iBasso SR2 Reaching for more music.
Oct 9, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #31 of 205
I would say they are definitely eagles in a field of chickens. Very special phones indeed. Welcome to the club. I look forward to your impressions.

And the Eagle has landed... couldn't resist :p

From memory SR2 is clearer sounding than SR1 but the same linear philosophy, a very elegant sounding headphone... need to burn in now and enjoy, good to take a rest from IEMs sometimes :)

@Paul - iBasso The second set of pads is different is it ?

Oct 9, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #32 of 205
I would say they are definitely eagles in a field of chickens. Very special phones indeed. Welcome to the club. I look forward to your impressions.

Thanks I am happy so far and it's out of the box first impressions... I might even make this my first headphone review :)

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #33 of 205
Thanks I am happy so far and it's out of the box first impressions... I might even make this my first headphone review :)

That was my impression as well, straight out of the box they already sounded great, and got even better after the burn in. Btw, those are standard 3.5mm TRS earcup connectors, good move changing it from SR1. The only problem, when I have 99.9% IEMs and IEM cables, I don't have too many choices to switch to balanced. Though, found old Beyer T5p 2.5mm balanced cable I can use with SR2. While many desktop amps are SE and stock cable should be sufficient, DAPs like MAX shine better from BAL output, especially for full size headphones. Thus, optional balanced cable, maybe something in heavier gauge and pure copper, would have been great.

Oct 9, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #34 of 205
Yep so far I am quite impressed by the resolution and transparency at this price point, it performs well above my former Focal Elear twice the price at the time I got it...

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #35 of 205
As I spend more time with them and they burn in one thing is very clear : the SR2 is amazing at vocals both male and female timbre is spot on and the tessitura is so lifelike... :heart_eyes:

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #37 of 205
I'll sure post additional impressions when I have cleared a bit of my IEM reviews backlog let me just say that each time I finish my "work" I pick the SR2 up it's a very addictive headphone with impressive price to performance ration and there should be huge buzz around the SR2, they deserve it. I am surprised that more people don't pick one up, they should go ahead an audition they might be surprised even against 1K+ offerings... it's that good!

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #38 of 205
I'll sure post additional impressions when I have cleared a bit of my IEM reviews backlog let me just say that each time I finish my "work" I pick the SR2 up it's a very addictive headphone with impressive price to performance ration and there should be huge buzz around the SR2, they deserve it. I am surprised that more people don't pick one up, they should go ahead an audition they might be surprised even against 1K+ offerings... it's that good!

It’s a killer phone...no question.

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #39 of 205
These look very appealing. I like bio-cellulose drivers. I see they are marketed as semi-open so can I assume that they leak less sound out the back that fully open headphones?

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #40 of 205
These look very appealing. I like bio-cellulose drivers. I see they are marketed as semi-open so can I assume that they leak less sound out the back that fully open headphones?

Actually they are marketed as open back but they don't leak as much as other open back I have owned, also as mentioned by several people they isolate a bit better than most it's really close to semi open that way.

Also like biocellulose drivers, this one retains the linearity but with great transparency and clarity a real treat!

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #41 of 205
Thank you. Are the silver cups rings metal or plastic?

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #42 of 205
Thank you. Are the silver cups rings metal or plastic?
They are aluminum. There is very little plastic on the SR2.

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #43 of 205
They are aluminum. There is very little plastic on the SR2.
That is good to know. Solid housings are so important when you have good drivers. This is where I had a falling out with the Fidelio X3.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #44 of 205
My short review; these are spectacular!

I think they rival some Stax sets I've had in the past for resolution but I don't have those on hand to compare. As some others have said they can be unforgiving on poor quality recordings but otherwise I think they may be my favorite set yet.

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #45 of 205
These are sooooo good.
you want to realize how good.
get a good CD player with optical out
A killer amp DAC
and some Coltrane

These are the most comfortable phones I’ve had. Weightless feel, lying down yields zero pressure.

You can’t beat these. Unless you pay triple the price...then you’re in the law of diminishing returns.

in my opinion. No.

If you haven’t tried an RME ADI2 Pro...it’s a killer all in one. Just like these phones. Drives them and anything perfectly. Even the most difficult phones....and has twin outputs...true twin outputs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back