Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Dec 10, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #871 of 915
The lines should be at the very TOP of each earpiece. Line them up with the central pivot on the yoke. The widest part of the pad should be at the rear. You have them upside down.

That's why you should never take off both at the same time!

Dec 10, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #872 of 915
The lines should be at the very TOP of each earpiece. Line them up with the central pivot on the yoke. The widest part of the pad should be at the rear. You have them upside down.

That's why you should never take off both at the same time!
I'll have to look when I get home, but I believe that I did put them on with the thickest area to the rear. Thanks for the response 👍

Dec 10, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #873 of 915
I know what's going on. If I swap the left to the right, right to left, then the lines would be on the top. I don't think it matters, the openings are fairly circular.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #874 of 915
Still loving the perfection.
Even driven just out of the Lenovo

But…through the pure SILVER thanks to Ted

Happy New Year

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #875 of 915
I am sure you are correct. We all hear differently and we all have our own preferences. My top three, by a good margin, are the Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's. So I definitely like my mids and some high end along with some bass. The Elex's are the closest I have to perfect, for my preferences.

I am sure that is why I have Such a tough time finding a closed back that I can love.

I think the SR2's sound great with clean, clear music. I do find them a little fussier with music than most of my 'phones. Kind of like the T60 Argon's and HiFiman HE-R9's, in my experience.

You are correct about my aversion to EQ'ing. I am actually thinking about selling my Schiit Loki as I never use it any more. If it is too bright, I sell it. If it needs a bit of bass, I have my tube amp and bass boost on my iFi.

To be clear, I do like the SR2's, but I am listening to them in super analytic mode, as I do with any new 'phones.
I think they are too mid-forward for me to let go of. :relaxed:
How do you compares Elex’s bass and slam with Ibasso’s bass ?

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #876 of 915
Okay…now back with the balanced mode…now these phones are just there…I’m glad I had Ted put a little Buddha head splitter…nirvana…honestly unbelievable…pure full clean…I will A:B against my “TOTL” balanced phones but honestly don’t feel the need…the bass is so deep full and the timbre of the Highs are perfectly presented…
Hi, which other headphone do you compared?, how is the bass compared with some Focal headphone?

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #877 of 915
How do you compares Elex’s bass and slam with Ibasso’s bass ?
That is a pretty old post as I have changed the Elex to an OG Clear. The iBasso does have more bass. I do prefer the Clear overall, but I do enjoy the iBasso bass.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #878 of 915
That is a pretty old post as I have changed the Elex to an OG Clear. The iBasso does have more bass. I do prefer the Clear overall, but I do enjoy the iBasso bass.
Ahhh, that’s why have the question I’m also interested in the Clear OG, so how do you compared, i have an Elex and now an Elegia so I like the focal bass , ibasso has same tonal and impact or is different ?, the “ transparency and clear “ signature of focal I quite different to ibasso?, I also has a Denon had 5000 with bio driver

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #879 of 915
Ahhh, that’s why have the question I’m also interested in the Clear OG, so how do you compared, i have an Elex and now an Elegia so I like the focal bass , ibasso has same tonal and impact or is different ?, the “ transparency and clear “ signature of focal I quite different to ibasso?, I also has a Denon had 5000 with bio driver
The iBasso SR2 has stronger, deeper bass and the mids are a bit more forward. The treble is softer and might even be described as muted.
That is why the the Elex/Clear is a better overall headphone.
The Focal's are sometimes referred to as W-shaped headphones. That is because they have, for a lot of people, the perfect mix of bass, mids And treble. The full package.

My personal thoughts and feelings are:

1) I would never recommend iBasso products due to horrible build quality.

2) The Focal Clear OG is not worth the premium in price over the Elex's. They are VERY close in sound quality, to my ears.

3) The Focal Radiance's are a Huge step up from the Elegia's.

Happy hunting.

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #880 of 915
The iBasso SR2 has stronger, deeper bass and the mids are a bit more forward. The treble is softer and might even be described as muted.
The Focal's are sometimes referred to as W-shaped headphones. That is because they have, for a lot of people, the perfect mix of bass, mids And treble. The full package.

2) The Focal Clear OG is not worth the premium in price over the Elex's. They are VERY close in sound quality, to my ears.

Happy hunting.
On the SR2 all you have to do is use ear pads that have a few more holes in them and the highs open right up. Too much and the highs become dominant and the bass lacks. There is a balanced to have it all and it is in the ear pads, as the easiest way to get there.

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #881 of 915
On the SR2 all you have to do is use ear pads that have a few more holes in them and the highs open right up. Too much and the highs become dominant and the bass lacks. There is a balanced to have it all and it is in the ear pads, as the easiest way to get there.
Which pads are you using? I tried the extra set of pads. That definitely opened them up and the highs were better extended with more air, but the bass, both sub and mid, took a big dip. Too much for me.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #882 of 915
Again, it depends on which pads you use. I use the stock pads. I also own the Clear MG, and have listened to the OG.
As for general bass qualities, Ibasso has more substance and rumble. It provides more of a boom effect, but doesn't muddle or get messy. With the Clear, the bass has more tact. It offers a faster response - more quick and snappy. More attack, less decay than the Ibasso. Still plenty of. Both are layered and quite dynamic, just different in approach. I like both, but for different things and genres.
I prefer a slightly dark presentation, so the original Clear had too much going on in the presence region. I prefer the MG because it solved that annoying peak and metallic cringe I heard in the original. The Ibasso with the stock pads is even smoother and more relaxed in the treble than the MG. Mids are sort of a toss up. I prefer male vocals on the Ibasso, and female vocals on the MG. Other mid focused instruments are a bit of a toss up.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #883 of 915
I tried the second set of pads, but one pad "separated". The edge that goes into the headphone is actually two plies and one came apart.

Just another problem I had with these and I no longer bother posting them all.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #884 of 915

Happy hunting.
Many thanks for your detailed , what about soundstage , Elex is narrow than Clear?

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #885 of 915
Many thanks for your detailed , what about soundstage , Elex is narrow than Clear?
It has been quite a while since I had the Elex so I can't really say. Soundstage isn't huge for me.
I did not notice any large differences between the two 'phones. But I am not an audiophile and do not possess golden ears. I do like having three years warranty on the Clear's (less than two years now). What pushed me into upgrading was that I had read that Focal would not service "Drop" headphones after warranty. Also, MANY experts had told me that the Clear's would scale up as the Elex's never could.
That has Not been my experience. Of course my best amps are 1) iFi Pro iCAN and 2) Violectric V220. Maybe they are not high end enough to display this upscaling skill. I compared the two for weeks on all my amps and found no appreciable difference.

One regret with the OG Clear's is the very light grey headband and pads. For a guy with oily skin and sometimes hair, that is a PITA! Most people then have to buy headband covers and different earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back