iBasso SR2 Reaching for more music.
Nov 12, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #76 of 205
Has anyone seen any other measurements besides ibassos own and crinacles? Ibasso's measurement suggest sr2 is very similar to sr1 and crinacles is total opposite.

I've red this and that other 20 pages long thread and I still have no idea of the sr2's soundsignature. Impressions are all over the place from warm and relaxed to shrill and shouty.

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #77 of 205
Has anyone seen any other measurements besides ibassos own and crinacles? Ibasso's measurement suggest sr2 is very similar to sr1 and crinacles is total opposite. I've red this and that other 20 pages long thread and I still have no idea of the sr2's soundsignature. Impressions are all over the place from warm and relaxed to shrill and shouty.

The SR2 is neither warm and relaxed and by no means shrill and shouty IMHO (and I must have missed those impressions...). Maybe it's from radically different sources and since the SR2 has great transparency the source is to blame but honestly I plugged the SR2 from my Lotoo PAW S1 to my DX160 and Hiby R8 and none of those description matches my experience.

I haven't seen and compared graph so maybe someone can comment on that. I remember reading some shops posted SR1 graph for the SR2 so that's more of a mistake than similar graphs unless I am mistaken.

I owned SR1 and SR2 is clearer sounding with great clarity and transparency and also is more resolving to me, it has more bite and also it features superb vocals.
Looking at Crinacle graph, while I am not surprised by the 3kHz peak, I must say I am a bit surprised at the 6KHz peak since I still have to hear any sibilance with the SR2...

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #78 of 205
Has anyone seen any other measurements besides ibassos own and crinacles? Ibasso's measurement suggest sr2 is very similar to sr1 and crinacles is total opposite.

I've red this and that other 20 pages long thread and I still have no idea of the sr2's soundsignature. Impressions are all over the place from warm and relaxed to shrill and shouty.
I'm not hearing warm and relaxed, or shrill and shouty. I'm just hearing what the recording is telling it to do. I don't feel that they favor any particular frequency. These are definitely some of the most resolving dynamic drivers I've encountered. No massive extension on either end, but when the track calls for bass / treble, that's what they do. Not the most articulate or detailed of headphones imo, but just enough to keep them very engaging and enjoyable, without going overboard. I'm not necessarily hearing details I haven't heard before, but they are resolving enough to hear them better than most cans I've owned. I do feel that vocals stand out just a sliver more than instruments and there are moments where the upper mids show off their chops slightly more. Bass is tight, no mid bass bleed, treble may roll off a touch to soon for treble fanatics. These make me want to just listen to and absorb the music, not pick it apart. No fatigue for me - very pleasurable sound. Worth the coin imo if what I describe interests you.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #79 of 205

And also, have you read the other SR2 thread?

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #80 of 205

Anyone saying these are shouty or shrill is either drunk or on acid, if the amp is working correctly. I would compare them to some of the best headphones I have regardless of price. They are right there. Very good sound stage, solid impact/dynamics and wonderful frequency range and timbre.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #81 of 205
Anyone saying these are shouty or shrill is either drunk or on acid, if the amp is working correctly. I would compare them to some of the best headphones I have regardless of price. They are right there. Very good sound stage, solid impact/dynamics and wonderful frequency range and timbre.
But what if I'm drunk, and on acid 🤔

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #82 of 205
But what if I'm drunk, and on acid 🤔
You may hear a sound that you will never recover from. You will drool and people will have to wipe up after you. Not a good outcome but who knows, maybe you will like it. Just wear a bib.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #83 of 205
So I have received CB17 upgrade cable and it appears to be identical to the stock cable except for a 4.4 termination, it's not a bad thing per say as the stock cable is great.

Going balanced on the Hiby R8 I heard significant improvement on soundstage expansion and more precise imaging reaching really stunning level at this price point.... A bit more powerful and controlled bass as well and a tad more energetic treble. I love it!

While I am here, I took some shots of the SR2 for my review (not the CB17 in the pic but...)

IMG_1199.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #84 of 205

Yeah I thought the same thing until I had a chance to listen for myself. The Crinacle graph fits perfectly ie a dynamic semi-open headphone with a strange electrostatic hump around 1k plus some added zing in the treble. The bass is well extended but rather low in the mix compared to the rest of the presentation. Whether that translates into great or poor sound quality seems to be entirely dependant on the ears of the beholder.
To me personally it is together with the new T1 the weirdest voicing I’ve ever heard in a headphone.

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #85 of 205
Yeah I thought the same thing until I had a chance to listen for myself. The Crinacle graph fits perfectly ie a dynamic semi-open headphone with a strange electrostatic hump around 1k plus some added zing in the treble. The bass is well extended but rather low in the mix compared to the rest of the presentation. Whether that translates into great or poor sound quality seems to be entirely dependant on the ears of the beholder.
To me personally it is together with the new T1 the weirdest voicing I’ve ever heard in a headphone.
Thanks! Now I'm sure there are units around that sound like crinacles measurement. When I saw the graph I thought of stax or a gaming headphones that focus on enhancing details such as footsteps. Or that measurement was wrong because of poor seal or faulty unit. It's not unheard tuning for a biocellulose headphone. Sony mdr-cd2000 and sa5000 are bit like that.

However there is a third measurement.

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/ibasso-sr2.php#gsc.tab=0

Screenshot_20201117-155021.jpg

That looks bit similar to ibasso's own graph.

14711-ibasso-sr2-inpage3.jpg

Crinacle

B8824FDD-4FE8-427E-96DB-125B69CD5A14.jpeg

@Paul - iBasso is it possible that alternative pads sr2 has could explain such a big difference?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #86 of 205
Thanks! Now I'm sure there are units around that sound like crinacles measurement. When I saw the graph I thought of stax or a gaming headphones that focus on enhancing details such as footsteps. Or that measurement was wrong because of poor seal or faulty unit. It's not unheard tuning for a biocellulose headphone. Sony mdr-cd2000 and sa5000 are bit like that.

However there is a third measurement.

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/ibasso-sr2.php#gsc.tab=0

Screenshot_20201117-155021.jpg

That looks bit similar to ibasso's own graph.

14711-ibasso-sr2-inpage3.jpg

Crinacle

B8824FDD-4FE8-427E-96DB-125B69CD5A14.jpeg

@Paul - iBasso is it possible that alternative pads sr2 has could explain such a big difference?
I have seen graphs from different reviewers of the SR2 and they are different. There are many variables in measuring and equipment used. All drivers are checked before being used to make sure there is a good match and that they perform as we intend them to.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #87 of 205
I don't know about graphs but I sure hear the SR2 as sounding very natural with no weird peaks out of Hiby R8, a bit clearer on DX160 but still highly coherent.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #88 of 205
So I have received CB17 upgrade cable and it appears to be identical to the stock cable except for a 4.4 termination, it's not a bad thing per say as the stock cable is great.

Going balanced on the Hiby R8 I heard significant improvement on soundstage expansion and more precise imaging reaching really stunning level at this price point.... A bit more powerful and controlled bass as well and a tad more energetic treble. I love it!

While I am here, I took some shots of the SR2 for my review (not the CB17 in the pic but...)

IMG_1199.JPG
They look like they were fashioned after an old Beyerdynamic DT440
1605639839019.png

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #89 of 205
Is the headband and earpads real leather? Wondering if Dekoni will make replacement for them. Are they suitable for watching movies, does the bass go low?
Also I will be much grateful if anyone knows how they compare to one of my favourite open back dynamic driver headphones : Pioneer SE-Master 1.
Thank you twice.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #90 of 205
Headband feels and smells like leather. earpads are super soft I cant 100% tell if its leather or not. but the stock pads are fantastic on it, i'm not sure they need replacing. I tried several pads. Brainwaves Gel + sheepskin, Dekoni LCD angled Velour, Yaxi th900 Velour, everything seems to take away from the sound rather than improve it over Stock. Even the second set is a little 'meh' (to my ears).
I cant fault them. I currently use them as my everyday driver and I replaced Arya for them for music, netflix, gaming, conference calls etc. Took >100hrs for them to burn in, they need a little time to blossom out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back