Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #886 of 915
I tried the second set of pads, but one pad "separated". The edge that goes into the headphone is actually two plies and one came apart.

Just another problem I had with these and I no longer bother posting them all.
You really had some bad luck. My pads, both sets are high quality.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #887 of 915
You really had some bad luck. My pads, both sets are high quality.
Simply a nightmare. However, I do still love the sound! :smile:

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #888 of 915
I know SR1 is not SR2.
But it may share drivers and pad, which mainly decide the sonic perfomance.
These pics are my SR1 base mod (mod is not a correct word bcs of all changes).
1.No more blocking the back of driver ->fully open.
Center of driver's back apply a plug made of foam (tune the bass like Senn does to HD800s).
2. Very thin, oval leather pad from Kaldas RR1. Mounting in hozirontal long axis (I never seen any headphones this way).
This mounting give lager, adjustable soundstage (forward/backward).
Deeper the pad, less clarity and punchy you got.
3. Balance pure silver cable. Gives tiny detail and brighten up a bit.
4. Reverse mount with eliminate of no-need components. Minimize leather headband.

Overal:
Bass: no more bleed to mid. Punchy, solid, clean, fast attack, fast decay. Quick response, well dampening. Good detail bass texture.
Really fat bass respond pure. It just have low freq notes when the track call for it.
Sometimes I must play a low bass notes track to confirm that no failure of bass response
Mid: neutral, clarity, drier than stock sound. No affect by bass bleed.
Highs: no more early roll off or dull. It is just enough to make balance with bass and not to makes a dark/warm tonality

20240204_135908.jpg
20240204_135738.jpg
20240204_135812.jpg

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #889 of 915
In my country the SR3 not available, and i dont know when it will, so i thinking about purchasing the SR2. I read the reviews here, FullBright liked it a lot as i saw.
From my usage case thers a very big plus what the SR2 does and other HP-s not really and it is one thing that didnt really get talked about here...

Where it could be very good for me is that, it has an "enough" soundstage, maybe a little bit more then the full open HD660s WHILE the SR2 seals a LOT!!! Sooo, i could buy it instead a closed back HP and still get somehow decent soundstage and airiness. (and i can still hear my wife when shes shouting, in contrast to a full closed back HP)

I just wanted to share with you my perspective, why the SR2 could be an absolute winner in certain situations.

PS: only question now is that if the SR2 has bigger soundstage than the D5200 what im using now. I think it has to as it is a semi open while the Denon full closed, but if somebody know plz share. :) oh and is it a good exchange?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #890 of 915
In my country the SR3 not available, and i dont know when it will, so i thinking about purchasing the SR2. I read the reviews here, FullBright liked it a lot as i saw.
From my usage case thers a very big plus what the SR2 does and other HP-s not really and it is one thing that didnt really get talked about here...

Where it could be very good for me is that, it has an "enough" soundstage, maybe a little bit more then the full open HD660s WHILE the SR2 seals a LOT!!! Sooo, i could buy it instead a closed back HP and still get somehow decent soundstage and airiness. (and i can still hear my wife when shes shouting, in contrast to a full closed back HP)

I just wanted to share with you my perspective, why the SR2 could be an absolute winner in certain situations.

PS: only question now is that if the SR2 has bigger soundstage than the D5200 what im using now. I think it has to as it is a semi open while the Denon full closed, but if somebody know plz share. :) oh and is it a good exchange?
Definitely. Much bigger out of the head experience than the 5200. 7200 and 9200 as well.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #891 of 915
Oh thats good, i sent back my 9200 it got a lot of praise everywhere, but for me it was veeery forward sounding, everything pushed to me, didnt like that. The 5200 a more laid back style, it feels that it has more stage room, everything a little more far. So if the SR2 is in the same relation but with the 5200, it will be very good for me as a closed hp option. Ty

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #892 of 915
Definitely. Much bigger out of the head experience than the 5200. 7200 and 9200 as well.
AB tested the D5200 and SR2 the whole day from fiio K7 with tripowin granvia copper cable:
- 5200 has more V or U character, the midbass is a tad more prominent, harder punch and the very highs has a more prominent sharpness, metallic edges.
- SR2 more like a L character, midbass elevated, but after that it feels the whole range is just smooth, nothing exaggerated, everything equal and blends together. Highs are like the HD600s highs, very refined, rounded, never sharp or metallic, albeit u hear every detail.
- U hear more detail in the mid section with the SR2 just because nothing elevated and nothing opressed.
- With the 5200 some detail more prominent because the elevated frequencies, but some other opressed.
- Soundstage wise the are about equal, u hear things from the same distance with either of them. Difference only in the stage vertical size, as the SR2 somewhat draw a higher picture in front of u. U have a bigger image but from the same distance as the 5200. As i think of it, its like a 16:9 aspect ratio movie vs a 21:9, i feel it is a good analogy.
- sound leakage of course better with the 5200, literally nothing hearing out from your listening, albeit the SR2 is good too in the regard, with normal listening levels ppl from 2m will not hear just max a little zumzum from the HP. (just that u listening something, but cant hear words or melody)

So overall i think the SR2 is the better HP sound wise, with less flaws, but build quality goes for the 5200.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #893 of 915
AB tested the D5200 and SR2 the whole day from fiio K7 with tripowin granvia copper cable:
- 5200 has more V or U character, the midbass is a tad more prominent, harder punch and the very highs has a more prominent sharpness, metallic edges.
- SR2 more like a L character, midbass elevated, but after that it feels the whole range is just smooth, nothing exaggerated, everything equal and blends together. Highs are like the HD600s highs, very refined, rounded, never sharp or metallic, albeit u hear every detail.
- U hear more detail in the mid section with the SR2 just because nothing elevated and nothing opressed.
- With the 5200 some detail more prominent because the elevated frequencies, but some other opressed.
- Soundstage wise the are about equal, u hear things from the same distance with either of them. Difference only in the stage vertical size, as the SR2 somewhat draw a higher picture in front of u. U have a bigger image but from the same distance as the 5200. As i think of it, its like a 16:9 aspect ratio movie vs a 21:9, i feel it is a good analogy.
- sound leakage of course better with the 5200, literally nothing hearing out from your listening, albeit the SR2 is good too in the regard, with normal listening levels ppl from 2m will not hear just max a little zumzum from the HP. (just that u listening something, but cant hear words or melody)

So overall i think the SR2 is the better HP sound wise, with less flaws, but build quality goes for the 5200.
I got mine SR2 and test it against Fidelio X3 and Neumann NDH30.

Impressions;
Against Fidelio X3, the only better in SR2 is Bass it's deep and High bass is wonderful, transparency is better in SR2, mids, treble, soundstage and stereo image is better on Fidelio X3.
Against Neumann, Bass it's deep and High bass is wonderful, transparency is better in SR2, mids, treble, soundstage height and deep and stereo image is better on Neumann.
SR2 has a very little soundstage no deep and height even worst than my Denon 5000 (Closed Back).
Overall performance is OK but is like the soundstage is vertical parallel and no deep, also there is no space between instrument, Neumann and Fidelio are better for a large margin in those aspects. I like only the bass because of bio driver. So price /performance is not good at all at usd300 will be ok, Now i'm interesting in AUNE AR5000, I'll buy and test it, if someone wants to buy my SR2 with no more than 5 hours of use please contact to me.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #894 of 915
I got mine SR2 and test it against Fidelio X3 and Neumann NDH30.

Impressions;
Against Fidelio X3, the only better in SR2 is Bass it's deep and High bass is wonderful, transparency is better in SR2, mids, treble, soundstage and stereo image is better on Fidelio X3.
Against Neumann, Bass it's deep and High bass is wonderful, transparency is better in SR2, mids, treble, soundstage height and deep and stereo image is better on Neumann.
SR2 has a very little soundstage no deep and height even worst than my Denon 5000 (Closed Back).
Overall performance is OK but is like the soundstage is vertical parallel and no deep, also there is no space between instrument, Neumann and Fidelio are better for a large margin in those aspects. I like only the bass because of bio driver. So price /performance is not good at all at usd300 will be ok, Now i'm interesting in AUNE AR5000, I'll buy and test it, if someone wants to buy my SR2 with no more than 5 hours of use please contact to me.
I would try some different ear pads or cable. I use Whiplash cable a lot and the soundstage is much better than what you describe, which is why I use them so much. Also position over the ears is important. And if you wear glasses, make sure the glasses aren't under the pads.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #895 of 915
Soundstage to me means instruments, notes, voices, etc., sound like they are coming from a further distance. Not directly in front or in your head. It's almost impossible for any closed back to compete with a form of open back in this regard, unless the open back is vented, or perhaps has significantly deeper cups.
If you believe you're hearing more height, width, or depth, it's from the tuning of the headphones. And that's generally accomplished through extending the presence region to a level that creates an artificial illusion. The 5200 was one of the most boxy sounding headphone I've owned. Plus they were quite uncomfortable on my head. The 9200 offered a grander presentation, but again, the upper frequencies were notched up.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #896 of 915
Soundstage to me means instruments, notes, voices, etc., sound like they are coming from a further distance. Not directly in front or in your head. It's almost impossible for any closed back to compete with a form of open back in this regard, unless the open back is vented, or perhaps has significantly deeper cups.
If you believe you're hearing more height, width, or depth, it's from the tuning of the headphones. And that's generally accomplished through extending the presence region to a level that creates an artificial illusion. The 5200 was one of the most boxy sounding headphone I've owned. Plus they were quite uncomfortable on my head. The 9200 offered a grander presentation, but again, the upper frequencies were notched up.
You need to get some Sony R-10 then. They are superb. But you will need to refoam them if they have the original foam.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #898 of 915
They have massive, vented cups. My Kennerton Gjallarhorn is impressive as well, but again, vented.
Yes, but they are superb sounding. That is the point. Many refer to them as closed but they haven't had them open. Not much leakage but it is a misnomer that they are a true closed back, as they are not. I am just glad they were made. The ES R-10 are also very fine sounding.

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #899 of 915
From specs and picture, I believe SR1/2 share 100% the same drivers, pad.
(Except the very first day SR1 has only non-perforated pad version, then perforated pad has launched later for it).

Screenshot_20240215_220057_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240129_220800_Gallery.jpg

20231217_225831.jpg

The difference is what not relate to the sound: headband assy, earcup frame.
SR2 called "Open" while SR1 called Semi-open is the only one thing: how much sound leak -> it depeding on how much driver AND chamber were sealing.
I found (SR1) at "X" places, there are 4 layers of paper kind stick together->too much it block the air (it close, air can not pass) but lacking block the sound.
Semi-open but leak as fully open.
Dont know how many paper layer on SR1 driver, may be 4, may be 2 but not 5 (from the name "Open" compare to "Semi")
We can tune/moding by changing the number of paper layer at X mark places.
My SR1 at the 2nd day after purchased was punch air vent holes at the bigger paper sheet (the right X). There is reason for it:
I could NOT love the sonic perfomance of stock. Too much bass bleed and lack of high, can not produce piano low notes...too much "omph" comes into vocal.
When iBasso release perforated pad (follow users idea), I order then with this pad and air vents, it is OK for years.

I was thought that SR1 reach its max potention after mod (together with cable change material and 2.5 balance plug, pad rotate 45deg).
When digging more, I knew I was wrong!
This driver is sensitive with any thing that change pressure behind and infront of diaphragm and ear to diaphragm distance: pad thickness, air venting, acoustic room space.
I fully removed all paper layer at the left X, it will not resisit vibration of diaphragm any more. On the right X mark paper, open a triangle 5mm x 3mm -> a way to balance the pressure.
The pad is shallow (16mm), oval shape and not angled (flat).

I must forget all memories of how SR1 sound and relistening all album again! Night and day difference!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #900 of 915
I finally started playing with the headband adjusters to make them fit better on my head. I've probably had some seal issues before because I don't remember the bass kicking this much, dayum. Like TH900-level bass slam. They sounded "good" before but now I can truly enjoy them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back