Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Aug 26, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #137 of 915
Aug 27, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #138 of 915
I've noticed today that the second pair of pads is not spare but actually different kind of pads. They look similar but have less but much bigger holes in them. Change in sound is very dramatic. SR2 transform from warmer, rich and more relaxed presantation to more analytical, quite bright and detail oriented with weaker bass and more open and airy up top. We now have more vicious attack that was a little bit missing on the pads with smaller holes unfortunately they are also harsher and can be sibilant if there is sibilance in the recording they are now not smoothing this out.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #139 of 915
I have been wanting to pick these up but the lack of the desired cable termination has been hindering me. Could you guys please suggest a reasonably priced/good 2.5mm terminated cable or adapter to use with these?.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #140 of 915
I have been wanting to pick these up but the lack of the desired cable termination has been hindering me. Could you guys please suggest a reasonably priced/good 2.5mm terminated cable or adapter to use with these?.
The Meze 99 Classics basic upgrade, balanced cable comes to mind.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #144 of 915
I've literally just posted my review although it's written in polish but google translate does a decent job :wink:
https://www.audionervosa.pl/2020/08/ibasso-sr2-recenzja-dwa-w-cenie-jednego.html

Thank you for sharing the review! Compared to other people here who got the headphones, your approach was significantly more reasonable and logical (which I appreciated).
You mentioned the Qudelix 5k, which I also have. Did you also try the balanced connection with any noticeable improvement?
I've actually ordered a pair from audioheaven as well. Expecting them next week. You also compared them with the Arya in terms of sound staging, which is quite a compliment. Any other parallels you can draw between the two and how they stack up?
Would have liked to see comparisons to other headphones as well, even though you did drop hints of them hitting a bit above their price. Comparisons might help establish good points of reference when done correctly.

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #145 of 915
Thank you for sharing the review! Compared to other people here who got the headphones, your approach was significantly more reasonable and logical (which I appreciated).
You mentioned the Qudelix 5k, which I also have. Did you also try the balanced connection with any noticeable improvement?
I've actually ordered a pair from audioheaven as well. Expecting them next week. You also compared them with the Arya in terms of sound staging, which is quite a compliment. Any other parallels you can draw between the two and how they stack up?
Would have liked to see comparisons to other headphones as well, even though you did drop hints of them hitting a bit above their price. Comparisons might help establish good points of reference when done correctly.

I've tested the SR2 with the stock cable so on unbalanced connection only. I mostly used Grace Design M9XX, Ibasso DX160 and Sony WM1A for the evaluation of the sound.

I compared the soundstage to Arya in terms that's it's bult in similar fasion with great layering, depth and width. Arya however has larger soundstage but it also puts you further back and on SR2 music feels closer to you. Arya has way more boosted treble with similar quality to the SR2 so very good but not yet amazing which is quite a compliment for a 500$ headphone. Arya has linear bass that goes the the very bottom and in terms of quantity I would say it's neutral. SR2 has much more bass, which feels fuller and deeper because the rumble is more perceptible. Bass slam is on similar level. When it comes to midrange other than very small dip Arya feel more neutral and more much more forward, clearer and brighter. Arya feels more detailed and I think it has a better resolution but not much. SR2 is better built and feels more sturdy with all metal construction. Arya's plastic cups are laughable at it's price point in my opinion. Is Arya the better sounding headphone? Yes but not really by that much. It's definately way different and has more of a wow factor because it's brighter and has bigger soundstage. However considering it's over 3 times the price and it's built is worse that means that price to performance ratio is much lower.

I didn't put comparisons because I don't own any other over ear headphones from a similar price bracket. I'm more of a high end IEM guy :wink: The SR2 direct competition is probably Hifiman Sundara, Fostex Th610 or Denon D5200 but I've never heard any of these so can't really comment. Couple of pages earlier in this thread I've made comparison to the Focal Elear as well.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #146 of 915
Got them delivered early this morning, first quick impressions after 30 minutes or so just vs my LCD-2C's:

Vs the LCD2-Classics (With Dekoni pads): They are alright.
* More forward mids with male voices, vocals are more in your face compared to the other sounds in the record
* Less detail in the background music (On one of my songs there was a part in the chorus that I could barley make out on the SR2 vs on my LCD-2 where it was clear as day)
* Soundstage is about the same as the LCD-2, no significant difference either way
* Imaging is worse or equal to the LCD2, seems like its mainly song dependent. On badly mastered songs the LCD-2 is easier to listen to, due to the SR2 seemingly trying to mix the vocals and background music together into one sound. On well mastered music the difference is insignificant between the two.
* Bass is different. Mid bass is more plentiful on these with a bigger boom (as expected with dynamic headphones) but the subbase is lacking and the LCD-2 sounds more full/natural, though less punchy. Sometimes the mid bass of the SR2 actually bleeds over into the vocals (Again, mastering matters a lot for these), but most of the time its fine.
* They leak less sound compared to other open-backs, and putting my hand over the ear cups barley changes the music (if there's any effect at all). I would say they feel like closed headphones, but they sound open when you are listening to them. These are definitely more semi-open.
* The female vocals and the highs are actually subdued compared to the LCD-2s. I would say these sound darker then my pair of LCD2 Classics with the Dekoni pads (I was definitely not expecting this.) Haven't found a song yet for female pop music that I don't vastly prefer on my LCD's

This is just my first early impressions though, they come with different pads that change the sound that might make them better for me but I want to give these regular pads a good run first. Will be listening most of the day and comparing to the t1.2s and the AD1000X's but I already have a decent first impression. If I had to judge now after 30 minutes I would say they are worth the $550, but I don't know how much exactly they hit above it.

Headphones typically sound better to me with about 3-4 hours of listening on them so I'll post back after about that time!

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #147 of 915
Hello,
in the following I would like to give you my sound impressions of the new IBASSO SR2:

In search for audiophile gems, headphones in the price segment around 500 Euros usually arouse my immediate interest. Quite often I receive inquiries from interested folks on Musicalhead, who are dealing with the purchase of a high-end headphone for the first time and ask me for advice.

The object of desire should of course have an appealing finish, independently of the musical genre, a perfectly balanced performance and guarantee optimal long-term suitability for relaxed music enjoyment with soft sibilants. The possibility of driving the headphones to dynamic peak performance using a simple smartphone is often on the checklist of the prospective Grail Knight of Sound, as is the spatially perfect reproduction of even the smallest details.

And of course, it should be possible to purchase this legendary acoustic woolly milk pig at a maximum price of 500 euros. Well, that's what I call an announcement. With the brand-new SR2 headphones, the small Chinese manufacturer IBASSO is currently presenting a dynamic candidate in exactly this price range, which could definitely meet the above-mentioned requirement profile.

The designated successor of the former limited edition IBASSO SR1 is characterized by a new design language in addition to the already known technical attributes of the SR1 and promises the same haptic quality by means of high-quality materials. With the official offer of 500,- Euro the IBASSO SR2 remains within the set price range and is therefore explicitly recommended for a detailed review on Musicalhead.

Packaging & Equipment

The IBASSO SR2 is delivered in a three-color silver cardboard box, which is provided on the front side with the corresponding product designation and on the back side with a detailed data sheet of the ear loudspeaker including the corresponding specifications.

The headphones themselves are stored in a black hard-shell box, which should protect the SR2 from all eventualities. A second set of ear cushions with a slightly coarser perforation is not missing in this package, nor is an English manual and the obligatory warranty card.

The detachable and very high-quality looking 1.80 long connection cable made of a combined copper/silver alloy has a 3.5 mm jack plug on the side of the playing partner, which can easily be extended to 6.3 mm using the included and screwable adapter.

Compared to its direct predecessor (MMCX connections), the contact to the driver housings of the SR2 is now ensured by two 3.5 mm jack plugs - a solution that is certainly more contact stable.

Quality & Wearing Comfort

Like the SR1, the IBASSO SR2 is excellently manufactured. The new ear loudspeaker from the Chinese manufacturer spoils the eye with a selection of materials that are not necessarily taken for granted in this price range.

The driver housing and forks are made entirely of aluminum, as are the rotatable connecting elements for the flexible bracket construction made of spring steel. For the padded headband cowhide leather is used, the two ear pad sets are made of a soft and skin-friendly protein leather, which provides a very pleasant contact feeling.

The semi-open headphones also feature two black-painted, round outer grids made of finely perforated sheet steel, which in my opinion provide a very good contrast to the silver-colored housings of the dynamic cone drivers.

Moreover, the wearing comfort of the SR2 is excellent. Not only the contact pressure of the ear cups was chosen moderately, but also the relatively wide headband can be easily adjusted to any head size due to its generous adjustment range. The final adjustment can be fixed by 2 small allen screws on each side.

And because the IBASSO also offers my ears enough room to develop at any time, the SR2 fades into the background after only a few minutes of music playback, allowing many hours of unadulterated listening pleasure. The relatively low weight of 395 g certainly contributes to this, especially since the ergonomically shaped leather strap distributes the pressure very evenly on the head.

Technology

The IBASSO SR2 has low-mass cone drivers made of high-strength bio-cellulose, which, according to the manufacturer, should be able to achieve relatively large diaphragm deflections with linear transient response via an elastic silicone suspension.

The high magnetic flux density of a Tesla magnetic structure is used to optimize the fine dynamic qualities of the headphones. According to IBASSO, resonance-induced distortion is reduced to an absolute minimum by means of targeted damping of the driver diaphragms, thus enabling a lifelike listening experience.

With an uncritical impedance of only 24 ohms and the excellent efficiency of 108 dB/mW, the SR2 should also be easy to operate and therefore harmonize perfectly with mobile players. Which of course still had to be proven.

Preparation

For this reason, as a representative of the mobile faction, I choose the new ASTELL&KERN SA700, which has only average drive power, but is capable of playing along with the very big ones in terms of sound. Using the MYTEK BROOKLYN DAC+, I will also determine the hearing ability of the IBASSO SR2 to scale with the corresponding frontend.

The MYTEK is controlled by my APPLE iMAC, which is optimized with AUDIRVANA+ software. A CHORD EPIC cable set serves as an adequate USB connection. For their musical use, once again the usual suspects from pop, rock, jazz and classical music are used, naturally in the usual HighRes resolution.

However, the IBASSO SR2 should be played carefully before the first acoustic in-ear recording. In my opinion, at least 24 hours must be allowed for the Chinese ear loudspeaker to develop its full sonic potential.

Sound Test

Especially in combination with the MYTEK BROOKLYN DAC+, the new IBASSO SR2 impressively demonstrates that no innovative technologies are required to convince musically in the 500 Euro price class. Because these headphones do everything right from the start.

The SR2 quality is not necessarily defined by impressive sonic results in individual frequency ranges, but is first and foremost characterized by outstanding tonal balance and irrepressible playing pleasure. The Chinese ear loudspeaker also demonstrates a very special sensitivity for all kinds of music by hitting the musical intention exactly on the spot.

This is great cinema and leaves me speechless in the first minutes of listening. Quite a few manufacturers would call up a rather 4-digit amount for this acoustic performance. Because the SR2 undoubtedly plays far beyond its price tag and positions itself in the 1,000 Euro class without any problems.

The special way in which the IBASSO plunges into any sonic event is also due to its enormous impulse fidelity and impeccable dynamic behavior. The SR2 is not only free of discoloration, but also devotes itself with great dedication to the fine-dynamic shades in music.

The bass of the IBASSO reaches deep down without, however, illuminating every corner of the frequency cellar in the last consequence. The deepest tones are better handled by orthodynamic headphones. A slight increase in the midbass range, however, skilfully conceals this small weakness without causing unattractive overlaps in the fundamental.

On the other hand, the bass of the SR2 impresses with its high basic speed and the almost perfect connection to the base tone range. The bass convinces with its generously dimensioned body without drifting too much into the warmth and thus maintains a neutral playing style.

In the midrange the IBASSO SR2 knows how to shine with wonderful and natural sound colors. Vocals and instruments are placed in the imaginary sound space with equal plasticity and clarity, the elaboration of fine musical nuances is no less phenomenal for this price class.

The subtle superficiality in the midrange is often typical for cone drivers with cellulose membranes and is IMO largely responsible for the superb detail work, simply by raising more musical information above the threshold of perception. How much does this thing cost again?

Almost as expected, the headphones do not show any weakness even in the high frequency range, but are recommended for this frequency range as well due to the seamless transition to the mids, an excellent resolution and the quasi relaxed reproduction of sibilants.

The expansion of the ear speaker in width and depth, however, is rather of an average nature, but the SR2 succeeds in acoustically shaping the room in a surprisingly transparent manner, especially in view of the half-open headphone design. This also results in an unexpectedly high isolation from outside noise.

This should simplify the mobile use of the IBASSO. Especially since the all-clear can be given in terms of performance. Even in combination with the A&K SA700, the SR2 again proves its talent for the fine tones without unduly neglecting the coarse dynamic qualities.

Only in direct comparison to the MYTEK BROOKLYN DAC+ does the actors on the virtual sound stage move a little closer together, and also in terms of audibility, separation and focusing, the stationary component sometimes shows slight advantages over its mobile counterpart. Never mind.

Final Thoughts

IBASSO has actually made it. Even the limited SR1 of the small Chinese manufacturer caused some uproar in the headphone segment, but the SR2 more or less clearly topped the first movement IMO by far.

This little wonder is not only perfectly crafted, but its perfectly balanced playback characteristics in particular invite you to listen for hours on end, because it is completely unclouded. Sleepless nights are therefore guaranteed.

The IBASSO SR2 also reproduces any tonal fare free of coloration and with a remarkable musical flow. The high efficiency of the IBASSO SR2 provides an exquisite dynamic quality, which is particularly beneficial for the joy of playing.

The SR2 fulfills all the criteria for an authentic and emotionally captivating reproduction of music, does not allow itself any blunders and at this outrageously low price is in my opinion almost a must have for every ambitious knight of the Grail of fine tones.

The fact that the Chinese ear loudspeaker also makes music with mobile equipment without any problems is the acoustic icing on the cake.

The SR2 replaces the GRADO RS2 as my price tip in the TOP10 on Musicalhead. And of course the IBASSO SR2 receives my explicit recommendation to buy. Because these headphones are truly a no-brainer.

Yours Fidelio

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #148 of 915
Hello,
in the following I would like to give you my sound impressions of the new IBASSO SR2:

In search for audiophile gems, headphones in the price segment around 500 Euros usually arouse my immediate interest. Quite often I receive inquiries from interested folks on Musicalhead, who are dealing with the purchase of a high-end headphone for the first time and ask me for advice.

The object of desire should of course have an appealing finish, independently of the musical genre, a perfectly balanced performance and guarantee optimal long-term suitability for relaxed music enjoyment with soft sibilants. The possibility of driving the headphones to dynamic peak performance using a simple smartphone is often on the checklist of the prospective Grail Knight of Sound, as is the spatially perfect reproduction of even the smallest details.

And of course, it should be possible to purchase this legendary acoustic woolly milk pig at a maximum price of 500 euros. Well, that's what I call an announcement. With the brand-new SR2 headphones, the small Chinese manufacturer IBASSO is currently presenting a dynamic candidate in exactly this price range, which could definitely meet the above-mentioned requirement profile.

The designated successor of the former limited edition IBASSO SR1 is characterized by a new design language in addition to the already known technical attributes of the SR1 and promises the same haptic quality by means of high-quality materials. With the official offer of 500,- Euro the IBASSO SR2 remains within the set price range and is therefore explicitly recommended for a detailed review on Musicalhead.

Packaging & Equipment

The IBASSO SR2 is delivered in a three-color silver cardboard box, which is provided on the front side with the corresponding product designation and on the back side with a detailed data sheet of the ear loudspeaker including the corresponding specifications.

The headphones themselves are stored in a black hard-shell box, which should protect the SR2 from all eventualities. A second set of ear cushions with a slightly coarser perforation is not missing in this package, nor is an English manual and the obligatory warranty card.

The detachable and very high-quality looking 1.80 long connection cable made of a combined copper/silver alloy has a 3.5 mm jack plug on the side of the playing partner, which can easily be extended to 6.3 mm using the included and screwable adapter.

Compared to its direct predecessor (MMCX connections), the contact to the driver housings of the SR2 is now ensured by two 3.5 mm jack plugs - a solution that is certainly more contact stable.

Quality & Wearing Comfort

Like the SR1, the IBASSO SR2 is excellently manufactured. The new ear loudspeaker from the Chinese manufacturer spoils the eye with a selection of materials that are not necessarily taken for granted in this price range.

The driver housing and forks are made entirely of aluminum, as are the rotatable connecting elements for the flexible bracket construction made of spring steel. For the padded headband cowhide leather is used, the two ear pad sets are made of a soft and skin-friendly protein leather, which provides a very pleasant contact feeling.

The semi-open headphones also feature two black-painted, round outer grids made of finely perforated sheet steel, which in my opinion provide a very good contrast to the silver-colored housings of the dynamic cone drivers.

Moreover, the wearing comfort of the SR2 is excellent. Not only the contact pressure of the ear cups was chosen moderately, but also the relatively wide headband can be easily adjusted to any head size due to its generous adjustment range. The final adjustment can be fixed by 2 small allen screws on each side.

And because the IBASSO also offers my ears enough room to develop at any time, the SR2 fades into the background after only a few minutes of music playback, allowing many hours of unadulterated listening pleasure. The relatively low weight of 395 g certainly contributes to this, especially since the ergonomically shaped leather strap distributes the pressure very evenly on the head.

Technology

The IBASSO SR2 has low-mass cone drivers made of high-strength bio-cellulose, which, according to the manufacturer, should be able to achieve relatively large diaphragm deflections with linear transient response via an elastic silicone suspension.

The high magnetic flux density of a Tesla magnetic structure is used to optimize the fine dynamic qualities of the headphones. According to IBASSO, resonance-induced distortion is reduced to an absolute minimum by means of targeted damping of the driver diaphragms, thus enabling a lifelike listening experience.

With an uncritical impedance of only 24 ohms and the excellent efficiency of 108 dB/mW, the SR2 should also be easy to operate and therefore harmonize perfectly with mobile players. Which of course still had to be proven.

Preparation

For this reason, as a representative of the mobile faction, I choose the new ASTELL&KERN SA700, which has only average drive power, but is capable of playing along with the very big ones in terms of sound. Using the MYTEK BROOKLYN DAC+, I will also determine the hearing ability of the IBASSO SR2 to scale with the corresponding frontend.

The MYTEK is controlled by my APPLE iMAC, which is optimized with AUDIRVANA+ software. A CHORD EPIC cable set serves as an adequate USB connection. For their musical use, once again the usual suspects from pop, rock, jazz and classical music are used, naturally in the usual HighRes resolution.

However, the IBASSO SR2 should be played carefully before the first acoustic in-ear recording. In my opinion, at least 24 hours must be allowed for the Chinese ear loudspeaker to develop its full sonic potential.

Sound Test

Especially in combination with the MYTEK BROOKLYN DAC+, the new IBASSO SR2 impressively demonstrates that no innovative technologies are required to convince musically in the 500 Euro price class. Because these headphones do everything right from the start.

The SR2 quality is not necessarily defined by impressive sonic results in individual frequency ranges, but is first and foremost characterized by outstanding tonal balance and irrepressible playing pleasure. The Chinese ear loudspeaker also demonstrates a very special sensitivity for all kinds of music by hitting the musical intention exactly on the spot.

This is great cinema and leaves me speechless in the first minutes of listening. Quite a few manufacturers would call up a rather 4-digit amount for this acoustic performance. Because the SR2 undoubtedly plays far beyond its price tag and positions itself in the 1,000 Euro class without any problems.

The special way in which the IBASSO plunges into any sonic event is also due to its enormous impulse fidelity and impeccable dynamic behavior. The SR2 is not only free of discoloration, but also devotes itself with great dedication to the fine-dynamic shades in music.

The bass of the IBASSO reaches deep down without, however, illuminating every corner of the frequency cellar in the last consequence. The deepest tones are better handled by orthodynamic headphones. A slight increase in the midbass range, however, skilfully conceals this small weakness without causing unattractive overlaps in the fundamental.

On the other hand, the bass of the SR2 impresses with its high basic speed and the almost perfect connection to the base tone range. The bass convinces with its generously dimensioned body without drifting too much into the warmth and thus maintains a neutral playing style.

In the midrange the IBASSO SR2 knows how to shine with wonderful and natural sound colors. Vocals and instruments are placed in the imaginary sound space with equal plasticity and clarity, the elaboration of fine musical nuances is no less phenomenal for this price class.

The subtle superficiality in the midrange is often typical for cone drivers with cellulose membranes and is IMO largely responsible for the superb detail work, simply by raising more musical information above the threshold of perception. How much does this thing cost again?

Almost as expected, the headphones do not show any weakness even in the high frequency range, but are recommended for this frequency range as well due to the seamless transition to the mids, an excellent resolution and the quasi relaxed reproduction of sibilants.

The expansion of the ear speaker in width and depth, however, is rather of an average nature, but the SR2 succeeds in acoustically shaping the room in a surprisingly transparent manner, especially in view of the half-open headphone design. This also results in an unexpectedly high isolation from outside noise.

This should simplify the mobile use of the IBASSO. Especially since the all-clear can be given in terms of performance. Even in combination with the A&K SA700, the SR2 again proves its talent for the fine tones without unduly neglecting the coarse dynamic qualities.

Only in direct comparison to the MYTEK BROOKLYN DAC+ does the actors on the virtual sound stage move a little closer together, and also in terms of audibility, separation and focusing, the stationary component sometimes shows slight advantages over its mobile counterpart. Never mind.

Final Thoughts

IBASSO has actually made it. Even the limited SR1 of the small Chinese manufacturer caused some uproar in the headphone segment, but the SR2 more or less clearly topped the first movement IMO by far.

This little wonder is not only perfectly crafted, but its perfectly balanced playback characteristics in particular invite you to listen for hours on end, because it is completely unclouded. Sleepless nights are therefore guaranteed.

The IBASSO SR2 also reproduces any tonal fare free of coloration and with a remarkable musical flow. The high efficiency of the IBASSO SR2 provides an exquisite dynamic quality, which is particularly beneficial for the joy of playing.

The SR2 fulfills all the criteria for an authentic and emotionally captivating reproduction of music, does not allow itself any blunders and at this outrageously low price is in my opinion almost a must have for every ambitious knight of the Grail of fine tones.

The fact that the Chinese ear loudspeaker also makes music with mobile equipment without any problems is the acoustic icing on the cake.

The SR2 replaces the GRADO RS2 as my price tip in the TOP10 on Musicalhead. And of course the IBASSO SR2 receives my explicit recommendation to buy. Because these headphones are truly a no-brainer.

Yours Fidelio
Excellent review, excellent writing skills. Was definitely a pleasant read.

Just something I'd like to bring up - iBasso is by no means a small company. They have been in existance for almost 2 decades, they also have distributors all over the world. One thing is for sure, and that's that they have one outstanding team behind their products. Serious engineers are the people who are bringing these amazing products!

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #149 of 915
Ok after an entire day of listening and comparing, I can say this. If your on a budget of around $500 and want just one good all-round headphone then I would absolutely recommend these, not sure what else outside of maybe a Sundara (Which I haven't heard) can do most genres this well. But if you start comparing these to a more specialized headphone with a specific sound signature your looking for or are willing to go higher priced ($800+) you can probably skip these.

These are very good at $500. But their biggest problem is they either don't excel at anything and are just good/great, they don't have the clear detail retrieval you get at higher priced brackets and/or they cant handle a lot of various sounds going on at once and start sounding muffled, instantly losing any sort of clear sound they had going on.

For songs with not a lot going on, I prefer these over my other headphones most of the time. The mids here are wonderfully done and most vocals sound pretty balanced. The bass is very punchy and holds its own with any headphone (as long as your not a basshead) as its very tastefully done, punchy and fun. The imaging is on point as long as there aren't too many instruments going on and the soundstage is just big enough to not desire any more. But many songs have a section or two that add a few too many instruments and all of a sudden the headphones turns from a great experience to something fairly mixed and muffled for x amount of time ruining the flow. These drivers just cant handle a lot of things going on at once and I personally cant overlook that.

Quick summaries vs my other headphones:

The AD1000X destroys it for any vocal performance, soundstage and anything based on brass instruments but loses at everything else. It can be had for $200 used ($250 new) and is a great specialized can for that purpose.

The T1.2s have equally as good punch for the bass while retaining much much more texture. The soundstage is infinitely bigger with all instruments having more room to breathe, better separation and more detail retrieval. The SR2 has better vocals then these and feels more consistent/intimate, generally working with a nicer with variety of genres. But it cant touch the songs the T1.2 does work great for, which is more about how picky the T1.2 is vs the SR2 being better at something. The T1.2 can be had anywhere from $500 used to $800 dollars new.

The LCD-2-Classics are detail kings compared to the SR2. Almost any song I picked, there was constantly music in the background that I can clearly hear on my LCD2 in half a second of putting it on that is just not present on the SR2. Once again instrument separation is much more coherent on the LCD2 with very distinct separation vs the much closer together sound of the SR2. LCD2's play less mastered songs in a nicer laid back way that doesn't ruin the music, SR2 just gets overpowered and loses its tonality. The LCD-2's also give a more life like sound to the background instruments where the SR2's do a better job with sounds that are more present. SR2's few clear points up on the LCD2's are the mids/vocals being way more forward with a more full/lush sound and it's punchier bass. This makes the SR2 a pretty great choice for Hip-Hip and simple pop vs the LCD2 but the LCD2 wins in just about everything else. The LCD2-C is $650-ish used to $800 new.

Overall, if I didn't own any of my current gear and just had this I would like it a lot for the price. Most of the time when I didn't take time to compare the SR2s directly to my other headphones I thought they sounded great and was able to look past its flaws! It was only when I took them off, rewound a song and replayed it on another pair of headphones did I instantly hear the flaws it does posses. It does a great job putting an overall signature that sounds well made and hides what it cant do, but if you already own higher end gear I don't see a real reason to buy this as it doesn't really exceed at anything.

Its going back for me, but I'm glad I got to hear it and I probably have a new recommendation for the $500 headphone person that only wants a single pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #150 of 915
Ok after an entire day of listening and comparing, I can say this. If your on a budget of around $500 and want just one good all-round headphone then I would absolutely recommend these, not sure what else outside of maybe a Sundara (Which I haven't heard) can do most genres this well. But if you start comparing these to a more specialized headphone with a specific sound signature your looking for or are willing to go higher priced ($800+) you can probably skip these.

These are very good at $500. But their biggest problem is they either don't excel at anything and are just good/great, they don't have the clear detail retrieval you get at higher priced brackets and/or they cant handle a lot of various sounds going on at once and start sounding muffled, instantly losing any sort of clear sound they had going on.

For songs with not a lot going on, I prefer these over my other headphones most of the time. The mids here are wonderfully done and most vocals sound pretty balanced. The bass is very punchy and holds its own with any headphone (as long as your not a basshead) as its very tastefully done, punchy and fun. The imaging is on point as long as there aren't too many instruments going on and the soundstage is just big enough to not desire any more. But many songs have a section or two that add a few too many instruments and all of a sudden the headphones turns from a great experience to something fairly mixed and muffled for x amount of time ruining the flow. These drivers just cant handle a lot of things going on at once and I personally cant overlook that.

Quick summaries vs my other headphones:

The AD1000X destroys it for any vocal performance, soundstage and anything based on brass instruments but loses at everything else. It can be had for $200 used ($250 new) and is a great specialized can for that purpose.

The T1.2s have equally as good punch for the bass while retaining much much more texture. The soundstage is infinitely bigger with all instruments having more room to breathe, better separation and more detail retrieval. The SR2 has better vocals then these and feels more consistent/intimate, generally working with a nicer with variety of genres. But it cant touch the songs the T1.2 does work great for, which is more about how picky the T1.2 is vs the SR2 being better at something. The T1.2 can be had anywhere from $500 used to $800 dollars new.

The LCD-2-Classics are detail kings compared to the SR2. Almost any song I picked, there was constantly music in the background that I can clearly hear on my LCD2 in half a second of putting it on that is just not present on the SR2. Once again instrument separation is much more coherent on the LCD2 with very distinct separation vs the much closer together sound of the SR2. LCD2's play less mastered songs in a nicer laid back way that doesn't ruin the music, SR2 just gets overpowered and loses its tonality. The LCD-2's also give a more life like sound to the background instruments where the SR2's do a better job with sounds that are more present. SR2's few clear points up on the LCD2's are the mids/vocals being way more forward with a more full/lush sound and it's punchier bass. This makes the SR2 a pretty great choice for Hip-Hip and simple pop vs the LCD2 but the LCD2 wins in just about everything else. The LCD2-C is $650-ish used to $800 new.

Overall, if I didn't own any of my current gear and just had this I would like it a lot for the price. Most of the time when I didn't take time to compare the SR2s directly to my other headphones I thought they sounded great and was able to look past its flaws! It was only when I took them off, rewound a song and replayed it on another pair of headphones did I instantly hear the flaws it does posses. It does a great job putting an overall signature that sounds well made and hides what it cant do, but if you already own higher end gear I don't see a real reason to buy this as it doesn't really exceed at anything.

Its going back for me, but I'm glad I got to hear it and I probably have a new recommendation for the $500 headphone person that only wants a single pair of headphones.
So no speed metal 😕?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back