treble region comment, can you elaborate? Warmth generally refers to the low mids from my understanding.

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #230 of 281
Which SR2 pads are you referring to in your comparison? I'm a little confused about the warmth in the treble region comment, can you elaborate? Warmth generally refers to the low mids from my understanding.
The stock ear-pads with smaller perforation, both the SR2 and SR3 come with them pre-installed. I'm a non-native English speaker, but I generally try to stay accurate with the audio jargon. Throughout my whole writing career, I used "warm" and "bright" as a spectrum. The brighter something sounds, the sharper it sounds, the more pronounced the edges are. The warmer something sounds, the blunter the edges are. I use these terms to describe both the mid-range and the top end (treble). For example, if a particular frequency/range in the mids/highs stuck out, I'd describe it as bright[er], whereas if it sounded flat and unpronounced, I'd describe it as warm[er]. I most often use these terms to describe the upper mid-range and treble. In this case, I was referring to percussion.

Hi-hats, cymbals, snares, tambourines, triangles, these are the instruments I am referring to when I say percussion—at least these are the instruments that were present in the tracks I was listening to. When a headphone is too warm, it might not capture the authentic sound quality and timbre of these instruments, often causing it to sound boring. In contrast, when a headphone is too bright, these instruments are too forward and unpleasant to the ear. Neither the SR2 or the SR3 fall on either extreme end of this spectrum. It also comes down to personal preference, as it usually does in this hobby. Personally, I like brighter percussion since it captures the fine nuances in these instruments, it gives them texture and the correct timbre.

I use these two terms to describe quantity, while I'd use something such as speed to describe quality. Just because something is bright, doesn't mean it's snappy and fast; just because something is warm, doesn't mean it's loose and slow.

Don't know whether I got my point across but I gave it my best effort. Hopefully I cleared up any confusion.

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #231 of 281
The stock ear-pads with smaller perforation, both the SR2 and SR3 come with them pre-installed. I'm a non-native English speaker, but I generally try to stay accurate with the audio jargon. Throughout my whole writing career, I used "warm" and "bright" as a spectrum. The brighter something sounds, the sharper it sounds, the more pronounced the edges are. The warmer something sounds, the blunter the edges are. I use these terms to describe both the mid-range and the top end (treble). For example, if a particular frequency/range in the mids/highs stuck out, I'd describe it as bright[er], whereas if it sounded flat and unpronounced, I'd describe it as warm[er]. I most often use these terms to describe the upper mid-range and treble. In this case, I was referring to percussion.

Hi-hats, cymbals, snares, tambourines, triangles, these are the instruments I am referring to when I say percussion—at least these are the instruments that were present in the tracks I was listening to. When a headphone is too warm, it might not capture the authentic sound quality and timbre of these instruments, often causing it to sound boring. In contrast, when a headphone is too bright, these instruments are too forward and unpleasant to the ear. Neither the SR2 or the SR3 fall on either extreme end of this spectrum. It also comes down to personal preference, as it usually does in this hobby. Personally, I like brighter percussion since it captures the fine nuances in these instruments, it gives them texture and the correct timbre.

I use these two terms to describe quantity, while I'd use something such as speed to describe quality. Just because something is bright, doesn't mean it's snappy and fast; just because something is warm, doesn't mean it's loose and slow.

Don't know whether I got my point across but I gave it my best effort. Hopefully I cleared up any confusion.
I think it makes sense. Generally in audio terms from my experience, description words are just opposites. Warm - Cold, Sharp - Dull, Bright - Dark, etc.

Aug 15, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #232 of 281
Generally in audio terms from my experience, description words are just opposites.
That's exactly it! Now that you pointed it out, makes total sense... it's one of those things that we are so used to seeing and using that we're not even aware of it most of the time.

Warm - Cold, Sharp - Dull, Bright - Dark, etc.
...Wow, and here I am using Warm - Bright. I don't know, describing something as "cold" just doesn't sound right, it doesn't get the same point across. Perhaps this is why I always used Warm - Bright as a spectrum. On the other hand, if I were to call a headphone dark, it would usually be to describe increased low end and decreased top end. I guess I became so comfortable with using the two terms that I'll likely continue doing so, they just make sense to describe what I have in my mind and what my ears are hearing 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aug 15, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #233 of 281
That's exactly it! Now that you pointed it out, makes total sense... it's one of those things that we are so used to seeing and using that we're not even aware of it most of the time.

...Wow, and here I am using Warm - Bright. I don't know, describing something as "cold" just doesn't sound right, it doesn't get the same point across. Perhaps this is why I always used Warm - Bright as a spectrum. On the other hand, if I were to call a headphone dark, it would usually be to describe increased low end and decreased top end. I guess I became so comfortable with using the two terms that I'll likely continue doing so, they just make sense to describe what I have in my mind and what my ears are hearing 🤷🏻‍♂️
The tricky part is that all of these terms are typically associated with a certain portion of the frequency spectrum. Several years ago I found something that resembled an audio jargon dictionary. Anyways, just keep doing what you do. If you think their might be any confusion, simplify and explain.
For example, with the stock, small perforated SR2 pads, I find the upper mids and lower treble rather dull. Almost like a veil of sorts to keep things from truly coming through. With the large hole pads, instruments that fall under these frequencies are more absolute and transparent. My only complaint with these pads is that the low end rumble and mid bass slam/attack takes a bit of a hit, making things a bit more reserved, yet with better definition.
I'm probably gonna have to try the SR3 eventually, but atm, I have two other headphones on my mind first. The 109 Pro, and the XTC. I have an open back XTC on loan. First listen was last night, and I was quite impressed. Looking forward to the 2nd session this evening.

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #234 of 281
Language. [sigh] To me, "warm" has always meant that the bass frequencies are emphasized, along with lower midrange. "Dark" means that the treble is de-emphasized, along with the upper mid-range. "Bright" means the treble is emphasized. Mixing up different native languages and trying to use words for sound that are intended for tactile or visual senses makes things even worse!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #235 of 281
Language. [sigh] To me, "warm" has always meant that the bass frequencies are emphasized, along with lower midrange. "Dark" means that the treble is de-emphasized, along with the upper mid-range. "Bright" means the treble is emphasized. Mix up different native languages and trying to use words for sound that are intended for tactile or visual senses makes things even worse!
No doubt. Still beats watching a Z review though.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #237 of 281
I think there is a major difference between labeling a headphone as "warm" and using "warm" to describe the quality of a particular frequency/range. The misunderstanding is at my fault, since I did say that SR3 is warmer...

What I really meant to say is that the treble is warmer. In my articles I always provide context and explain what I mean by this. But I will say that I almost exclusively use this term to either describe mid-range or treble qualities. Most definitions explain it in the context of a headphone's sound signature, as is the case with Headphonesty's definition.

TL;DR — SR3 is not warm!

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #238 of 281
I think there is a major difference between labeling a headphone as "warm" and using "warm" to describe the quality of a particular frequency/range. The misunderstanding is at my fault, since I did say that SR3 is warmer...

What I really meant to say is that the treble is warmer. In my articles I always provide context and explain what I mean by this. But I will say that I almost exclusively use this term to either describe mid-range or treble qualities. Most definitions explain it in the context of a headphone's sound signature, as is the case with Headphonesty's definition.

TL;DR — SR3 is not warm!
Does it have some mid bass kick? How does the upper bass and low mids compare with the SR2? I'm sure this depends on pad selection as well.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #239 of 281
DSC-0019.jpg

The wait is over, my review has been published: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-sr3.26247/review/31872/
@Mhog55 @igniter @JCMoya68 @wkc5657

This one is special. I really enjoyed writing it =) I took a drastically different approach, and instead of my typical precisely structured and technically-focused approach, I chose more of a storytelling one that reinforces the points I've made in my SR2 review. For the sound performance section, I specifically chose to focus on comparing the SR2 & SR3, so keep that in mind. There's a rich description of how both headphones sound, but I didn't include my usual music references.

I'd describe the SR2 as cinematic, due to it's highly engaging and intimate sound performance, while the SR3 as reference-grade/audiophile, due to it's finely refined sound.

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #240 of 281
A superb review! And it confirmed for me why I have both the SR3 and SR2.:k701smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back